$300 AVR Recommendation With a Twist

Doublej

$300 AVR Recommendation With a Twist
« on: 5 Dec 2012, 12:33 pm »
I am looking for a $300 dollar AVR recommendation. Here's the question. Does the implementation of streaming audio, specifically Vtuner, sound materially different between the brands?

In other words should I just pick a unit based on the sonic signature/reputation of the brand?

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: $300 AVR Recommendation With a Twist
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2012, 02:49 pm »
I got a Denon AVR1612 for my son just the other day (from a local STL dealer). We have yet to hook it up though (it's a Christmas present).
Looks to be a feature packed unit for the price.
Not sure what Vtuner is though, that's a new one on me.   :scratch:

Bob

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2012, 02:53 pm »
Vtuner is an internet radio tuner

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2012, 02:56 pm »
The features/specs (e.g. DLNA) should specify what standards they are compliant with.  I'd think at that price point, in general, there may not be tons of difference.  You may wish to look at accessories4less.com and an authorized refurb. with extended warranty and see if you can get a but more bang for the buck.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2012, 03:18 pm »
I don't recall seeing that ability on the units I was shopping for.
Can you get that on a three hundred dollar machine?

WC

« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2012, 03:28 pm »
The 1612 was last years model. The replacement model 1613 has networking (vTuner capability). They are both listed for $349 on Amazon.

Doublej

« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2012, 03:29 pm »
I don't recall seeing that ability on the units I was shopping for.
Can you get that on a three hundred dollar machine?

One can definitely get it on this year's $300 street price models, (Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, HK) if you buy on sale or get a refurbished. I have to check my Visa card T&Cs to see if the doubling of the manufacturer's warranty applies to refurbished items. Last year's models only with Onkyo.

geowak

« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2012, 05:34 pm »
I have had Yamaha , Marantz, Denon and Onkyo. Abandoned the AV idea and now just own 2 channel audio . I liked the Yamaha and Marantz units. If i were to do it over, I would audition the best high sensitvity speakers first, ones easy to drive. After that it becomes easier to find a HT receiver that has plenty of features but not high current or power. That helps to find an affordable unit.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 5 Dec 2012, 06:01 pm »
The 1612 was last years model. The replacement model 1613 has networking (vTuner capability). They are both listed for $349 on Amazon.
Oh, gotcha. That explains it.
I got a real good deal on it since it was last years model. My son didn't need that tech, so I wasn't looking for it.

Bob