Immersive Audio Is Just Better!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Two Channels Sucks Compared to Immersive Audio
« Reply #240 on: 15 Mar 2019, 11:35 pm »
Although the title is a little forward in your face, I don't see anything wrong with this thread....its like me saying paradigm sucks compared to DML panels when it comes to imaging, its just ones opinion. LOL
Agreed. But folks keep jumping in since they're "triggered" and/or offended, which in this day and age is the new way to get society to change its view to match yours.
So yea, the title is is like modern day "click bait". It sucks, It's aggressive, so shame on the Witchdoctor for that.

But there can be several vollies of folks having a good conversation, then somebody jumps back in all triggered and offended and feels a subject line they don't like should be binned because they lack the maturity to "scroll on", therefore the world needs to succumb to their wishes. So, shame on them.
Such is life now days. I truly feel sorry for the folks that lack the ability to simply smile and nod.

In the good ol days here, a mod use to be able to delete individual posts, but we now lack that ability. Would certainly be nice in this thread, as I could probably cut the page count in half.

Bob - Moderator.

witchdoctor

« Reply #241 on: 16 Mar 2019, 01:18 am »
Hard to fix this topic Bob, as a Stereo fan I see that he has reduced the credibility of multi-channels systems to ashes with these controversial posts.

Uhhhh, I never posted about "multichannel" :scratch:
This thread is about "immersive audio", please watch this video about the "immersive mix" done at Abbey Road for Pink Floyd that will explain the difference. (warning, don't get triggered if they have the same opinion as the witchdoctor. The speaker setup they use in the studio is the same as the one I use in my media room only I just use 1 sub). At about the 1:00 minute mark in the video the engineer states "After you take the next step into full immersion coming back again is going to be virtually impossible".
He's right, you know why? Because it sucks in comparison. You got the witchdoctor, then Widescreen review critic Doug Blackburn stating he can't even listen to stereo after using auromatic upmoxing and now Pink Floyd's engineer, Simon Rhodes, at Abbey Road saying he can NEVER go back again after being IMMERSED :thumb:.
Is it possible we are ALL wrong and the guy who apparently hasn't even compared it for himself in his own space is right? Not :nono::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMlFN8V4qW4

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #242 on: 16 Mar 2019, 01:27 am »
Are there any follow-ups to that video?
I did a little digging, and didn't find much, audibly speaking.

witchdoctor

« Reply #243 on: 16 Mar 2019, 01:42 am »
Are there any follow-ups to that video?
I did a little digging, and didn't find much, audibly speaking.

I recommend getting the Atmos Blue Ray version of Roger Water's The Wall, I think those same guys at Abbey Road in the video did the mix:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Roger-Waters-The-Wall-Blu-ray/12873/

OzarkTom

« Reply #244 on: 16 Mar 2019, 01:48 am »
Whatever happened to QSound? At times the sound seemed wrap around and it was 2 channel only.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #245 on: 16 Mar 2019, 01:52 am »
I recommend getting the Atmos Blue Ray version of Roger Water's The Wall, I think those same guys at Abbey Road in the video did the mix:

Interesting, thank you. That's definitely on my short list.  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #246 on: 16 Mar 2019, 02:45 am »
Whatever happened to QSound? At times the sound seemed wrap around and it was 2 channel only.

https://obsoletemedia.org/qsound-compact-disc/

http://www.qsound.com/spotlight/users/recording-artists.htm

I also have an old Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram generator on the output of an old Oppo DV980h in a spare system that once a year or two I may have some fun with.  I also have a hard drive attached to an Oppo 203 in that same system with about 50 extracted multi-channel DSD files (I think I have to convert them to 24/88.2 with the current receiver) that I revisit once every year or two for fun.

WGH

« Reply #247 on: 16 Mar 2019, 04:03 pm »

David Gilmour's "Live at Pompeii" Blu-ray, although not yet available in Dolby Atmos with 4K video, is excellent as well. The sound is killer! The one night theater showing was in Dolby Atmos so the mix does exist.
Live at Pompeii concert: 96/24 PCM Stereo & 96/24 DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO

The DTS-HD Master Audio (6917 kbps, 96 kHz/24 bit) is demo quality, the surround sound clarity is beyond amazing, this disk need to be played back on your best 5.1 system. Note: the PCM Audio layer, while good, is not in the same league as the DTS-HD layer which is much clearer with excellent 5.1 steering. David Gilmour is at his peak, his playing is better than ever, the band is excellent as well, free flowing and super tight at the same time, these guys have been practicing. The backup singers nail it every time, listening to The Great Gig In The Sky will give you goose bumps.

The visuals are excellent as well, great camera work and editing. I never watch music videos because they bore me but this disk held my interest for it's entire 2-1/2 hours.

Wayne

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #248 on: 16 Mar 2019, 10:53 pm »
Witchdoctor, I'm asking you Sir, would you please be so kind as to rephrase the title in your first post to something less controversial?
If nothing else, it might just help you gain friends instead of enemies.
I am, after all trying to help you keep your thread alive. Please, and thank you.

Bob - Moderator.

witchdoctor

« Reply #249 on: 17 Mar 2019, 05:16 am »
Witchdoctor, I'm asking you Sir, would you please be so kind as to rephrase the title in your first post to something less controversial?
If nothing else, it might just help you gain friends instead of enemies.
I am, after all trying to help you keep your thread alive. Please, and thank you.

Bob - Moderator.

With pleasure Bob, NP. Let me know if I should make any additional changes to the new one  :D

witchdoctor

Re: Immersive Audio Is Just Better!
« Reply #250 on: 17 Mar 2019, 05:44 am »
Yes, immersive audio is just better. Don't believe me? TRY it (in your own space) and let me know. All of the engineers here prefer the IMMERSIVE mix over the stereo mix, you know why? Because it's just better :thumb:

Giles Martin engineered the IMMERSIVE mix of Abbey Road:
“This is one of the most important albums of all time,” said the younger Martin of the record. “Each track has its own character and imagery, building song by song across the record as a whole. The Dolby Atmos mix is truly immersive, placing the audience inside the recordings like never before.”

https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/sgt-peppers-dolby-atmos/

Scott Litt and Clif Norrell/ R.E.M.
Mixing for Atmos, explains Norrell, is an entirely new world compared to traditional surround due to its overhead channels. “Instead of a 360 degree/2D experience, it is a 360, 3D experience,” he comments of Atmos. “There’s a sense of depth and space that Atmos allows that hasn’t really been possible before. It opens up a lot of possibilities for me as a mixer, in terms of letting the listener to really feel inside of it.

https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/recording/litt-norrell-remix-rem-for-atmos

Dennis Waakop Reijers-Fraaij, the producer—with Tiësto—of Elements of Life, commented, “Finally, I could hear all the subtle details in terms of space and depth within the Auro-3D mix, which I couldn’t get from the stereo mix. Auro-3D and dance music make a fantastic combination as they are both all about the experience. Auro-3D is finally the largest step towards truly three-dimensional audio, as this is the way we experience sound in the real world. Suffice to say, I’m very much looking forward to further cooperation in the near future.”

https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/business/tisto-remixed-for-auro-3d

witchdoctor

« Reply #251 on: 17 Mar 2019, 05:54 am »
Do you get it? Read the last quote that states that Auro 3D IMMERSIVE audio is like the way we experience sound in the REAL world. :thumb:

Stereo is the way you experience sound in the NOT real world. :nono:

Doublej

« Reply #252 on: 17 Mar 2019, 11:51 am »
There a plenty of formats that people claim is better than stereo but none have had staying power in the market.

Regarding your opinion, I'll take it more seriously when the links you provide are something I can relate to. Studio mastered Electronic/Dance and rock/pop albums are of of no listening interest to me.

Provide me with references to how immersive sound improves the listening experience for recording live concerts and my brain will perk up. Then show me an elegant, practical installation of an immersive system in a residential environment and you will have my attention.

Until then this a BIG YAWN.

witchdoctor

« Reply #253 on: 17 Mar 2019, 01:48 pm »
There a plenty of formats that people claim is better than stereo but none have had staying power in the market.

Regarding your opinion, I'll take it more seriously when the links you provide are something I can relate to. Studio mastered Electronic/Dance and rock/pop albums are of of no listening interest to me.

Provide me with references to how immersive sound improves the listening experience for recording live concerts and my brain will perk up. Then show me an elegant, practical installation of an immersive system in a residential environment and you will have my attention.

Until then this a BIG YAWN.

You want me to convince YOU??? Impossible to do that through the internet. If you are curious and want to do your own research go on and checkout Galaxy Studios, Sennheiser Ambeo, Barco Cinema's, Dolby Atmos, Auro 3-D, and DTS-X. I'll be happy to get you started.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to stay a flat earther:

https://www.auro-3d.com/blog/interview-morten-lindberg-on-auro-3d-recorded-music-is-no-longer-a-flat-canvas-but-a-sculpture-you-can-literally-move-around/

Doublej

« Reply #254 on: 17 Mar 2019, 01:55 pm »
Now I am convinced.

witchdoctor

« Reply #255 on: 17 Mar 2019, 02:00 pm »
OK, here is a video of Mike Thornton at Galaxy Studio making an immersive mix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQi_bnO0tas

"I was IN the concert hall, absolutely spectacular!"- Mike Thornton after listening to Auro 3D at the studio for the first time.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #256 on: 17 Mar 2019, 02:57 pm »
Thank you for the change to the title.

witchdoctor

« Reply #257 on: 17 Mar 2019, 03:00 pm »
Thank you for the change to the title.

Sure, I appreciate you giving me a heads up. :D

witchdoctor

« Reply #258 on: 17 Mar 2019, 03:14 pm »
I have two channel systems in my office and my dining room, all good for background listening and wanting to dig deeper into a 2 channel experience that the engineer created in the studio. But if you read my first post I never say throw the baby out with the bath water. It is just to STOP for a moment when you reach for your wallet and consider IMMERSIVE audio.

IMO 10 of these (or any smaller direct radiating speaker) in an auro 3D setup:

https://www.svsound.com/pages/prime-elevation

vs two of these for the same amount of $$$, I use SVS in this example but pick your vendor, the same principle applies:

https://www.svsound.com/collections/ultra-series/products/ultra-tower

Pick your speaker vendor and budget, in a head to head shootout it is no contest. BTW, do I still listen to 2 channel in my immersive setup? I can if it suits me, just hit a button on the remote. You can have BOTH for the price of one. That is why it is just BETTER!

The witchdoctor agrees.
The critics agree.
The engineers agree.
The musicians agree.

EVERYONE agrees except the flat earthers who have never experienced and remain triggered at the thought that they dumped $$$$ into last years (decades?) tech. It is like you bought the BEST computer in 1986 and didn't want to upgrade because you would have to learn new software and didn't want to spend any money ever again.

Don't look to your vendors, why would they want to disgruntle loyal two channel customers? Look at Marantz, did they stop making two channel gear? Look at Bryston, did they abandon two channel? NOT. Did they see the future and get on board? That SP4 must be winning awards for some reason (James get the height channels already if you are reading this)

witchdoctor

« Reply #259 on: 17 Mar 2019, 04:03 pm »
Here is a review of the SVS Prime Elevation speaker I link to in the above post. If you are shopping for 2 channels, for 5 channels. for 7 channels, or for 10 channels they will work. Throw in an SVS sub or two and you are golden. For those of you worried about WAF this is a LOT less in your face than a pair of towers:

https://www.techhive.com/article/3137409/svs-prime-elevation-speaker-review-an-incredibly-versatile-audio-solution-for-the-home-theater.html