M901 runs hot?

chronicali

M901 runs hot?
« on: 13 Aug 2011, 08:35 pm »
Hi, I just got a M901 with no tube buffer.  It sounds great, but it seems to run really hot on the right side of the unit, even when it's on standby.  Is this normal?

Also, is it OK to leave the unit on Stand By all the time?  Or should I normally be turning it off from the back switch?

Thanks,
Alvin

dboulet

Re: M901 runs hot?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2011, 10:19 pm »
Yup, my M901 runs very hot too, this is normal. From what I understand the right side panel is used a heat sink for the chip.

I leave mine on all the time, except when it gets really hot in the summer time.

Enjoy your amp!

PSB Guy

« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2011, 11:24 pm »
Hi Alvin,

Glad to hear the amp got to you alright. I also used to leave it on stand-by all the time, and it did get fairly warm. So much so in fact that my cat climbed on it once to keep warm the first day I had it. I only let that happen once, after that I always kept a metal coaster holder on top of it so she couldn't fit up there. :nono: Bad kitty...

Cornelis

chronicali

« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2011, 02:17 pm »
Thanks for the reassuring words.

Cornelis, thanks for the great amp.  Enjoying it very much, replaced my Onix SP3. :)

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2011, 04:32 am »
Yes the right side is where the heatsink is and will run very warm/hot, more so when its playing. Two.2s also run warm, but since they are small the whole amp will feel warm when it's on.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2011, 04:59 am »
Melissa let me have one in the house again a month ago.  Crap do I like this amp (901 + buffer) playing through some Fritz speakers (a prototype he dropped off).  AMAZING!

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2011, 05:18 am »
Seth,
You should be be a proud papa. I love both of my 901 plus buffer. Tonight playing live Van Morrison through a pair  of Louis's Hoyt Bedfords custom finished to match all of my Virtue gear in dark walnut listening  near field in my photo studio.
Priceless.
Absolutely the best sound I have ever had.

A thank you does not seem adequate or fair to you.  :thumb:

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2011, 05:49 am »
Back to topic!  :lol:
Yup, my M901 runs hot too, this is normal. I ignore it! World class sound should be hot!  :thumb:
It is so hard to describe the Virtue sound!
 8) Don't want to have to kill ya!