Big heavy racks, that I need to move (with herbies)

weirdcuba

Big heavy racks, that I need to move (with herbies)
« on: 19 Jul 2018, 01:15 am »
I have two hip high double level racks with a power conditioner and a big mono block on each level. With the rack, I think each one is likely about 200 pounds. The BUT is that I need to slide them in and out periodically across wood floors to access the backs of my rack with source components on it. Despite hours on the herbies site, I am unable to deduce what solution from herbies would be best for this application. Right now, they’re on spikes with a homemade slider underneath them. Works ok to keep from scratching the floor, but nothing I can rely on to create access to the back of the racks.

So, I need a recommendation to allow me to slide a 200 pound rack with spikes about a foot across a hardwood floor periodically when I need to get back there to change a wire or something.

Thanks in advance.

Photon46

Re: Big heavy racks, that I need to move (with herbies)
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2018, 05:18 pm »
https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Furniture-Movers-Floor-Types/dp/B001WAK5VQ/ref=br_lf_m_y6pm4rha6fxj4ha_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=hi

I have both the felt and hard slider versions of those, they probably won't work. With 200 lbs. on a spiked rack, the spikes will probably punch right through the thick felt sliders (ask me how I know :duh: ) and the hard sliders only work on carpeted floors, not hardwood.

Photon46

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2018, 07:43 pm »
FWIW, I have a similar situation with my double wide Billy Bags rack. However, instead of spikes, that rack has flat glider feet that have a profile like the products Scotty linked to. When we removed carpet and installed hardwood in the listening room, I attached 1/8" thick self adhesive discs of dense felt to the underside of the glider feet and it works like a charm on hardwood. As long as the receiving pocket for the spike tip in the disc is deep enough to hold the spike in place when you move the rack, you could use those with felt to do the same thing. Home stores like Lowes have many different sizes of the felt discs. If you need to trim them, heavy duty sewing shears do the trick.

If you have access to a drill press, you can modify the aluminum slider feet to have a deeper pocket as well.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2018, 10:58 pm »
My main rack is out in the room with a power conditioner behind it.. And the TV rack is at an angle so I can always get behind it. So I can just reach over and reach the volume knob!
I realized years ago to stop bothering with moving them. just I leave it out where I can always get behind it. Solved ENDLESS problems.

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2018, 12:02 am »
How about the solution to moving big, heavy things that appeared about 5500 years ago - the wheel.

The leg would have to be re-drilled and tapped for the threaded stem
http://www.alcosales.com/pc_combined_results.asp?pc_id=F8BE4547C711447DAE7CA76BFA384702

Many different styles to choose from, here is one example

weirdcuba

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2018, 02:47 am »
What about herbie’s giant cone/spike decoupling gliders?

billc

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2018, 05:51 am »
I use Herbie's cone/spike decoupling gliders under my very heavy speakers and they work very well! They slide well on hardwood floors, and are firm enough that they allow vibrations to drain out of the speakers. 

Two recommendations: first, when moving the rack/cabinet, move it slowly, because only the weight of the cabinet is keeping the spikes locked into the glider cone indentations (and I have almost pulled the spikes out of the glider indentations during less than careful moves), and second, the magic slider base will scratch and roughen over time (years) which makes my first recommendation even more important. 

Bill C

bacobits1

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2018, 10:08 am »
Mine is about 200lbs also. What I do is on hardwood, use those aluminum spike cups come in various sizes.
Stick on thick felt discs to the discs Lowe's has them. Spray a little Pledge on the floor, viola they move quite easily!
My speakers are 120 lbs each that is where I started this.
I do use Herbie's everywhere else.