Diluceo's go 103 db on rat shack meter, no prob....

brad b

Well Danny is probably gonna shoot me, but had to finally crank those bad boys to see what they would do.  Mind you I've had them for 3 months, so everything is nice and settled, but I was playing Candleman by Billy McLaughlin and dialed the TL-7 to 12 o'clock, which for Tyson and myself is LOUD.  Pulled out the meter, set it to 100 and watched the needle jump right.  For those folks who want to play loud, let her rip!  Mind you I don't usually listen much over 85 db, so it was a little crazy.  The cone excursion was really less than 1/4" at most, so there was probably something left beyond where I wanted to go.  The other nice surprise is that they were clean, clean, and my REL was actually keeping up relatively well.  

Once again, if your looking for a great little MTM design, make this a must listen, as the tweeter is velvet smooth and the 5" Etons do a great job, especially since they can work together to make it tight and quick in the midrange.  Gotta go and crank it while the wife is away...
Brad

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2003, 02:36 am »
Go ahead and admit it Brad, after coming by here and hearing the Buffet cranked up you were just in the mood for loud music...  :lol:  Of course if you would have nuked the Diluceo's then it would have been my fault.  :roll:

I'm not suprised they sounded good cranked up, I really like the Diluceo's in your system.  :thumb:

brad b

Too Loud!!
« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2003, 12:27 pm »
OK Mike, yes, you were having too much fun, and I had to take the plunge before the family returned.

For those outside the Denver area, Mike has the good fortune to have a large space with plenty of depth, so it's always a pleasure to sit in his couch and spin a few tunes, cause they always sound great!  By the way, everything hooked up nicely, thank you...
Brad

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2003, 01:34 pm »
J/K of course but glad to know everything's working. :)

mca

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2003, 06:25 pm »
Just curious what what kind of amp and how much power you were feeding the Diluceo's to get that kind of output?

brad b

Diluceo cooker
« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2003, 08:07 pm »
I was using the AVA Fet Valve 350EX, little brother to the 550 at 160 watts per side I believe.  It is specifically designed to handle harder loads down to 2 ohms.  The Diluceo's run at 4 Ohms.  Keep in mind that the Diluceo is fairly efficient and does not need a huge amp, as it's sensitivity is around 92db (verify with Danny).  The amp was running clean but HOT under those conditions, and I truly never listen that loud, just thought I would give it a crank for a couple of minutes to see what it sounded like.

I should also mention that it is crossed over to a Marchand external crossover at 60 hz., so the midwoofers have a little relief on the bottom end.

The main reason for trying it is that I always thought I could play it louder than I wanted, but never measured it before.  Several people inquired about how loud it would go, so I decided to measure it.

My room is roughly 15'x18'x7.5', so it is not terribly big or tough to obtain volume.
Brad

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2003, 10:13 pm »
I checked w/Frank at AVA, and the FetValves do double their output w/each halving of impedance (but won't bo below 2 ohms very happily).  So, at 4 ohms, you've got 320 watts on tap.  Not bad :-)