Do power conditioners have a life span?

avalon65

« on: 20 Jun 2005, 06:46 pm »
I'm in the market for an inexpensive power conditioner to add to my two-channel system. After determining I need at least six outlets (my monos will still be plugged directly into the wall) and determining my price range for used product, I have decided to go with a Monster HTS system (2500, 2600, 3500, etc). They are readily available on the used market(A'gon and eBay) and can be gotten on the cheap! I've heard that units from Panamax can wear out over time and loose their conditioning properties. Can the same be said about the Monster HTS series? What kind of questions should I be asking of my potential sellers?

Hanx!

ctviggen

« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2005, 07:29 pm »
Does Panamax use Metal-Oxide Varistors (MOVs)?  If so, these fail over time.  See:

http://www.surgex.ca/surgetypes.html

I have a Monster outlet center, and I'm not sure whether it uses MOVs.

Uptown Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.uptownaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2005, 03:47 pm »
Most everything will wear-out eventually in one way or another. The issue with power conditioners is two fold. They are more or less robust based upon the quality and quantity of components used as well as the implementation. Then there is the use and abuse issue. The first scenario can have components damaged electrically by absorbing a lot of overages as pointed to by the other fellow. The cheaper they are and the more complex, typically the more of an issue that is. Units that have a higher build quality and use sturdier components fair better both electrically and with repeated plugging and unplugging of gear, etc. The most durable that I am aware of is the Chang Lightspeed which does not use a lot of cheap electronics. They do have a very heavy duty MOV online, but the filtering is done in a unique way by ferrites without limiting current or introducing noise. Most power strips that we have tried actually make matters worse sonically. They may protect your equipment however and they do offer additional outlets of course. Look at some other more professional brands such as Tripp-Lite, APC, etc and buy a new unit if you can.
-Bill

Jack Gilvey

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2005, 06:42 pm »
I've been using an Adcom ACE-515 since the late 80's...seems ok.

DVV

Re: Do power conditioners have a life span?
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2005, 07:01 pm »
Quote from: avalon65
I'm in the market for an inexpensive power conditioner to add to my two-channel system. After determining I need at least six outlets (my monos will still be plugged directly into the wall) and determining my price range for used product, I have decided to go with a Monster HTS system (2500, 2600, 3500, etc). They are readily available on the used market(A'gon and eBay) and can be gotten on the cheap! I've heard that units from Panamax can wear out over time and loose their conditioning properties. Can the  ...

EVERYTHING has a life span, and conditioners are no exception.

However, since most are passive devices, in practice their life span will be probably limited by the life span of the capacitors. Depending on type and quality, this could be something like 30+ years before one of them blows for one reason or another.

This is assuming it is not abused and that it has been fairly specified; if optimistically specified, its life span could be very short.

Cheers,
DVV

Dan Banquer

Power Conditioner Life Span
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2005, 08:02 pm »
MOV's will wear out if they are constantly "hit" with spikes and surges. However If there is a choke in front of the MOV then the choke will limit the peak spike energy and extend the life span of the MOV. If I remember correctly the Tripplite Isobar Ultra series does this. I think the real question is how many of us in residential areas are hit on a consistent basis with spiking. Any ideas?
               d.b.

DVV

Re: Power Conditioner Life Span
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2005, 09:52 pm »
Quote from: Dan Banquer
MOV's will wear out if they are constantly "hit" with spikes and surges. However If there is a choke in front of the MOV then the choke will limit the peak spike energy and extend the life span of the MOV. If I remember correctly the Tripplite Isobar Ultra series does this. I think the real question is how many of us in residential areas are hit on a consistent basis with spiking. Any ideas?
               d.b.

In principle, all of the time. The question is how large are these spikes and of course, how long do they last. Usually, they are well into microseconds, typically 5-10 uS, but there are many of them.

Also, if you add a choke in front of the MOV, you kill the dynamics kinda dead. Chokes are like women - impossible to live with, worse wihtout them. :lol:

I have to stop now, because of my changed status. This afternoon, I became a manufacturer, since my company registration papers have come through.

Therefore, brother audiophiles, henceforth my comments regarding power line filters will be most lacking.

Cheers,
DVV