Cherry Amplifier® ---- What We're About 🍒

Big Red Machine

Re: lower power Cherry???
« Reply #460 on: 28 Jun 2009, 05:32 pm »
We received so many questions about lower power amps over the last few years.  The DAC4800A, Cherry, and Cherry PLUS all put out more than 1000W total (500Wpc).

We are now working on a new model, the Cherry jr, with a smaller and lighter transformer.  It still puts out plenty of power at 180Wpc into 8 ohms and 360Wpc into 4 ohms.  SNR is still more than 110dB.  The sound is just as fast and dynamic as Class-A at high levels and and just as smooth and detailed as tubes at low levels.  We plan an early adopter special before this model goes up on DigitalAmp.com.  Pricing is not set at this point.  If you would like to receive news about availability, please sign up for our confidential newsletter here:
http://www.DigitalAmp.com/news.htm

By the way, we have one Cherry demo unit available (not the Cherry PLUS).  Thanks, and hope you are all well.

I have a 4800A and am very impressed with it.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Digital Amplifier Company DAC4800A and Cherry amps
« Reply #461 on: 28 Jun 2009, 05:47 pm »
You are you using for the front end of your DAC4800A BRM? Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin

Big Red Machine

« Reply #462 on: 28 Jun 2009, 06:21 pm »
TP into an Electrocompaniet 4.5 preamp.

Waiting on the return of my Bella Purity pre from Bill to try that out.  Also am selling the TP and going with a SB and maybe an AudioSector DAC.  I canceled the order for the EC ECD1 DAC after seeing how much to mod it.

While using the Archos speakers I have to calm the system down as they are very unforgiving with stock TP's or I assume very analytical DACs.  I'm hoping the NOS AS DAC will be the ticket.  I usually like more detailed electronics but staying short of tubed DACs this might work.

That 4800 is absolutely the 600 lb. gorilla in the room.  Way more instantaneously powerful than the Wyred amps.  The 600 hp Corvette that can light the tires up in all gears.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #463 on: 28 Jun 2009, 06:33 pm »
TP into an Electrocompaniet 4.5 preamp.

Waiting on the return of my Bella Purity pre from Bill to try that out.  Also am selling the TP and going with a SB and maybe an AudioSector DAC.  I canceled the order for the EC ECD1 DAC after seeing how much to mod it.

While using the Archos speakers I have to calm the system down as they are very unforgiving with stock TP's or I assume very analytical DACs.  I'm hoping the NOS AS DAC will be the ticket.  I usually like more detailed electronics but staying short of tubed DACs this might work.

That 4800 is absolutely the 600 lb. gorilla in the room.  Way more instantaneously powerful than the Wyred amps.  The 600 hp Corvette that can light the tires up in all gears.

I'm betting you're gonna like the Bella Purity pre with the 4800. I absolutely love this crystal clear sounding amp with tube's in front of it. Maybe a little too much clear with solid stage front end (depending on the loudspeaker being used) but you gotta love that crystal clear presentation when a little pinch of warmth is injected into the mix. Hopefully you'll post something when you get that Musica Bella Purity pre.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Cherry jr / PMs
« Reply #464 on: 2 Jul 2009, 12:16 pm »
Thanks, guys, for the comments on the 4800A.  The Cherry jr is a lot like the 4800A sonically.

Anyway, I have received a few PMs already, so they must be working for some people.  We're still having a hard time with our site host (WebAir) regarding the newsletter page.  This happened before.  Suddenly, something stops working on our site without any changes on our part.  Hopefully, WebAir will fix this today.

If you don't want to send a PM, just email DACSales@DigitalAmp.com with your first and last name in the message.  Thanks again...

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: Cherry jr / PMs
« Reply #465 on: 4 Jul 2009, 05:11 am »
If you don't want to send a PM, just email DACSales@DigitalAmp.com with your first and last name in the message.  Thanks again...

In fact, I'm receiving AC messages, but can't seem to send them (or reply), so please use email for now (address above).  I have notified the "sys op"...  Thanks.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Happy 4th
« Reply #466 on: 4 Jul 2009, 06:17 pm »
Just wishing all fellow Americans a happy and safe July 4th holiday!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Can now send or reply to AC private messages
« Reply #467 on: 6 Jul 2009, 04:56 pm »
I can now send (and reply to) personal messages on AC.  I went through several computers before this would work, and Google Chrome seemed to work on a PC where IE didn't.  Hmmmm.

Anyway, we're getting closer to "Cherry jr" day, so let us know if you are interested...

Thanks, all.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Cherry demo unit available
« Reply #468 on: 18 Jul 2009, 05:55 pm »
Special low price on a Cherry demo.  It's in perfect shape with less than 100 hours of use.  Here's the link:
http://www.digitalamp.com/Cherry_amp2_spec_may2009.htm

It's the same link as we used for our subscriber only offer in May.  You don't need to be a newsletter subscriber to use the link now.

By the way, we are still working on a fix for our newsletter form.  Webair said they will move the site to another server, and we are waiting for that.  So, if you want to subscribe, just send me a private message.  Thanks.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Cherry Demo
« Reply #469 on: 20 Jul 2009, 01:46 am »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Cherry jr
« Reply #470 on: 22 Jul 2009, 12:07 pm »
We have been asked about a release date for Cherry jr, but we don't have one yet.  Probably in a month or so...  Thanks.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #471 on: 9 Aug 2009, 08:49 am »
I just acquired a 4800a from Lapsan (orientalexpress.) 

I love this amp already.  Did someone say 600lb. gorilla?  Maybe the 600hp Corvette is the more apt image, because the finesse and clarity is there, too.  Maybe M3?  M6?  Bass?  I turned off my subwoofers when I fired up this amp to hear what it can do unadultered.  I haven't turned my subs on since.  I don't want do deal with their mud.  This bass is clean and tight.  I feel like I should hook my previous amp back up to give it something more of a head to head comparison - but I can't be bothered.  The 4800a is some serious stuff.  I think I'm ready for the SPTech TP3.0s whenever they arrive.  I am experiencing some fatigue when listening at moderately high levels for extended periods, but this is not unusual in and of itself.  I have sensitive ears that are easily fatigued - what is unusual is the desire to keep turning it up!

Speakers: SPTech AV-2
Preamp: Nuforce P8
Source: Emu1212m

Important - the supplied adapters created an awful hum.  Some XLR mic cables from the Nuforce P8 to the 4800a fixed the problem.  Lapsan told me that RCA to XLR cables also work well, for those who do not have balanced output from their preamp.

Monty Alexander - My America, Telarc, has some explosive microdynamics.  The AV-2 are sealed and I never thought they had much bass heft, but they're strutting their stuff on this CD/amplifier combo.  Take this with a grain of salt, I just bought this CD and have not listened to it with any other system.

But I don't think it's just this CD.  This amplifier has some serious control and it's energy efficient, too?  Get outta here!  :o

Big Red Machine

« Reply #472 on: 9 Aug 2009, 01:57 pm »
Effortless power, huh!? 8)

rms

« Reply #473 on: 9 Aug 2009, 03:56 pm »
"The 4800a is some serious stuff.  I think I'm ready for the SPTech TP3.0s whenever they arrive."

Hey ooheadsoo, you are going to love the 4800a with the TP 3.0's. It sounds incredibly sweet with my Continuum's. The bass is phenomenal, the soundstage is huge, every note is crystaline and not remotely fatiguing. I can listen to it all day and it sounds just as exquisite after 8 hours.

orientalexpress

« Reply #474 on: 9 Aug 2009, 06:54 pm »
i doing moonwalk as i listening michael jackson thriller album.4800a is a great amp but i have to give up something to get something :thumb:.oh btw,cherry plus is freaking awsome.if 4800a go to 11,cherry plus amp go to 15. :thumb:

lapsan

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #475 on: 9 Aug 2009, 07:02 pm »
Tommy's amps work very well with the SP Tech speakers....as you've been hearing. Strong point about the SP Tech's...they love good clean power...and really shine when its available...and his amps deliver that in spades...happy listening !

Chris

aaron smithski

« Reply #476 on: 11 Aug 2009, 09:23 pm »
Does anybody know how well the 4800a would handle a difficult to drive speaker? I have a pair of Martin Logan CLS IIa electrostats that need something with serious b@ll$ to drive them.  :green:
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2009, 06:20 pm by aaron smithski »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #477 on: 11 Aug 2009, 10:37 pm »
Tommy?

I'm pretty sure they have enough b@ll$, but Tommy would be best to pipe in unless another estat owner is wandering by.

I had Acoustat 3300's in the 90's.  Loved 'em.  Drove them with a Hafler XL600.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #478 on: 13 Aug 2009, 03:35 pm »
Does anybody know how well the 4800a would handle a difficult to drive speaker? I have a pair of Martin Logan CLS IIa electrostats that need something with serious b@ll$ to drive them.  :green:

In a word, "excellent".  We have customers driving Acoustat and Quads (said to be the most difficult load) with great results --- loads of immediate power, superb detail, and wide imaging.  Thanks.

Best Regards,
Tommy

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #479 on: 13 Aug 2009, 06:48 pm »
$2000 for a Cherry demo unit with smaller transformer:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69956.new#new

Send a PM if interested.

Thanks!