$1000 46 inch display help!

Don_S

Re: $1000 46 inch display help!
« Reply #20 on: 14 Dec 2009, 04:07 pm »
Ahh, my ignorance of HD know no bounds!

I continue to waver, but think I will hunt down the Sharp 46, with the 120Hz refresh, and stretch to afford it - may mean that I cannot afford any Blue Ray fun, but that is likely best anyway, as I would not want a new format to go out and buy!

I am sure I can score a used upconverting DVD player...

Mark, You can either stretch your budget or wait a week.  :lol:

I waited until prices in general fell dramatically, then waited for an incredible sale and still see more recent models selling for half of what I paid three years ago. There are always year end, after Christmas, January-new-model-clearance, etc sales.  I bought mine at a President's Day sale but I guess you would not have those in Canada.  Queen's birthday sale maybe?  Good luck.   :thumb:

Mag

« Reply #21 on: 14 Dec 2009, 04:52 pm »
That 50 inch plasma is at my local Best Buy for $999 in Canada.  My wife fears a display so large...

My issue, is that it is "only" 720p - not really an issue I expect though, since my broadcast HD is 720, as are my DVD's no?

As I understand it in order for your HDTV to work in HD mode the signal has to be 1080i. Otherwise it defaults to 480i. The tv will then down convert or convert to progressive.

If you sit further than 12' away I've read that your eyes can't tell the difference between 1080p and 720p.

If your cable provider supplies a HDTV video recorder than you won't need an upscaler. You can record HD movies or shows and watch them in HD, fast forwarding through commercials.
I have an upscaler that I only use occasionally now that I have the HD recorder.

viggen

« Reply #22 on: 15 Dec 2009, 01:50 am »
I got a 46" Sony Bravia Z series for $1800 cdn...

I got the same TV during BFD last year for $1499 from big river.  Other than plasma like black levels, I think this was/is the best TV on the market.

They were blowing out a warehouse model version for $999 as late as 2 weeks ago with Bluray player included on this year's BFD. 

I have actually been a fan of Panasonic tube TVs.  But, it's been hard to move away from WCG-CCFL back lit LCDs since I got a 26" Sony XBR LCD a few years ago to use as PC monitor.

mcgsxr

« Reply #23 on: 15 Dec 2009, 03:54 am »
I followed the deals pretty closely last Christmas, and found that the best prices (for readily available options - ie other than 5 of X on Boxing Day requiring lining up at 4am...) were to be had in the 2 weeks just prior to Christmas.

The deals did not get as good again up here in Canada, until roughly March, as newer units started to come out, and the "older" stuff started to drop to Christmas pricing or mildly less.

I figure this is like buying a PC - you pick your price point, bite off the best deal you can find at the time, and know that in 1-2 years it will be 30-40% cheaper, but that is life - if you wait for what is the newest, you will never own anything!

I am confused though, as reviews of the 60hz and 120hz refresh versions of the 46 seem to indicate that it is barely noticable.  The $300 price difference is certainly noticable!

I also have to wonder if I am over-analyzing - after all, my comparable will be my 7 year old Sony Vega 32, with conventional definition...

viggen

« Reply #24 on: 15 Dec 2009, 04:49 am »
Just don't choose a TV based on whether it has 120hz or not.

Most higher end TVs will have 120hz though. 

You want the higher end TV for its panel and video processing. 

I keep my 120hz off for the most part.  Motion blur isn't becaused 60hz frame speed is too slow, so speeding up the frame speed isn't going to cure anything.

WerTicus

« Reply #25 on: 15 Dec 2009, 04:49 am »
a 120hz tv will be able to display 3d material with shutter glasses that the ps3 and blue ray are just starting to see releases of.

a 60hz wont.

I would be pretty careful not to buy an already obsolete tv, since i only buy a tv every 20 yrs :)

Today that means 1080p and 120+ hz only!

viggen

« Reply #26 on: 15 Dec 2009, 10:11 pm »
120hz TVs are not faster than non 120hz TVs in terms of frame rate capability.

What 120hz TVs do that non 120hz TVs can't is:
1) overdrive the video signal to "jolt" the LCD panel incase it gets stuck
2) interpolate frames

Not sure how either of these contributes to 3D.  Are there other issues involved?

Furthermore, I think you need a 3D panel to see 3D and not just any 120hz panel.  Just that most 3D panels coming out these days also have 120hz... which I think is pure marketing but.. who knows.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #27 on: 16 Dec 2009, 01:42 am »
You sure on that?

musicman06

« Reply #28 on: 16 Dec 2009, 04:19 am »
A few posters (and readers) of this thread may want to Google refresh rates and frame speed based on what's been posted here. Google MEMC while you're at it... or just buy a blacklight model like the guy a few posts up. Or a plasma.

viggen

« Reply #29 on: 16 Dec 2009, 05:47 am »
You sure on that?

Positive.  The keyword there is capability.  As far as I know, before 120hz became prevalent, 120hz and non 120hz models sold by various manufacturers were built using the same panels for example last year's Sony V and W series.

This means, the difference between 120hz TVs and non 120hz TV is not the panel (or its capabilities) but the overdrive and frame interpolation features inherent in the processor.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 16 Dec 2009, 03:30 pm »
Oh Ok. I see what you're saying. Gotcha.  :D

Or, our northern friend could just get a plasma. Then he'd have a 600Hz refresh rate.  aa
Given the seating distance from the unit, I'd say the 46" size you're looking for might be a little on the small size. My Samsung 50" plasma (#PN50B550T2F $1,050) is 11' away and it seems a bit small. Not sure how long you've been staring at the 36" CRT and from what distance though. You may find that 46" from 12-13 feet is more than adequate. That boils down to personal preference.

Despite the fact this will be used mainly for casual TV watching, you'll most likely appreciate the ability to watch a true 1080p movie now and then. Don't discount a Bluray player. Even you said the current rate of movie watching may increase with the (bigger, better, fast, more...) display unit. A DVD player won't do justice to a modern 1080p unit.

Also, as a side note; I gained an extra 3 months on the Samsung warranty period simply be registering it online. That was a nice bonus.

Have you seen any bundles where they include a Bluray with the purchase of a TV? Granted, the player isn't the best, but it's certainly better than a regular DVD.

Also, run conduit through the fireplace for wires. If you think you've got enough, run another one. Someday you'll want more wires up there. Leave plenty of room for future expansion, and don't forget to use large enough conduit to accommodate a fat plug. Check your local codes regarding what type of material the conduit should be made of.
Galvanized fence post should suffice.  :lol:

If you want to "audiophile it to death"*;
Since you're running high voltage next to signal wires, you might want to have two metallic conduits to separate them.

When you get it installed, be sure to post pictures in the HT gallery.  :wink:

Hope that helps.
Bob

* Thanks to Steve for the awesome phrase.  :lol:

mcgsxr

« Reply #31 on: 16 Dec 2009, 04:28 pm »
Many thanks folks.

Increasingly leaning towards Plasma, have not heard much bad about them.

50 is fine with me, but "she who must be obeyed" is balking at a display that large.

Moving from 32 to 50, I can kind of see her point, but I am easier to convince that larger is better overall!

I am also battling one of her friends, who confined her poor husband to 37!   :evil:

I have suggested to her, that we can make templates out of newspaper, and check out difference - likely nil once you look at it - what's 4 inches among friends!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #32 on: 16 Dec 2009, 04:49 pm »
My wife balked at 55 at first.  This is replacing a 36" CRT.  I sold it on environmental concerns (energy efficient LED LCD) and the overall space saving of going to a ultra thin panel.  The CRT was at least 40" deep and weighed a ton.

low.pfile

« Reply #33 on: 16 Dec 2009, 04:50 pm »
I have suggested to her, that we can make templates out of newspaper, and check out difference - likely nil once you look at it - what's 4 inches among friends!

Definitely do the mock-up. Especially if you and SWMBO plan to watch movies on disc, which usually are at 2.35:1 and 1.85:1 ratios. So you loose a lot of screen space. I've watched movies on 32 screens and it really looses it's impact.I have access to a very large printer so I was able to make full size printouts of a few screen sizes with photos cropped to 1.85:1 movies. Mock-it up with an representative image. just splice together random magazine images.

Don_S

« Reply #34 on: 16 Dec 2009, 04:55 pm »
My previous TV was a 27" Mitsubishi CRT. When I went to the 46" Sharp it seemed huge but I soon adapted. What I enjoyed most about the new size was I could see peoples eyes and facial expression.  With the 27" I had no idea what I was missing. There was so much "content" that I was not aware of.  I also had a much greater appreciation for nature shows.  Face it, nature is the ultimate panorama.

I would have purchased a 48-49" if Sharp had made one but their next size model was 52". I needed speakers mounted at the bottom.  That limited brands at the time and I really liked the PQ and style of the Sharp Aquos.

I needed the smaller size Sharp to place on a stand I already had.  Eventually I decided the Sharp would be better mounted on the wall.  Guess what, the darn thing shrunk when I moved it off of the stand and mounted it on the wall.  I only moved it about 6" higher and 14" farther back but the visual affect was dramatic. It looked huge on the stand and diminutive on the wall.  It is hard to visualize but a large flat screen on a stand intrudes into the room whereas a flat screen mounted on the wall becomes part of the room. Maybe your wife is having a hard time grokking that.

I know you have to keep peace in the family but try to convince your wife she will learn to like the new TV and wish you had purchased the larger model. Since you are replacing a 32" CRT I suspect you are like me and won't be purchasing another TV for a decade.  Choose wisely and good luck.

srb

« Reply #35 on: 16 Dec 2009, 04:58 pm »
If you want to "audiophile it to death"*;
* Thanks to Steve for the awesome phrase.  :lol:

Bob, thanks for the reference, but not necessary.  I freely grant my coined phrase to Public Domain.

I'll add my 2 cents worth of comments:

Size: I bought a 50" Panasonic plasma about a year and a half ago.  Within a month I wished I had gotten a larger one.  My friend recently bought a 54" Panasonic plasma, and now a month later wishes he had gotten a larger one.  Everyone I know who has bought a flat screen wishes they had gotten a larger one.

Heat:  My 18 month old plasma is a heat pump.  Just walking closely in front of it you can feel it radiating off of the screen.  Nice for the winter, but.... .  The newest models have 30% - 40% less power consumption (and heat).  If you go for a plasma, don't get an older closeout model.

Steve

Don_S

« Reply #36 on: 16 Dec 2009, 05:15 pm »
Mark,

If all else fails tell your wife you have done additional research and changed your mind.  You want a 60".  Then compromise on a 48-50" and tell her you love her.  :kiss:

Disclaimer:  I am not married.  Use the above advice at your own peril.  :shake:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 16 Dec 2009, 05:17 pm »
Good point about the paper mock-up. I got to thinking about it, and was coming back to the site to post a suggestion about building a cardboard "tv" to show the wife but you folks beat me to it.
I had the same issues with my situation. My wife hated the idea of a TV larger than 42". But to make a long story short, we ended up with a 50. She's now happy and glad we got what we did. Of course I'm the one that wants bigger, but it's for her "woman cave" not mine, so it's her opinion that counts.  :lol:

Good point about the heat Steve. Mine just barely feels warm after being on for hours.... and that's with it sitting in an enclosure. I was braced for having to cut holes for cooling fans and vents, but I think I'll skip that idea totally.

Bob

viggen

« Reply #38 on: 16 Dec 2009, 06:29 pm »
Reminds me when my gf and I were looking for an engagement ring.  We were at this store, and the sales girl says the size of the ring shrinks with time.  I was like, wth you talk'in about?  She said it's a woman thing....

I guess it's a guy thing that the TV size gets smaller with time.

And, just to rub it in... my wife then fiance bought me my 46" last year.  I was perfectly fine with the Panny 27" CRT.  I hardly watch TV.  We do lots of Wii though.  Too bad Wii is only 480p.  PQ from video via the PS3 is very good. 

WerTicus

« Reply #39 on: 17 Dec 2009, 03:11 pm »
Blue ray 3d spec finalized!  Good timing for this thread :P

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/17/blu-ray-3d-specifications-finalized-your-ps3-is-ready/

trying to understand what is required on the TV side of things to get 3d to work.

Looks like the safe bet is a 3d ready tv but i believe the limiting factor to be the TV requiring a HDMI spec 1.4 so the tv accepts a high enough input signal to work with it twin 60hz frames.

A lot of people out there with 120hz tv's but only 60hz input on the out of date hdmi 1.3 input will be shit out of luck.   :cry: