ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

twodown

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1140 on: 16 Apr 2009, 11:29 pm »
Hi Twodown, you've done what we all do and commited the cardinal sin of changing 3 variables at the same time with the Hyper-Drive, EML and 6SN7's!  Well the good news is that, IMHO, all 3 individually are significant upgrades, I did them step by step and can give a  :thumb: to each and every one.  The only other tweak I've applied are the Herbie Tube dampers, which appear to tighten everything up a notch.   Enjoy your TP.
Phil

Thanks Phil....I'm very much enjoying the TP at this very moment  8). That's the great thing about this thread as somehow there seems to be some universal "truths" to the mods/tubes discussed here and it provides invaluable information for those that don't have the experience/knowledge, myself included .  Rarely have I rolled a tube recommended here (including my LS 36.5) that I did not feel brought positive attributes and for the most part found a home in my system for some period of time (or find it's way back based on my listening mood)  Thus, I was never concerned about simultaneously incorporating the EML, Hyper-Drive, 6SN7s, but I was surprised at how much my system improved.  At least for the time being, I'm not wondering about any new upgrades/tubes/variations etc. and simply enjoying the music...very sweet  :thumb:

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1141 on: 21 Apr 2009, 10:41 pm »
Just wanted to add my own feedback to the already plentiful EML 5U4G comments here   :o :o :o :o :o :D :D :D My ohhhhh my!  The difference in the bass is so significant that at the same volume I can see I'm going to have to bolt some things down upstairs....things in the room are rattling that were not rattling before at this volume.  I'm still using cleartops, but will soon try some 6SN7's.  The overall presentation is more lively and fuller sounding....vocals are more...well, fleshy...organic.  Very nice overall.  I'm listening at a lower volume, so it seems the EML give an illusion of more gain.  It's brand new so not really burned in yet.  What changes should I expect and over what time period?  So, even as new, yet another trumpet call to the many accolades here...the difference in the bass is quite extraordinary. 

I've nicknamed the monster rectifier, "John Holmes". Any other EML virgins have their innocence taken by the last shipment from George? 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1142 on: 21 Apr 2009, 11:51 pm »
I call my EML tube "Ted".   8)

Glad you're enjoying it.  It's a great find!

Philistine

« Reply #1143 on: 22 Apr 2009, 12:09 am »
Welcome to the EML club Marco.

For the Brits amongst us we find the EML on the small size, relatively speaking  aa

Berto

« Reply #1144 on: 22 Apr 2009, 03:04 am »
Just wanted to add my own feedback to the already plentiful EML 5U4G comments here   :o :o :o :o :o :D :D :D My ohhhhh my!  The difference in the bass is so significant that at the same volume I can see I'm going to have to bolt some things down upstairs....things in the room are rattling that were not rattling before at this volume.  I'm still using cleartops, but will soon try some 6SN7's.  The overall presentation is more lively and fuller sounding....vocals are more...well, fleshy...organic.  Very nice overall.  I'm listening at a lower volume, so it seems the EML give an illusion of more gain.  It's brand new so not really burned in yet.  What changes should I expect and over what time period?  So, even as new, yet another trumpet call to the many accolades here...the difference in the bass is quite extraordinary. 

I've nicknamed the monster rectifier, "John Holmes". Any other EML virgins have their innocence taken by the last shipment from George? 

If your EML is "John Holmes" then your 6SN7s are gonna be the BIGGER BALLS he needs to really rock out!

modwright

« Reply #1145 on: 22 Apr 2009, 04:02 am »
Ok, just for all the Brits out there, then I shall have to design a preamp with Power Transmission TUBES.  I have seen these things sized at 18" or longer and running at voltages high enough to turn the air around them to ozone.  Surely even the brits out there would respect THAT!

For those lacking a sense of humor, no, there will NOT be a ModWright product built using KVolt powered Transmission tubes ;).

Thanks,

Dan

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1146 on: 22 Apr 2009, 05:46 am »
I just got home to discover that the comparative nature of this thread has gotten the best of some of our more prominent members (pun fully intended).  Just as I was reading about ol' "Ted", and British prowess, my dog, Cassius, took a big crunch out of his bully stick
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2009, 06:43 pm by Marco Prozzo »

owenmd

« Reply #1147 on: 22 Apr 2009, 11:13 pm »
Welcome to the EML club Marco.

For the Brits amongst us we find the EML on the small size, relatively speaking  aa

What he said.... us Brits have always been 'legends in our own minds'.... seems to have worked quite well throughout history though...?   :scratch:

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1148 on: 25 Apr 2009, 06:03 pm »
Hey folks - I just got a set of adapters from Jim Cross in Florida (Thanks to Rob for the recommendation!).  He built them in a week and charges about $88/pair shipped with the extenders which are necessary to get them up above the otherwise too small holes in the TP.  I'm currently listening with a pair of NOS KenRad 6SN7's (clear glass). It's certainly the most natural and relaxed presentation I've heard from the TP, even though it is significantly more forward sounding.  Bass is boosted significantly from the 5u4g+cleartop combo, especially so with the 6SN7's in the mix.  My EML and 22uf caps have only about 20 hours on them right now, so all comments should be taken in that context.  My only 'complaint' thus far, if you could call it that, is that I'm hearing what I would describe as a lack of 'crispness' to leading edges.  I can especially hear this with the pluck of a string or the thwack of a drum.  It seems to have lost some of it's definition (and I'm being very critical here).  It errs on the side of extreme naturalness of sound, which lends itself very nicely to vocals.  Pardon the lack of audiophile vernacular. 

I've got to say it again; this is an invaluable resource for MW TP owners.  A huge 'John Holmes' thanks to those who've shared their experiences here.  For those who haven't rolled the tubes in their TP take note - I really was not prepared for the profound difference it can make.

Berto

« Reply #1149 on: 27 Apr 2009, 04:24 am »
Hey folks - I just got a set of adapters from Jim Cross in Florida (Thanks to Rob for the recommendation!).  He built them in a week and charges about $88/pair shipped with the extenders which are necessary to get them up above the otherwise too small holes in the TP.  I'm currently listening with a pair of NOS KenRad 6SN7's (clear glass). It's certainly the most natural and relaxed presentation I've heard from the TP, even though it is significantly more forward sounding.  Bass is boosted significantly from the 5u4g+cleartop combo, especially so with the 6SN7's in the mix.  My EML and 22uf caps have only about 20 hours on them right now, so all comments should be taken in that context.  My only 'complaint' thus far, if you could call it that, is that I'm hearing what I would describe as a lack of 'crispness' to leading edges.  I can especially hear this with the pluck of a string or the thwack of a drum.  It seems to have lost some of it's definition (and I'm being very critical here).  It errs on the side of extreme naturalness of sound, which lends itself very nicely to vocals.  Pardon the lack of audiophile vernacular. 

I've got to say it again; this is an invaluable resource for MW TP owners.  A huge 'John Holmes' thanks to those who've shared their experiences here.  For those who haven't rolled the tubes in their TP take note - I really was not prepared for the profound difference it can make.

Glad you like'em! Mine are working flawless as well. I actually felt I lost that crispness when I removed my EML and just Sold my fat bottle CV378 b/c it was just too round, not as dynamic in comparison. (all tube system mind you)

If you really want punch or crispness and its a great recording, the TS round are the cats meow. I also like the coated Brimars alot more then the RCA's as they are lush but at the same time don/t smear , just a more open sound.

modwright

« Reply #1150 on: 27 Apr 2009, 05:28 pm »
I HAVE the EML tube now and a beautiful set of Octal adaptors from Bolder Cable.  I am breaking in the rectifier on a preamp right now, but will be evaluating the EML and 6SN7's in a Transporter soon!  I will keep you all posted.

Thanks!

Dan
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2009, 12:10 am by modwright »

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1151 on: 28 Apr 2009, 01:32 am »
I HAVE the EML tube now and a beautiful set of Octal adaptors from Bolder Cable.  I am breaking in the rectifier on a preamp right now, but will be evaluating the EML and 6SN7's in a Transporter soon!  I will keep you all posted.

Thanks!

Dan

Look out, Mr. Holmes is in 'da house! Makes sure to keep that bad boy pointing skyward, Dan, and let us know what you think.  You know, once Holmes gives you rectification you ain't never goin' back.  Which 6SN7's are you using to keep him company? They may be tall on those Boulder extenders, but they're still in the shadow of Holmes. 

rydenfan

« Reply #1152 on: 28 Apr 2009, 02:49 am »

Thanks!

Dan

It's about time you got with the program  :lol: I'm sure John has been going crazy to hear the combo  :wink:

funkmonkey

« Reply #1153 on: 28 Apr 2009, 03:14 am »
My EML is still in the cooker (≈50hrs and still breaking in), but I like what I am hearing so far.  Definitely has some similar characteristics to the HW-CV378, but a more crisp, open and "live" top end.  I am still waiting for my Ken-Rads to show up.  :roll:  Seems to be taking longer than the TS rounds I purchased from the same source.  I hope they are okay, and arrive soon.

Wayne1

« Reply #1154 on: 28 Apr 2009, 04:06 pm »
Just an update on the adapters. I now have all parts in stock and I should be able to build them within one week of receiving an order.

I WILL finally be building a pair of adapters with Bybee Purifiers inside. They will be sent to a client, along with a pair of standard adapters, to test out.

His Transporter is on it's way to Dan's right now for the power supply regulator upgrade. I hope to hear about the comparison in about two weeks.

modwright

« Reply #1155 on: 30 Apr 2009, 09:37 pm »
Hi Wayne and thanks for the sample adaptors to evaluate - understood that these do not include the bybees.  I am currently breaking in the EML 5U4G in a SWLP preamp and am waiting for my own transporter to return from AKfest before I can evaluate the EML and 6SN7's.

I WILL say however, that the EML tube is HUGE in both size, beauty AND sonics!  I am playing vinyl now, into an SWLP with external tube supply, fitted with EML tube, driving our KWA 150 and the music is hard hitting and powerful.  Amazing what a difference just a rectifier tube makes, but I have to say IT DOES!

Thanks,

Dan

Philistine

« Reply #1156 on: 30 Apr 2009, 10:15 pm »
Dan, glad you finally got your hands on an EML.
In addition to having great sonic performance I consider it has additional attributes that make it even more MW customer attractive - it's available, reasonably priced, has a guarantee, its performance is consistent (as opposed to different NOS/used rectifiers with different performance characteristics, designs, life spans and variable metallurgy).  Bottom line is that all MW owners can get their hands on a great sounding tube relatively easily.
Phil 

Audioclyde

« Reply #1157 on: 30 Apr 2009, 10:28 pm »
I know my EML Mesh hasn't left the MW Transporter since I got it--no desire to roll any of the other rectifiers back in!!  In contrast, I've pulled out the TS round plates for some Raytheon 6sn7's for the time being--no, the Raytheon's aren't as good as the TS round plates, but just 'saving' the TS's for the time being.

I'm anxiously waiting for Lou to have my ebonized walnut DA-RMa's ready and shipped--then I'll put all the premium tubes back in when I get to listen to the new speakers   aa!!!

Dan, do I recall correctly that you are getting or maybe already have a pair of ebonized walnut Ulysses?

Randy

AB

« Reply #1158 on: 30 Apr 2009, 11:25 pm »
I still plan on trying the EML mesh plates in my two box 36.5.
I haven't bothered up to now as my 36.5 has had some recent reworking done to it and it still needs a few hours of break in. Once it's stable I plan on giving them a try.

Then I'll hopefully need to enlargenize the holes in the PSU.  :duh:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1159 on: 1 May 2009, 12:02 am »
I still plan on trying the EML mesh plates in my two box 36.5.
I haven't bothered up to now as my 36.5 has had some recent reworking done to it and it still needs a few hours of break in. Once it's stable I plan on giving them a try.

Then I'll hopefully need to enlargenize the holes in the PSU.  :duh:

+1 Same here.  I need another EML, but am gonna try it.

"Enlargenize"...hmm, very nice.   :)