Power Conditioning Assistance

carusoracer

« on: 29 Apr 2005, 03:20 pm »
Looking for power conditioning assistance in the 350-500new or used price point.
 I have heard good things from forum members and others regarding the PowerVar 1200. I'm considering one.
 On the otherhand I'm currently doing a demo with a Chang Lightspeed 605 powerline conditioner. This was the only one available. Obviously @780 a higher priced unit.
 I do not see many posts regarding the Chang Units? This is a brand new unit so my audition was limited. I can tell it is doing something different not sure what,yet. I'm also only plugging in the CD Player and PreAmp. I only use for 2 Channnel Audio listening.

Thanks in advance

Levi

« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2005, 03:57 pm »
I found Richard Gray products as a good solution in your price range.  Preferrably RGPC 400 pro.  The result are not subtle.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2005, 04:01 pm »
The Chang's have been around a long time and a friend in Philly has one and really thinks it's terrific. He had no power conditioning before, but has no real urge to hear others.  He has it on his integrated audio/video system.

You may have found a real winner for the money...they have less expensive models I know...less outlets, thinner cord, non-hospital grade receptacles as I remember were the differences.

carusoracer

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2005, 04:09 pm »
Quote from: TheChairGuy
The Chang's have been around a long time and a friend in Philly has one and really thinks it's terrific. He had no power conditioning before, but has no real urge to hear others.  He has it on his integrated audio/video system.

You may have found a real winner for the money...they have less expensive models I know...less outlets, thinner cord, non-hospital grade receptacles as I remember were the differences.

Yes, I have looked at there line quite a bit. Upgrading the outlets and or using a detachable power cord are options,but also cost...

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2005, 04:12 pm »
I second what Levi said about Richard Gray products. I have 2 of the 400s and couldn't be more satisfied as to what they have done for my system. Check them out. You won't be sorry.

skrivis

Re: Power Conditioning Assistance
« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2005, 04:38 pm »
Quote from: carusoracer
Looking for power conditioning assistance in the 350-500new or used price point.
 I have heard good things from forum members and others regarding the PowerVar 1200. I'm considering one.
 On the otherhand I'm currently doing a demo with a Chang Lightspeed 605 powerline conditioner. This was the only one available. Obviously @780 a higher priced unit.
 I do not see many posts regarding the Chang Units? This is a brand new unit so my audition was limited. I can tell it is doing something different not sure ...

I have Powervar 4 and 10 amp units for my computer equipment. They're quite well-built.

I've been toying with the idea of using one with my stereo, but it isn't quite as necessary since none of my stereo gear has switch-mode supplies. A filter might do just as much.

Power amps are also much less likely to need an isolation xformer. (And sticking another xformer in the path will likely increase the impedance, so that might not be good.)

skrivis

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2005, 05:20 pm »
Quote from: budyog
I second what Levi said about Richard Gray products. I have 2 of the 400s and couldn't be more satisfied as to what they have done for my system. Check them out. You won't be sorry.

I was just looking at their stuff, and evidently isolation transformers are evil and you should use their "parallel" power conditioner.

Oh, unless the isolation transformer is a Pole Pig or SubStation, then it's good.

Judging by the price of the Pole Pig, their products are more expensive than some competitors. Maybe you're paying for the fancy case.

I'm also a bit puzzled by their practice of using an MOV to protect your equipment, then using a fuse to protect the MOV. MOVs don't last forever, they are degraded by each surge that hits them. In other words, they're disposable.

carusoracer

« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2005, 07:20 pm »
[ I'm also a bit puzzled by their practice of using an MOV to protect your equipment, then using a fuse to protect the MOV. MOVs don't last forever, they are degraded by each surge that hits them. In other words, they're disposable.[/quote]

Interesting. Have you checked out the Chang website? I like the philosphy behind the products. Just do not know which is better at this point. :|

Occam

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2005, 09:35 pm »
What does your system consist of? This influences your options.