Changing my power conditioning/filtering.

maty

Re: Changing my power conditioning/filtering.
« Reply #20 on: 28 Dec 2017, 06:22 pm »
Then you do not need RF/EMI filters, good ferrites...

First I tried with Schaffner RF/EMI filters. After with Würth 150 kHz ferrites and finally my DC & Ripple Blocker.

Noise + interferences > 150 kHz

* RF/EMI filters and Würth 150 kHz ferrites ( the second best I found works from 300 kHz).

Noise + interferences < 150 kHz

* Capacitors in AC line with very high ripple filtered (and low/very low ESR is a good idea too).

Folsom

« Reply #21 on: 30 Dec 2017, 02:42 am »
Uhuh...

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
« Reply #22 on: 4 Jan 2018, 04:53 am »
Anticipating the arrival of the Niagara 1000 (hereafter 'N1'), I removed my BPT Ultra 3.5 from my system and plugged all the frontend equipment into two cheap powerstrips.  The first was plugged into the outlet fed by one of my dedicated 20-amp branch circuits and the 2nd was plugged into the first.  Ended up with a fair amount of humbuzz from the speakers whether the three poweramps were plugged into the wall*, into the BTP-U3.5 which was plugged into the same wall outlet, or into the audience aR2p plugged into that same wall outlet.  My friend and I were not succesful in banishing the humbuzz, but we did reduce it a bit.

This afternoon I got a little brain-whiff**--that I should plug my DIY, heavy-duty, 12g. extension cord into the first of the outlet strips and then the amps into the extension cord's outlets.  BINGO--the humbuzz's level decreased a LOT, so that the noise was inaudible more than a couple feet from the main speakers.  EXCELLENT!

The N1 arrived this afternoon.  I was surprised at how large it is...four to five inches in 'diameter' and c. 20" long.

Haven't connected it yet, but I'll use sort of the same technique, that of plugging the frontend stuff into the five low-current outlets and the HD extension cord into the single high-current outlet.  The three amps stay plugged into the ext. cord.  Of course, the N1 is rated at 'only' 15 amps, and the three poweramps could try to draw more than that--but only if I listen at ear-bleeding levels, and I NEVER do that.  Even current draw at turn-on is easily managed by manually switching on the amps a few seconds apart.

I think this is going to work well.   :)

* the same dedicated 20-amp branch circuit just mentioned
** Some of us get brain-storms, some of us get brain-whiffs.   :?

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 5 Jan 2018, 03:01 am »
Got the N1 running tonite, with no problems.

Have the three poweramps plugged into the heavy-duty, 12g. extension cord that mounts two (cheap) duplex outlets; that cord is the RH one in both pics and is plugged into the outlet labeled High-Current.  System noise is down a bit but still audible within a foot or so of the main-speaker drivers but not audible farther away than that.

Am tempted to make a higher-quality extension cord using the Neotec UPOCC-copper 11g. powercable and AQ Edison duplex outlets, but that's another project.

Folsom

« Reply #24 on: 5 Jan 2018, 03:51 am »
Can you draw a diagram of your stuff, including the AC lines?