iTunes and Cover Art for .aiff Files

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: iTunes and Cover Art for .aiff Files
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jul 2019, 06:13 pm »
Yes, indeed. I have more than 1,500 LPs, but I simply cannot justify the expense buying a phono pre-amp, turntable and cartridge due to my utter satisfaction with my Bryston digital gear.

+1
I only have 200 LPs. Digital's King at my castle.
Gotta admit, though, the "cover art" on LPs is superior to the CD boxes and downloads' art. But that ain't enough to get me hooked on vinyl.

gbaby

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jul 2019, 07:40 pm »
+1
I only have 200 LPs. Digital's King at my castle.
Gotta admit, though, the "cover art" on LPs is superior to the CD boxes and downloads' art. But that ain't enough to get me hooked on vinyl.

The cover art is most definitely superior on albums. I remember buying albums and reading the liner notes while listening to them. But, since I am able to finally see small cover art on my BDP3, courtesy of dbpoweramp, I'm satisfied as the BDP3 cover art looks great. I really like manic moose. Those who went with Roon  just for the cover art are not getting the best fidelity from the BDP3.

gbaby

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jul 2019, 07:43 pm »
My master library is mostly FLAC with the highest compression along with some ALAC. It has all the metadata, cover art, and the smallest size. The FLAC always shows up correctly on every system.

Not true as the few CDs that did not give cover art in .aiff, I tried to encode them in flac too, but no cover art on that codec either.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #23 on: 17 Jul 2019, 07:45 pm »
Those who went with Roon  just for the cover art are not getting the best fidelity from the BDP3.

:o Good to know.

Sometimes, Ignorance is Bliss (Orwell).
 :popcorn:

gbaby

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jul 2019, 07:57 pm »

This is what I have read from reviews of both the BDP2 and 3 and these reviews were done by reputable reviewers although I can't tell you their names. I can only say the publications, "Stereophile, and the Absolute Sound." This is why I prefer to buy CDs and import. I am buying more than ever, especially those five pack jazz and classic rock CDs.

gbaby

« Reply #25 on: 17 Jul 2019, 07:58 pm »
Delete

gbaby

« Reply #26 on: 17 Jul 2019, 08:04 pm »

I thought this was Shakespeare.  :o

zoom25

« Reply #27 on: 17 Jul 2019, 08:12 pm »
Not true as the few CDs that did not give cover art in .aiff, I tried to encode them in flac too, but no cover art on that codec either.

That seems to be a problem with the INITIAL encode. I'm talking about further transcodes to any format. If you're able to get cover art on the original encode, then any subsequent conversion maintains cover art (provided you have it setup correctly). As a backup, I always keep a single "Cover.jpg" inside the album folder along with the track. This way if for some reason there is a problem with embedded image, the separate jpg usually does the trick.

gbaby

« Reply #28 on: 17 Jul 2019, 08:28 pm »
That seems to be a problem with the INITIAL encode. I'm talking about further transcodes to any format. If you're able to get cover art on the original encode, then any subsequent conversion maintains cover art (provided you have it setup correctly). As a backup, I always keep a single "Cover.jpg" inside the album folder along with the track. This way if for some reason there is a problem with embedded image, the separate jpg usually does the trick.

I cannot remember if you have dbpoweramp, but do you or anyone else know how I can take a picture of a CD and upload it to dbpoweramp?

srb

« Reply #29 on: 17 Jul 2019, 08:35 pm »
I thought this was Shakespeare.

From the Thomas Gray poem Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College  (1742)

"No more; where ignorance is bliss,
  'Tis folly to be wise."

gbaby

« Reply #30 on: 17 Jul 2019, 09:08 pm »

'Tis folly to be wise."

When I was a kid, a secretary used this phrase all the time and attributed it to Williams Shakespeare, and I have stupidly attributed it to him. All it shows is that I didn't read Shakespeare.  :oops: Thanks for the correction.  8)

gbaby

« Reply #31 on: 17 Jul 2019, 09:18 pm »

'Tis folly to be wise."
I just read the poem, but did not understand it. Is this old English? In any event, I always thought the sentence you posted meant that when people are happily ignorant, then its no use to tell them truth or wisdom because they are already happy with their lack of knowledge. I guess I was wrong.  :o

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #32 on: 17 Jul 2019, 10:57 pm »
I just read the poem, but did not understand it. Is this old English? In any event, I always thought the sentence you posted meant that when people are happily ignorant, then its no use to tell them truth or wisdom because they are already happy with their lack of knowledge. I guess I was wrong.  :o

Orwell used it in 1984. It was a central mantra of the Party. The idea being that, not knowing something leaves you unharmed by the facts, and thus, blissful. Really true, in many cases -- just look at the current administration south of the border....

gbaby

« Reply #33 on: 18 Jul 2019, 09:02 pm »
Orwell used it in 1984. It was a central mantra of the Party. The idea being that, not knowing something leaves you unharmed by the facts, and thus, blissful. Really true, in many cases -- just look at the current administration south of the border....

I guess you are referring to the administration in the USA. If so, I believe those in power and the people that support them are aware of everything they are doing. The way they live with themselves is to ignore history, and embrace religion in a hypocritical fashion. However, as long as they are profiting, they don't care who they hurt in the name of the lord. I think its called cognitive dissonance.  :cry: Personally, I believe ALL religions are fake and this administration has proven it to me.  :(

zoom25

« Reply #34 on: 19 Jul 2019, 12:04 am »
I cannot remember if you have dbpoweramp, but do you or anyone else know how I can take a picture of a CD and upload it to dbpoweramp?

Hi, I currently use XLD on Mac. Haven't ripped CDs in a long time so I cannot recall. Are you on Windows or Mac? You can search around on how to do that as I came across a few links from over the years but don't know how much they'll relate to the current version of dbpoweramp you're using. I did run into others also suggesting keeping a "Cover.jpg" in the folder.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #35 on: 19 Jul 2019, 01:14 am »
I guess you are referring to the administration in the USA. ....I think its called cognitive dissonance.  :cry: :(

I call it something else, that's unprintable here.

gbaby

« Reply #36 on: 19 Jul 2019, 01:39 pm »
I call it something else, that's unprintable here.

You are alright with me. :lol: But, fascism is printable.  :D

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #37 on: 19 Jul 2019, 07:46 pm »
You are alright with me. :lol: But, fascism is printable:D

Sieg, Flac!   :smoke:

gbaby

« Reply #38 on: 21 Jul 2019, 12:52 am »