ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #600 on: 30 Dec 2008, 02:52 am »
George mentioned favoring the Raytheons too.  (I love my Raytheon 6CG7's...no relation).  I'll look for some.  Black flat plate vt-231's?

Let us know how the tube adapter works.  If it doesn't blow up the transporter or the tubes, I might be willing to find a few orphan pairs of 6sn7 for you to report to us on how they sound in the TP

Well......it works!!  My TP didn't blow up, the tubes didn't blow up, and it's making vey nice music.  The 6SN7's are NOS RCA Silver label black plate bottom getters.  They have too few hours to say anything other than....they work!   :thumb: 

The Bolder cable octal adapters are purely prototypes right now (Wayne is a perfectionist and is not pleased with the look, and thinking about using other materials rather than heatshrink, etc....but I think they are just fine for now).  The fit is snug as they go through the top holes, but then they fit easily once through.

rydenfan

« Reply #601 on: 30 Dec 2008, 03:16 am »
Mark, thanks for taking the time to do this and report your findings - looks like we'll all be buying both the solid and mesh plate versions :green:
On a serious note what I take from your findings are that you found the solid plate marginally better, but you could live with either of them.
Phil

Phil - Forgot to answer the last part of your question.  Yes I can live with either of them.  I will keep the mesh plate as my backup and for fine tuning if my system gets a little too forward in the future. 

Mark

Mark, if you have any desire to lend out your "backup" mesh plate for a few weeks shoot me a PM  :thumb:

rydenfan

« Reply #602 on: 30 Dec 2008, 03:17 am »
Excellent news Ted! I hope to have a set within the next week or so...

funkmonkey

« Reply #603 on: 30 Dec 2008, 03:48 am »
Ted, any notable changes in gain with the 6SN7's?  I am anxious to hear what you and David find out.  Is there anything specific that you guys are looking to achieve by using the 6SN7's?  Or just more rolling fun?  :wink:
-Greg

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #604 on: 30 Dec 2008, 04:18 am »
More rolling fun really, that's all.  The 6SN7 family and their variants seem to have many more sonic options, from warm to sizzle.  The military VT-231 variant is my target right now; however the Tung Sol round/cylindrical plate is absurdly expensive.  Not on my radar expect as a demo maybe.

The gain was more like the 6CG7...probably a db or 2 higher, but not as high as the 6N1P.  That's from a simple first blush, though.

Edit:  Actually closer gain to the 6N1P's but not quite as loud (more than a db or 2 as previously mentioned though).
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2008, 05:03 am by ted_b »

orientalexpress

« Reply #605 on: 30 Dec 2008, 07:12 am »
look sweet, :thumb:,my solid plate emission lab should arrive anytime soon :drool:

lapsan

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #606 on: 31 Dec 2008, 05:05 am »
The 6SN7 RCA Silver labels present a very strong midrange sweetness, and a tighly controlled bass, but are a bit too rolled off for many of my recordings.  I'm gonna give the tubes another 40 hrs or so, though; if they clean up the top end they will be giant killers.

valvesaglowin

• Industry Participant
  • Quality is no accident
    • TubesUSA
« Reply #607 on: 9 Jan 2009, 05:11 pm »
Hello All!
          Just a brief note to let you know that the Emission Labs 5U4G Mesh tubes will be arriving before the end of this month. Thanks to all of you for showing interest!

Best,

George
TubesUSA.com

IronLion

« Reply #608 on: 9 Jan 2009, 05:35 pm »
Hello All!
          Just a brief note to let you know that the Emission Labs 5U4G Mesh tubes will be arriving before the end of this month. Thanks to all of you for showing interest!

Best,

George
TubesUSA.com

Hi George, do you have solid plates on order as well?  Thanks.

valvesaglowin

• Industry Participant
  • Quality is no accident
    • TubesUSA
« Reply #609 on: 9 Jan 2009, 05:41 pm »
I have the solid plate 5U4G's in Stock at the moment.

Best,

George

AB

« Reply #610 on: 10 Jan 2009, 03:34 am »
Are they all spoken for?

valvesaglowin

• Industry Participant
  • Quality is no accident
    • TubesUSA
« Reply #611 on: 10 Jan 2009, 02:28 pm »
Just two of the EML solid plate 5U4G's left.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #612 on: 10 Jan 2009, 02:45 pm »
The 6SN7 RCA Silver labels present a very strong midrange sweetness, and a tighly controlled bass, but are a bit too rolled off for many of my recordings.  I'm gonna give the tubes another 40 hrs or so, though; if they clean up the top end they will be giant killers.

Any updates Ted?

George

rydenfan

« Reply #613 on: 10 Jan 2009, 03:04 pm »
George, Ted left yesterday morning for CES so it may be a few days till you hear from him. I will hopefully have a set of adapters from Wayne towards the end of next week and will let you know as well. You got any extra 6SN7's kicking around?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #614 on: 10 Jan 2009, 03:08 pm »
George, Ted left yesterday morning for CES so it may be a few days till you hear from him. I will hopefully have a set of adapters from Wayne towards the end of next week and will let you know as well. You got any extra 6SN7's kicking around?

I think I could find a few... aa

George

Audioclyde

« Reply #615 on: 10 Jan 2009, 08:25 pm »
Well, I have now ordered my Modwright Transporter, so I'm eager to join the club  :thumb:!!  Currently I have a Raysonic CD168, with Dario Miniwatt 7308 tubes and its great, but I've messed around with my Ipod (lossless files) feeding an external DAC via the Wadia Itransport, and really like the convenience.  But the Itransport/DAC combo can't come close to the Raysonic, so I'm hoping the MW Transporter fills the gap!

As I use a Cary SLI-80 integrated amp, I'm already way to deep into tuberolling--got like 4 sets of output tubes, 3 different pairs of rectifiers, some RCA and some Ken Rad VT231 driver tubes, and lots to 6922/7308's; plus as I can use them in the Cary, I've been trying some different 6CG7's, so I have some candidates for the MW Transporter.

I've been looking a while for some Raytheon blackplate 6CG7's without success--is anyone has a spare pair they would sell or know of a source that has some, please let me know!!

Randy

rydenfan

« Reply #616 on: 10 Jan 2009, 09:46 pm »
welcome to the club  :thumb: I am sure you will be very pleased.

Philistine

« Reply #617 on: 10 Jan 2009, 10:44 pm »

I've been looking a while for some Raytheon blackplate 6CG7's without success--is anyone has a spare pair they would sell or know of a source that has some, please let me know!!

Welcome Randy, I believe that I've got some NOS RCA 6CG7's - would these help?
Phil

Audioclyde

« Reply #618 on: 10 Jan 2009, 10:55 pm »
Thanks, guys.  Phil, thanks for the offer, but I have 1 pair of RCA cleartops--haven't used them much in the 'pre' spots on my amp, but I'm sure I'll give 'em a try once I have the MW Transporter in the system.

I also should thank all of you 'old hands', as I feel like I've learned an awful lot about the tuberolling options by reading all of your posts.  I have the following rectifiers in house that I can try (my integrated also uses a pair of these):  (1) NOS RCA 5U4GB; (2) NOS black base RCA 5U4; (3) NOS Mazda 5U4; (4) NOS Mazda GZ32; (5) 2 different 60's vintage Raytheon 5U4GB's; (6) NOS CBS blackplate 5U4GB; and (7) NOS Tung Sol black plate 5U4GB (50's vintage i believe)!!  So I will keep myself busy on the rectifier front for a while  :o!!

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #619 on: 17 Jan 2009, 03:08 am »
Damn, this thread is a veritable tome!!  I just joined the Circle here, and was checking out some of the thread's here.  I've gotta say, Dan's Transporter transformed my front end (do I need to write a disclaimer on this Circle?).  I was using a completely maxed out Modwright 999es and I have to say he's bested himself.  I've been really happy with the Transporter, and have told Dan numerous times that it's the best digital front end I've had in my system.  I thought I'd contribute my very minimal tube rolling experiments.  The output stock tubes were easily bettered by a pair of RCA cleartops.  I have not tried anything else yet.  I tried rolling the stock RCA GZ37 for a couple of NOS Mullard GZ34's and really didn't like that direction - it tended to soften everything out to my ears.  I really didn't give either of them much of a chance as my knee-jerk reaction was to run, not walk, back to the GZ37, which felt more detailed and impactfull, for lack of better verbiage.  I haven't gone through all 31 pages of this thread, but given the response, any suggestions?  Power cord's a TG688 - haven't tried anything else.  Not into dropping large coin on PC's, though it certainly can make a difference. 

Thanks for the warm welcome on the CES thread! 

Best,

Marco