SP-2 Upgrade Options and Availability?

nicolasb

« Reply #60 on: 7 Nov 2005, 03:54 pm »
Quote from: number6.mi
Why was it decided not to reclock? Meridian, Anthem, and other competitors all highlight that their products reclock to reduce jitter and Bryston has chosen to re-clock in some of its other products.

Quote from: James Tanner
With re-clocking in the SP1.7 there is a DSP horsepower issue. We simply cannot implement a reclocking or upsampling algorithm in the current DSP. We don't have a reclocking hardware circuit, because of cost/complexity issues, and they tend to interfere with the decoding of DTS, Dolby Digital etc...

On the SP2, however, we have the capability to implement upsampling which we may do in the future. Make sure you understand the difference between upsampling and reclocking. The Anthem unit that you mention, for example, performs upsampling - NOT reclocking. Upsampling is a relatively easy algorithm to implement if you have the MIPS and helps with aliasing distortion, but does very little to improve jitter (due to the synchronous nature of the operation).

We were, of course, talking about asynchronous upsampling. From Bryston Newsletter Volume 8 Number 1, talking about the BP25DA, written by James Tanner, emphasis added by myself:

Up-sampling usually refers to a mathematical process in which the new sample rate is not a multiple of the old sample rate, and the numbers have to be calculated in real-time.

This is what is happening when a sample rate converter chip is in an up-convert mode. So in the BP25 DA, if a 44.1 kHz signal is present: we up-sample to 96kHz (with the Sample Rate Converter) and then the DAC will internally 8x over-sample that signal.

[...]

The up-sampling method, when implemented correctly, also has the side effect of jitter reduction, since the output clock is usually asynchronous from the input clock.

So... does all this mean that we definitely will not ever be able to resample 44.1kHz to 96 kHz on the SP2, and thus benefit from the jitter reduction which is so beneficial to the sound quality of the BP25DA?

And I'm going to keep on asking about this, too :) - are there any plans for Dolby Headphone output on the SP2?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #61 on: 7 Nov 2005, 04:00 pm »
Hi,

I would not say Never to reclocking- but certainly not in the near future.

Dolby headphone is also do-able with the new circuit board but again will be dealt with further down the line.

james

Levi

« Reply #62 on: 7 Nov 2005, 06:42 pm »
Hi James,

Are you using MDS Digital Audio Engine Boards for the SP2.0?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #63 on: 7 Nov 2005, 06:48 pm »
Yes

james

Levi

« Reply #64 on: 7 Nov 2005, 06:54 pm »
Yes

james

Cool!  Thanks James.

thomaspf

« Reply #65 on: 8 Nov 2005, 06:05 am »
Actually the aysnchronous sample rate conversion that is going on in the Bryston 2 channel DACs is not necessarily the best way to go about this, since it translates jitter into broadband noise.

A synchronous dejitter circuit like the one found in the Lavry DACs can work as well and does not introduce any artefacts ( however small they might be)

You need a pullable voltage controlled crystal oscillator and a small fifo. I don't know whether the delay this introduces is already to much of a problem for lip sync though.

Cheers

Thomas

nicolasb

« Reply #66 on: 8 Nov 2005, 01:37 pm »
Quote from: thomaspf
Actually the aysnchronous sample rate conversion that is going on in the Bryston 2 channel DACs is not necessarily the best way to go about this, since it translates jitter into broadband noise.

True - but I would argue that it's still a considerable improvement on not having any form of jitter reduction at all; also (if I understand James T correctly!) it could be achieved on the SP2 entirely in software. Properly buffering and reclocking the signal would (I assume) require an additional hardware upgrade, which would be more complicated and more expensive.

mv038856

« Reply #67 on: 15 Nov 2005, 12:05 am »
Hi James!

Quote from: Oct 22, 2005 James Tanner
Should have pictures in a week or so.
The upgrades from the SP1 or SP1.7 to the SP2 will retain the SP1.7 cosmetics.
Only new SP2's will have the C-Series look.

Did you get the chance to lay your hands on the secret SP-2 pictures...?  :wink:

Thanks

Markus
aka mv038856

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #68 on: 15 Nov 2005, 12:21 am »
It goes out for photos next week.

james

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
« Reply #69 on: 30 Nov 2005, 04:42 am »
PHOTOS?

Dum Te Dum ;)

E

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #70 on: 30 Nov 2005, 12:53 pm »
Camera broke.

james

Levi

« Reply #71 on: 30 Nov 2005, 02:05 pm »
Camera broke.

james

Send the SP2 to me and I will take pictures. :wink:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #72 on: 30 Nov 2005, 02:58 pm »
Hi Levi,

I just may do that.

The SP2 went out for photos but the photographer says it will be another week or so.

I will take a picture of the one I have at home and post it. (remind me how to do that again).

It really does not look that much different from a distance. The faceplate is 1/2 inch higher because of (C-Series) and all the toggles have been replaced with buttons (like the ones on the B100).

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #73 on: 30 Nov 2005, 05:27 pm »
OK - I posted the SP2 in the Gallery - how do I get the link here?

james

Marbles

« Reply #74 on: 30 Nov 2005, 05:40 pm »
You click on the picture in your gallery.  At the bottom of it is a URL.

Copy that URL.

Come back here and hit the "img" tab.  Then paste the picture URL.   Then hit the "Close Tags" button and you are done.

If you have any questions, just hit the "quote" button on my post and it will show you the key strokes needed to post a picture.

Levi

« Reply #75 on: 30 Nov 2005, 06:09 pm »
Looks good!  I like the volume knob.  Probably looks stunning in silver.

It comes with a 17" face place right?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #76 on: 30 Nov 2005, 06:46 pm »
Yes it is available in Silver or Black - 17 inch or 19 inch.

james

Mike Pickett

« Reply #77 on: 30 Nov 2005, 10:02 pm »
Hi All;

Here's a pic of a 17" silver SP2, taken in house.  More pics once the pro's send theirs.

Mike

thomaspf

« Reply #78 on: 1 Dec 2005, 06:09 am »
Any chance of posting some specs?

Cheers

Thomas

MattH

« Reply #79 on: 1 Dec 2005, 12:13 pm »
Nice to see its not a huge difference to the SP1.7

I like the embossed Bryston brand on the front :)

Are we going to see pricing etc before christmas for upgrades etc etc ?
Also has there been any decision as to whether the upgrades could be done my PMC in the UK or will all the 1.7 need to go back you in Canada ?

I'm already getting hold of a cheap stand in processor so when my bryston goes I am not without anything :)

Thanks

Matt