There is crud in AC.

mort

Re: There is crud in AC.
« Reply #20 on: 18 Nov 2010, 04:37 pm »
The Xantrex Prosine 2.0, 2000 watt true sinewave inverter has lower garanteed THD than most of the competition when I was looking.  It also has a remote start function that makes it nice to remotely place the unit for use since it has a cooling fan.  I found a refurbished unit for about $750.  Works well for backup power. 

An interesting side is that the PS Audio Power Plant Premier has lower output distortion than the Prosine.  I measures 2% THD on the Xantrex and 0.5% THD on the PPP running from the wall.  Both work well.
Carefull with the Xantrex products, as a marine electrician I experienced a one in five return rate particularily with the pro sine units. Some time in the mid 2000's their parts were farmed out to China and the problems began. The Outback, Trace and Magnums are built in the Usa and are as of yet in my experience problem free.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #21 on: 19 Nov 2010, 10:17 pm »
I live in a neighborhood of homes built between 1900-20. Elevated power lines on the same poles as cable TV and telephone lines. The power coming into my house varies between 118 and 126 volts with a thd between 4 & 5.7%. I have a dedicated 20 amp circuit. I noticed a huge improvement (lowering of the noise floor) when I bought a PS Audio Power Plant Premier. Output power is a contastant 120 volts and the tdh is reduced to between .2 and .6%. I plugged all source gear into the PPP. I also plugged my Music Fidelity A-5cr amp into the PPP.

When I replaced the MF amp with a ModWright KWA 150, the draw was too much for the PPP so I plugged it directly into the wall. The noise floor was elevated compared to when I ran everything thorough the PPP. So I replaced a PS Audio Powerport recepticle with a PS Audio Soloist Premier in wall conditioner and bought a PI Audio Uber Buss. The Uber is plugged into the Soloist and both the KWA 150 and the PPP are plugged into separate circuits in the Uber. Source gear remains plugged into the PPP. All power cords are after market. The result is a dead quiet (black) background/noise floor allowing more detail, dynamics, etc to flow from the speakers. The improvement was more than subtle and worth every penny.

navi

« Reply #22 on: 19 Nov 2010, 11:11 pm »
why not hook-up the audio system/battery to a bike- peddle and listen at the same time. you'll get excercise and hi-fidelity at the same time. seems like a no brainer win/win situation.