Our Ultravalve Tube Amp is Ready!

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
Re: Our Ultravalve Tube Amp is Ready!
« Reply #120 on: 19 Mar 2010, 10:53 am »
The "catch" when bridging vacuum tube amplifiers is that you need to go down to the next lower output transformer matching tap for correct impedance matching to the speaker.  A 16 ohm speaker looks like an 8 ohm load to a bridged amp, an 8 ohm speaker a 4 ohm load and so on.

Does this mean I would not be able to bridge the Ultravalve with my speakers, since they are 4 ohm and the Ultravalve does not have a 2 ohm tabs ?

Also is there no way to use the Ultravalve as a monoblock by combining its stereo outputs to one channel?

Thanks
Harrison

Wayner

« Reply #121 on: 19 Mar 2010, 12:39 pm »
Probably too low. However, unless you listen to your music at crushing volumes, there is still plenty of power with a single amp. I currently have my Ultravalve running my Dyanco A25XL mods and there is more then enough power. Great with vinyl.

Wayner  :D

tgp06

« Reply #122 on: 19 Mar 2010, 01:34 pm »
When I run my Songtowers (4 ohm load) with my two U70s (similar to Ultravalve) via an AVA phase inverter, I use a pair of Speltz Zeroformers set at X2 or X3 to end up with an effective load of 4 ohms or 6 ohms and use the amp's 4 ohm outputs. It seems to work fine. I have also forgotten and run them bridged without the Zeroformers for a short period with no damage. Ask Frank what he thinks.

avahifi

« Reply #123 on: 19 Mar 2010, 03:09 pm »
The drawback to not matching amplifier impedance to the speaker load is that the load acts as a voltage divider.  For example using the 4 ohm tap into a two ohm load will cut the voltage output of the amp in half.  Or, you are now back to the same power level that you would have had by just using one amp not bridged.  A huge waste of resources.  It won't hurt the amp, but you will gain nothing in power trying to drive low impedance loads with bridged vacuum tube amplifiers.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

P.S.  The Speltz Zeroformers might be a solution.  I would appreciate a link to them.

tgp06

« Reply #124 on: 19 Mar 2010, 05:01 pm »
Frank,
Don't know how to post a link. The email address is www.zeroimpedance.com (located somewhere in St.Paul).

I guess I know how now!

avahifi

« Reply #125 on: 19 Mar 2010, 11:30 pm »
I just bugged Paul to see if I can play with a loaner set of his 2X impedance matchers over a weekend soon.  They might allow bridging a pair of Ultravalve amps into a low impedance speakers for really really nice results.

I will let you know how this proceeds.

Frank Van Alstine

rlee8394

« Reply #126 on: 20 Mar 2010, 03:08 am »
The Dyna output transformers only have 4, 8, and 16 ohm outputs as we all know. The 16 ohm tap represents 100% of the secondary. The 8 ohm tap represents 70.7% of the secondary. The 4 ohm tap represents 50% of the secondary. Now if there were a 2 ohm tap, that would be 25% of the secondary. This is where one would want to connect a 4 ohm load (speaker) on a bridged amp, between the two 2 ohm taps in order to provide a 4 ohm load across the two transformers with respect to ground.

An alternative is to disconnect the C or 0 ohm tap from ground and instead, connect the 4 ohm tap to ground. You would then connect a 4 ohm speaker between the two 8 ohm taps. While the winding count isn't quite at 25% between the 8 ohm and 4 ohm (ground) it is 20.7% which is much closer to 4 ohms than connecting the speaker between the two 4 ohm taps.

Now this will change the feedback voltage by half since you are now supplying the feedback voltage from the center tap  (4 ohm) and the 16 ohm tap. Changing the feedback resistor from 1 K ohm to a 499 ohm resistor will get the gain back where it was. You could just as easily add a second 1 k ohm resistor in parallel to achieve the same results.

I realize that this may be beyond most listeners abilities. Those who have built the Dynakits or have done Frank's Super 70i or Ultra 70 rebuilds should have no problem. As for the UltraValve, I'm guessing the same can be done. Since most users may wish to to use 4 ohm speakers and want an UltraValve, I'm sure Frank or one of his folks could perform the change, test on the bench and report back. He may be able to configure an UltraValve in this matter for 4 ohm speaker use. Seems a more economical solution than spending $450-$950 for matching transformers. Just move one wire and add/change one resistor per channel.

Thanks,
Ron

Tom Alverson

« Reply #127 on: 20 Mar 2010, 07:46 pm »
Way to think out of the box, Ron. If you are not bridging two amps and you just needed to drive a 2 ohm speaker, you could connect it between the 4 and 8 ohm taps without any other mods.  I don't know how many 2 ohm speakers there are out there, so this would probably only apply if you were paralleling several 8 ohm speakers.

avahifi

« Reply #128 on: 31 Mar 2010, 02:45 pm »
The following is a response I just wrote to an AC viewer interested in our Ultravalve amplifier.  He asked if he could substitute some "designer type" capacitors in the Ultravalve amp for perhaps better sound.

I would like comments as to your opinions if my response was fair and appropriate.

Thanks,

Frank Van Alstine

Whoops, an error on my part.  The interstage coupling capacitors are 2.2uF at 400V not 250V.

First of all, there are no output coupling caps in the Ultravalve amplifer, the output is transformer coupled, as is most pure vacuum tube equipment.

I am doubtful if your Mundorf "silver oil" capacitors will be appropriate for this application.  I suspect they are polarized capacitors (have a marked plus and minus end).

In any event, the capacitor values we use in input and interstage applications are  8 x 2.2uF at 250V film interstage couplers and 2 x .047uF 50V film input couplers.  Both are non-polar film types and the absolute values must be matched to within 1 percent.  That means you must have a large supply of capacitors and a precision capacitor meter to make matched pairs.

Also, our PC card is laid out for the dimensions of these parts and shoehorning in something larger will result in excess lead inductance and likely unanticipated underdamped resonances.

What are the physical dimensions of the parts you are interested in?

Let me know. and if we can determine by their electrical specifications (sounds just wonderful is not a specification) and if they are the proper physical size to fit the board, and if you can supply enough of them so we have an adequate population to install matched sets, then you would be much better off having us do the installation in the first place.

We would not charge you extra for this service.

However, of course that would make the unit a "custom" one off piece and it would be necessary for you to wave the satisfaction guarantee on the purchase.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

rlee8394

« Reply #129 on: 31 Mar 2010, 02:50 pm »
Frank,

Quite fair and appropriate. Not owning an UltraValve, but instead two U70's, I think the 2.2uF interstage couplers are in fact 400 Vdc units.

Ron

Brett Buck

« Reply #130 on: 31 Mar 2010, 08:05 pm »
The following is a response I just wrote to an AC viewer interested in our Ultravalve amplifier.  He asked if he could substitute some "designer type" capacitors in the Ultravalve amp for perhaps better sound.

I would like comments as to your opinions if my response was fair and appropriate.

Thanks,

Frank Van Alstine

Certainly reasonable and sensible. But I can guess why you are asking...

Brett

p.s. in fact, I bet this is the part that caused the problem:

"Let me know. and if we can determine by their electrical specifications (sounds just wonderful is not a specification) and if they are the proper physical size to fit the board, and if you can supply enough of them so we have an adequate population to install matched sets, then you would be much better off having us do the installation in the first place."

Not inaccurate but some people are not big fans of reality. And for their capacity, they are HUGE.

« Last Edit: 2 Apr 2010, 04:26 am by Brett Buck »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #131 on: 31 Mar 2010, 09:46 pm »

Sounds most accomodating and reasonable to me.

mchuckp

« Reply #132 on: 7 Apr 2010, 01:28 am »
Next week is going to be a good week and April in general is going to be 'da bomb'.  Frank shipped my Ultravalve today and set to arrive next Monday.  Got my preorder in for the Wyred4Sound Dac-1(expected next week as well).  Also this month getting my acoustic treatments from GIK.  Recently moved into a new house and waiting for it to all come together before getting final pictures.

And to top it all off, I'm flying to Detroit for AK Fest on the 30th to hang with some good friends and check out killer gear.  What a great month.  Thanks April!  :thumb:

...And Frank.  You sir started my wonderful month this morning with the UPS notification.  I salute you. :drool:

Listens2tubes

« Reply #133 on: 7 Apr 2010, 02:11 am »
Next week is going to be a good week and April in general is going to be 'da bomb'.  Frank shipped my Ultravalve today and set to arrive next Monday.  Got my preorder in for the Wyred4Sound Dac-1(expected next week as well).  Also this month getting my acoustic treatments from GIK.  Recently moved into a new house and waiting for it to all come together before getting final pictures.

And to top it all off, I'm flying to Detroit for AK Fest on the 30th to hang with some good friends and check out killer gear.  What a great month.  Thanks April!  :thumb:

...And Frank.  You sir started my wonderful month this morning with the UPS notification.  I salute you. :drool:

LUCKY!

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #134 on: 12 Apr 2010, 11:28 pm »
I just bugged Paul to see if I can play with a loaner set of his 2X impedance matchers over a weekend soon.  They might allow bridging a pair of Ultravalve amps into a low impedance speakers for really really nice results.

I will let you know how this proceeds.

Frank Van Alstine

Have you had a chance to try the zero's?

gjs_cds

« Reply #135 on: 23 Jun 2010, 12:39 am »
Bump--I'd like to know about the zeroformers as well...

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #136 on: 26 Jun 2010, 11:25 pm »
Okie Dokie,

I just got off the phone with Frank and asked his 'elves' to build me an UltraValve Amp.. I never thought I would go back to TUBES ever!!

Solid State rules! No stinking bias adjustments etc...oh well I guess we all can change..after all its all about the music isnt it?

:eyebrows:

No what to do for a preamp?

Alex

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #137 on: 27 Jun 2010, 12:14 am »

vett93

« Reply #138 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:29 am »
Can this amp be fitted with IEC socket instead of hard-wried power cord? Thanks.

srb

« Reply #139 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:36 am »
 :)

The topic "IEC receptacles on AVA amps" was moved to the Intergalatic Wastebin several months ago.  Happy reading!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72601.0

Steve