Sta-9 connection to Rel subwoofer

Bill_Bill

Sta-9 connection to Rel subwoofer
« on: 9 Sep 2020, 05:16 pm »
Hi, currently using 2 sta 9 as mono block and recently just bought a rel subwoofer, is that possible anyone can advise regarding the high level connection, should I connect the normal way (One wire to positive right and one wire to positive left and the ground wire to left negative) Or the other class d way (one wire to positive right, one wire to positive left and the ground wire just leave it with no connection). Thank you and look forward for you guys help! Cheers :)

rustydoglim

Bill_Bill

Re: Sta-9 connection to Rel subwoofer
« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2020, 10:22 pm »
Thanks and I have read that already and understand sta9 can use the high level connection but my question is should I connect it the normal way (which I mention before) treat it as a ordinary amplifier (connect both left & right positive wires and also the negative wire to the left negative) or the class d way which suggested by the Rel (only connect those positive wire and leave the negative wire disconnect). Which menthol should I use, Thanks!

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2020, 10:49 pm »
Unless Nuprime's version of Class D provides true ground through the negative speaker terminal then I would hook it up the same as any other Class D amp as the first option and if that works leave it that way.  Also matters which type of amp is in your REL as some are AB and some are Class D.

Bill_Bill

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2020, 06:43 am »
Thanks Jack, and I am thinking as per nuprime said that sta 9’s negative is also ground not floating so It should be safe to connect the black ground wire to the negative Speaker terminal. :roll: Forgot to mention that the REL sub is with class a/b amp.

Bill_Bill

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2020, 10:42 am »
Had tried to connect the normal way which black wire connect to the left speaker negative terminal, but after half an hour the left channel sta 9’ temp. is much hotter than the right channel sta9 (running mono block) so i just stopped. I do not think this is normal right?Can anyone please give me some advise what should I do about the connection of he REL sub.? leave the negative wire? Any negative effect by doin that? Or can I connect the black wire to the diy small ground box? Thank you so much and look forward for your advice!

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2020, 11:53 am »
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2020, 02:10 am by opnly bafld »

JAC_ZAR

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2020, 04:36 pm »
Just contact REL and they will help you
They helped me connect the IDA-8 to the REL T/7i via high level input
Their support is great
contactus@rel.net
https://relsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/204136287-Contact-Us

Bill_Bill

« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2020, 01:37 am »
Thanks Jaz and awaiting for the reply from REL.  :)
Just wandering is the black ground wire can be connect to any other component eg. connect to the shell of the DAC or the shell of a not in use AV receiver or a DIY ground box?

JackD

« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2020, 02:45 am »
Yes you can connect the black ground wire to another pieces ground lug even the one on a phono preamp.  The piece you connect it to does have to be plugged into power though. This is a common problem between REL subs and amps that don't provide true ground from the negative speaker terminal. 

Bill_Bill

« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2020, 06:12 am »
Understand and thanks Jack! :)

JAC_ZAR

« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2020, 06:12 pm by JAC_ZAR »

rustydoglim

« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2020, 06:07 pm »
As mentioned in the FAQ, Nuprime amps have various designs so we can generalised them as Class-D-no-true-ground. STA-9 has true ground.
Support from factory said that the black wire should be connected to the amp's left speaker positive terminal instead. Since your STA-9 is configured as mono amp, you should follow the RED markings on the back panel.
But they suggested that you provide photo of the back of your amps and REL connections.

Bill_Bill

« Reply #13 on: 12 Sep 2020, 07:45 am »
Hi, thanks for all your helpful advise, just an update, I have extended the black wire myself (due to limited length) and now I connected the black wire to one of the screw on the av receiver and no problem at the moment.

Bill_Bill

« Reply #14 on: 14 Sep 2020, 10:01 am »
Hi, I had attached the photos of the back of my amp with connection for Nuprime factory review, many thanks!

rustydoglim

« Reply #15 on: 15 Sep 2020, 11:19 pm »
Recommendation from our engineer is to use the low level input connection method.
But if you want to try the high level method:
1. don't connect the black wire to the case
2. connect REL high level to each mono STA-9's right channel +ve and -ve inputs.

Bill_Bill

« Reply #16 on: 16 Sep 2020, 12:48 am »
Thank you for the fast response! I just want to confirm that i do not connect it wrong,
Connect the red wire to the right channel of STA 9 (right side STA 9) as the blue circle of the pic and yellow wire to the right channel +ve & black wire to the right channel -ve (Left side STA 9), is that correct? So what I need to do is just hook the black wire to the right channel -ve at the left side STA 9? Thanks once again and sorry about so many questions!  :)

rustydoglim

« Reply #17 on: 16 Sep 2020, 01:21 pm »
1. Don't connect the chassis
2. Connect the red/yellow wire from REL to both connectors circled in blue.

In the opinion of our engineer, connecting from speaker output is not a good idea for sound quality. In the old days, the understanding was to have similar sound characteristic for the subwoofer and amp. And this method is used for preamp that has only one output. You don't need to do that anymore.

Anyway, what matter is what you hear, so let us know how the two different ways compare.

Bill_Bill

« Reply #18 on: 16 Sep 2020, 02:26 pm »
Now I got confused! Do you mean connect the red wire to the positive (upper binding post circle in blue) and yellow wire connect to the negative (the bottom binding post circle in blue) and both connect to either left or right side STA 9? What about the black wire?  Thanks!

JAC_ZAR

« Reply #19 on: 17 Sep 2020, 06:10 pm »
For the IDA-8 connecting to REL via high level input is a better option than via low level
It is a different kind of bass
The sound quality is much better in my opinion