Fisheye Recommendation

ernest787

Fisheye Recommendation
« on: 27 Apr 2015, 09:08 pm »
Hey there guys.  My wife's birthday is in 2 weeks.  It also happens to be mother's day. Double Whammy for me  :duh:

Anyway, I bought her a Nikon D5100 a couple years ago.  She loves it, but really only uses to take family photos and such.  That being said, she has said for awhile she would really like a fisheye lens. 

Most of the fisheye lenses I've found are extremely expensive.  Being that she is not a "photographer" I find it hard to stomach a $800 lens.  I'd prefer to spend 200-300... possibly a little more if necassary... to get her something that she can get the fisheye effect, and have fun with but won't be a complete waste of money if she ends up using it a handful of times and never going back.

Any advice would be awesome!

Thanks

Jon L

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Fisheye Recommendation
« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2015, 10:49 pm »
Advice?  Don't do it.   It'll end up costing a lot of money on a per-image basis.

OTOH, the cost of not doing what she wants will be FAR higher!     :surrender:

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2015, 08:33 pm »
I think she will be thrilled with Jon L's recommendation. In fact, my birthday...

here is the Ken Rockwell info - I would think for a D5100 you can't miss at that price.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/8mm-f35.htm

ernest787

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2015, 05:42 pm »
sorry for the super late response on this.  Ended up going with the recommendation from Jon L.

She was very happy with it.  She has used it a few times since buying it, especially when making our 8 month year old do "photo shoots" lol.  Overall it was a great purchase. 

Thanks for the advice!