The Life Aquatic

Carlman

The Life Aquatic
« on: 17 Jul 2005, 12:54 pm »
Has anyone seen this have any comments?  What's the background?  I watched it last night and sort of struggled with it.  

I like highly stylized movies like this one but the writing or the story was just sort of 'hacked up'... and didn't flow properly.  Basically it seemed the style clashed with the story a bit much and made for a 'choppy' ride... pun intended.

I kept liking the touches along the way and the concept but the execution seemed unfinished... making it really hard for me to enjoy.  

Has anyone else come away from this movie having enjoyed it somewhat but kind of let down also?

-C

PhilNYC

Re: The Life Aquatic
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2005, 01:07 pm »
Quote from: Carlman

I kept liking the touches along the way and the concept but the execution seemed unfinished... making it really hard for me to enjoy.  ..

Yep, I'm with you on this...exactly the way I felt about it...like it was a rough cut...

DARTH AUDIO

The Life Aquatic
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2005, 01:20 pm »
It sucked!! Turned it off half way through?? On a scale of 1 to 10.. -5

lcrim

The Life Aquatic
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2005, 06:07 pm »
I absolutely loved this movie.    The score is a masterpiece, Bowie in Portuegese.  I am also a big fan of "The Royal Tennenbaums."  
This film entertained me enormously, I loved Bill Murray here and in "Lost in Translation," and I guess I identify with the sad middle-aged man character.  I kept it on Netflix rental until I bought a copy.

Carlman

The Life Aquatic
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2005, 07:25 pm »
Quote from: lcrim
I absolutely loved this movie.    The score is a masterpiece, Bowie in Portuegese.  I am also a big fan of "The Royal Tennenbaums."  
This film entertained me enormously, I loved Bill Murray here and in "Lost in Translation," and I guess I identify with the sad middle-aged man character.  I kept it on Netflix rental until I bought a copy.

I loved a lot of things about this movie... especially the music, Bill Murray, and the style.  However, I felt it needed more 'something' to pull it all together a bit better.  I was frustrated throughout it... loving parts but not understanding others... I'll definitely watch it again and see if it makes more sense, though.

I couldn't get into the Tennenbaums... I could barely understand what people were saying in that movie... I think the mic must have been at the camera.  I tried really hard but gave up after 20 minutes or so.

-C

claud

The Life Aquatic
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2005, 10:03 pm »
I thought that this movie was a good one to rent. Entertaining, but not worth buying .