Is there a consensus on amps for the Omegas? (I know - a tough question!)

akis

I should be getting my Omega Super 8's (Thanks, Louis!) within the next couple of weeks (No Pressure, Louis!).  I will start them out on my Accuphase P-3000 amp and see how it goes.  But I suspect that at some point I will want to go with another amp.  In perusing this forum I see that a lot of Omega owners really like the Red Wind Audio amps.  I was wondering if anyone who has been on this forum for a lot longer than I have has gotten a sense of whether or not there is a consensus on which amp, based on forum posts, is most preferred by Omega owners?  If so, which amp would that be?  Also, do any of you drive your Omegas with an Accuphase P-3000 or a comparable solid state class A/B amp, and if so, what can you tell me about the combination, both good and otherwise?

I know this is a very subjective topic, but what part of our hobby is not?!  Many thanks in advance for all replies.

4Musica

Hi,
Congratulations and excellent choice. You may experiment about 200 hours of burning in with the P-3000, change placement, toe in, distance from the walls. Then you may take on loan amps for comparing. Look at the cheap and cheerful ac topic, you can get decent T, ss, or tube amps. Omega is a great partnair and will never lack synergy. I like some more power on for my S6xrs, and the basic thing is that I won't pay 2.5-3.0 euros for a simple EL-84 circuit, even if the chassis was made of gold. The amp means to offer the same _value_ features, similar to our s Omega's.
If Dayens amps reach around take a listen.
If you can afford RWA buy them, although I should be mate with lower pricing.
AC will help you out. Excellent people and posts here ! Thanks.
Get your room ready and Happy Listening !

Louis,
ΚΑΛΟ ΠΑΣΧΑ !

4Musica

Thanks for all of the amp suggestions so far!

I have had my new pair of Omega Super 8 Alnico XRS for about 3 weeks now and they are starting to break in pretty good.  But I believe it will end up as I expected, namely that I will want to go with a tube amp.  Like many of us, I love trying new gear (expecially when it works out great, which we all know is not always the case).

While surfing last night I came across an amp that looked interesting and the reviews I read were quite favorable.  Was wondering if any of you have had any experience with the Margules Audio U280sc (Stereo) Tube Amplifier and were willing to share your thoughts?  I would especially love to hear from any of you who have used this amp with Omega speakers or other single driver speakers with similar characteristics to the Omegas.

4Musica

Hello all.  Please allow me to jump back in to this thread with an update.  I have been enjoying my SUPER Super 8's for nearly 4 weeks now, albeit with less than optimal amplification.  Until last night, that is.  I am auditioning a Bedini 25/25 amp.  For those of you who do not know this amp, it has a bit of a cult following.  It is excellent with single driver speakers and has been one of the more popular SS amps to drive the Quad 57's & 63's.  It is 25 watts a side (hence the name) and pure class A.  It is without a doubt the most tube-like SS amp I have ever heard, and so far, a phenomenal match to the Super 8's.  It is also the hottest little amp I have ever encountered.  One could easily fry an egg on the top of it.

Are any of you using a Bedini amp with your Omega's?  If so, which Bedini and which Omega's?  What are your thoughts/experiences with regard to the combination?

Mariusz

Glad you found what works best in your Omega setup.
Never heard that amp before but will certainly check it out.
 :thumb:

4Musica

I wanted to follow up on my previous post re my "new" Bedini 25/25.  Yes, I bought that incredible amp and could not be more pleased.  But I wanted to share some information with those of you who might consider a Bedini for your Omega's or other (gasp!) single driver speakers.  Between the time of my previous post and this one, I learned more about Bedini.  With regard to the 25/25, the older version is the one that is supposedly better overall in terms of musicality and reliability.  I believe that one way to distinguish the older from the newer version is based on the front handles - they are rounded at the top and bottom on older models.  Also, the newer ones are marked for compatibility with a wider resistance load, i.e., 2 to 16 ohms.

Happy Listening!

Eadron

Dunno whether there's consensus or not, but this amp works extremely good with 8"XRS. Italian Tektron EL34 PSE fitted with NOS and nothing but NOS  :thumb:..

4Musica

I would like to update this topic first by sharing my impressions of my Omega Alnico 8 XRS speakers, now that I have had them for a few months.  In a word - WOW!  They have exceeded my expectations in every way and for every type of music I listen to except for large scale (e.g., orchestral), and I suspected the latter would be the case.  The amplifier I have been using with great results is the Bedini 25/25.

I am enjoying these speakers so much that I feel I am ready to further explore their potential, beginning with tube amplification.  I just spoke this evening with Frank Diaz of Earhead Audio and he made me aware of Decware.  I have perused their extensive web site and I find myself very interested in their amplifiers as an alternative to the Bedini 25/25.  Are any of you using Decware amplification with your Omegas?  If so, would you mind sharing your impressions, along with specifics as to your Omegas, the specific Decware amp or integrated, and whether or not you are using an active linestage preamplifier?  The latter is also important to me as I would very much like to continue to use my Quicksilver linestage preamp that mates so well with the Bedini.

As always, thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions shared!

Steven

Hank Murrow

Well I posted my early experiences (in Post #10 on March 26) with the equipment that Paul Birkeland of Bottlehead Customs made for me; and thought it was time for review since they are fully burned in and playing glorious music through Omega Super 5's. The linestage and phono stage are at the same site; and here is a link to the amp:

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,622.0.html

Now I have several hundred hours listening to my music collection, including 1200 mint condition vinyl discs(no, have not heard them all yet!); I hear wide deep soundstage, black silence between notes, and great detail and space, even in very quiet passages. I never would have believed that 3.5 watts per channel could yield glorious music in a 15x19 room without compression or shout..... only the news that Louis is ordering up those Alnico 5's would suggest improvement for this system. I am grateful to both Louis and Paul for the excellent work they did for me. I hope each of you find the same enjoyment from your Omega-marriages.

tabrink

• lake life is good
Omega and Virtue~!

Louis O

Hi tabrink,

Sounds great together and I have the basic model.
Amazing bass out of these and the speed is hard to beat.
Actually it sounds very good with the hoyt speakers too.

Hi Hank Murrow,

Thanks for the link to the pics and your amp looks amazing. One of the nicest I've seen. I know the bottlehead 2A3 and it's one of the best deals out there and sounds better than a lot more expensive amps. I'd like to build another set for myself.

Hi Eadron,

A few years ago I actually did a show with the tektron amps. This one was a versatile amp that used either 2A3, 300B, or 45's. We had great sound.

Hi 4Musica,

Many thanks for your post and great to hear the 8 XRS's are sounding wonderful with the Bedini. These amps are also amazing with the old Quads. Hard to get too.

I talked to Frank and he's going crazy over the Decware. The model that is 24 watts per channel. Please let me know how it sounds when you get it running.

Thanks again,
Louis

tabrink

• lake life is good
Louis
I have a pair of Virtue Ice-blocks coming and can not wait to experience the synergy between your Super Alnico 8's and Seth's killer amps.
Omega and Virtue are the best of the best!
Best,
Tom

ZLS

Louis
I have a pair of Virtue Ice-blocks coming and can not wait to experience the synergy between your Super Alnico 8's and Seth's killer amps.
Omega and Virtue are the best of the best!
Best,
Tom

I have a set of the Ice-blocks running with a pair of the Omega Sticks;
Boy, are you in for a treat!

Louis O

Hi ZLS,

Big power works great with them.

The Rega Maia 3 was an eye opener.

Thanks,
Louis