Greatest Bargain at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest

Stylus

Greatest Bargain at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest
« on: 8 Oct 2009, 04:39 pm »
Looks like the Salk/Van Alstine room made a favorable impression!  :D

http://www.avguide.com/blog/the-greatest-bargain-the-rocky-mountain-audio-fest?src=Playback

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Greatest Bargain at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2009, 05:39 pm »
Thanks for the link Stylus, a good read. More well deserved recognition for Frank & Jim, their folks, and the equipment they produce.   8)

OgOgilby

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2009, 06:14 pm »
Nice find Stylus. Congrats Frank and Jim!

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2009, 02:37 am »
Congrats to Jim and Dennis.  Too cool!

RadioWonder

« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2009, 12:51 pm »
I do not see anything on the Van Alstine web site about the "UltraValve, a 30Wpc stereo all-tube amplifier for just $1695."
Anyone have a link?

martyo

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2009, 01:10 pm »
Here are a couple of links to threads on the AVA circle. I think the final decision on the faceplate is still pending
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72057.0
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72277.0

RadioWonder

« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2009, 01:13 pm »

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2009, 04:09 pm »
Frank is really busy to post so I will. The design of the Ultravalve is pretty much finalized. It will have a thicker faceplate and it will be natural aluminum with black graphics. The amp will be 30 watts RMS per channel (60 watts in mono, drive by phase inverter bridge) and will sell for (I believe) $1699. Orders are being accepted now. The chassis will be a polished #8 stainless steel finish.

Wayner  :D

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2009, 05:32 pm »
Wayner a few questions if I may:

1. Do you know the dimensions of the UV?
2. What pre-amp of AVA would be a match?
3. Does AVA have a way of implementing this to a Home theater; like a By-Pass feature, on any of their Pre-amps?

Thanks

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 9 Oct 2009, 06:28 pm »
Yes, I can answer those questions. The width is 12 7/8", the depth is 9 1/2" and the thickness (appox. to the top of the chassis is about 2 3/4". The full height to the  top of the tubes is about 7 7/8".

I think any would be fine. We ran a T8 at the show, but I run an Insight+ here at home with great results. I haven't heard the Ultra with the amp, but I would be confident that the performance would be great as well.

Question Number 3, I'm not sure if I understand.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #10 on: 9 Oct 2009, 07:07 pm »
Thank you for the information.

As to my question three: This has been the source of my problems. Trying to configure a set-up that will do all things, music (two channels), home theater (movies), and multi channel audio using the same front speakers. This has been the source of a lot of confusion for me.

My understanding is that there are pre-amps that have the capability of providing a "pass through" selection that will shift the control back to the Home theater receiver (volume, digital formats) to listen to movies and multi channel music.

I may be all mixed up here.

Thanks for the info

vintagebob

« Reply #11 on: 9 Oct 2009, 07:15 pm »
Thank you for the information.

As to my question three: This has been the source of my problems. Trying to configure a set-up that will do all things, music (two channels), home theater (movies), and multi channel audio using the same front speakers. This has been the source of a lot of confusion for me.

My understanding is that there are pre-amps that have the capability of providing a "pass through" selection that will shift the control back to the Home theater receiver (volume, digital formats) to listen to movies and multi channel music.

I may be all mixed up here.

Thanks for the info

There are two different methods of integrating your preamp into an HT system mentioned in this thread.  AVA's solution is in the last post.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71366.0

I hope that helps.  I'll be trying it soon in my own setup...

Wayner

« Reply #12 on: 9 Oct 2009, 07:18 pm »
I have the Sony ES TA-E9000ES preamp for my HT room. It has the ability to run a "phantom" center channel that is actually adjustable, being created by the left and right fronts. Therefore, I run a 4.1 system. In the music mode, I run the "Live House" with the rears barely on. If you'd unplug them, you'd know they were missing. There are a few preamps that can do this. It solved the duality of 2 channel and 5.1 in the same room. I use my AVA gear in my studio, which is solely 2 channel (with great 3d effect).