LS6/LS9 Tube or Solid State Amps ?

Cheeseboy

Re: LS6/LS9 Tube or Solid State Amps ?
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jun 2011, 04:23 pm »
My friends Dad did the design work on that line.  He had an awesome Quad system in the living room.  Giant HK amps and D6 in the front and D12's in the rear.  They were great for the time.  We made extra money cutting panels.  I was in heaven as they had an 8 track recorder and we could lay down music for the car on it. 

They don't come close to your 9's that is for sure. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #21 on: 11 Jun 2011, 05:30 pm »
Great comments - Thanks all - If I go tube amp my budget tops at $3K so if anybody sees a deal that they think will sing with LS6 please let me know - So far I'm thinking Primaluna, Melody, and Mystere. Most Cary and Manley's are outside of budget (but one could dream)...

these are fine amps:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1312768329&/Melos-402-Gold-Triode-Plus-Mon
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1311232969&/Melos-Gold-HC-Monoblocks-Fully
the 402's are rated at 400wpc; the others i believe are 200wpc, but i am not sure.  and, triode power.  i am amazed that they are still awailable; they have been posted for quite some time...

i also am partial to the mesa baron; most sell for ~$2-$3k, but i saw one on ebay recently that inexplicably sold for ~$3800.  this amp is amazingly flexible; can be run full triode at 55wpc, full pentode at 150wpc, or 1/3-/2/3 either way, for 85/120wpc.  also adjustable negative feedback from 0 to -8db.

doug s.

Skiman

« Reply #22 on: 11 Jun 2011, 10:23 pm »
I'm surprised Danny hasn't chimed in yet, but I know he is a tube guy. He chose to power his demo LS6/9 at RMAF using custom Dodd monster 275 watt 'battleship' tube monoblocks which were $50,000 or so.

Living in the Denver area, I have attended the annual RMAF for a few years now, and have heard the both the LS6 and 9s powered by many different amp systems including the above plus Red Rock Renaissance tube(40 watts) and Channel Island SS 500 watt. To my ears, they all sounded great, although the Red Rock tubes didn't have enough juice to fully show off the dynamics the LSs are capable of.

My LS9s (three actually) are part of my dedicated home theater, and are powered by a 7 channel Gemstone Blue Diamond  (200 watt/channel) with a Pass Labs X1 preamp for 2 channel bypass, and an Outlaw 950 prepro for surround sound (which is due for replacement). These are all solid state. The room is fully treated and was designed by Rives audio. I prefer the sound in my room.

The biggest difference in these various systems, in my opinion, is the room acoustics and speaker placement, not the amplification. So if you are a tube guy, go with tubes. If you like solid state, then go there.

« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2011, 12:08 am by Skiman »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #23 on: 12 Jun 2011, 12:32 am »

To my ears, they all sounded great, although the Red Rock tubes didn't have enough juice to fully show off the dynamics the LSs are capable of...I've heard from many sources, including Danny and Gary Dodd, that agreed that those Red Rocks just weren't powerful enough

The biggest difference in these various systems, in my opinion, is the room acoustics and speaker placement, not the amplification. So if you are a tube guy, go with tubes. If you like solid state, then go there.   I completely agree that the room and placement are of first order importance.  In my room, it has taken a lot of time to get them like I want them, but I also think that to bring them to their potential, they need a hundreds of watts.

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #24 on: 12 Jun 2011, 02:09 am »
Great comments - Thanks all - If I go tube amp my budget tops at $3K so if anybody sees a deal that they think will sing with LS6 please let me know - So far I'm thinking Primaluna, Melody, and Mystere. Most Cary and Manley's are outside of budget (but one could dream)...

In addition to the 32wpc MK88 that Beatcoaster loved so much with his LS6's, the Melody Astro Black 50 ups output to (obviously) 50wpc plus includes the signature 101D tube regulator and still falls well under your price point at $2539.  (http://www.eaststreetaudio.com/Products/70-melody-astro-black-50-formerly-i880.aspx)

btw, Mystere' is built by Melody on behalf of PrimaLuna. :)
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2011, 08:40 pm by woofersus »

HT cOz

« Reply #25 on: 12 Jun 2011, 02:16 pm »
There are a couple other used Melody's out there right now. Under the Onix brand there is an H34 on Ebay for cheap right now and an Onix H6550 on Audiogon   These are pretty cool amps for not a lot of money.... Try and see if you like.  :green:

I have the H6550 and its a nice amp.  See Pic

pmctexas

« Reply #26 on: 13 Jun 2011, 09:50 pm »
My concern on the Onix line is support in case something needs repair and if it has enough power to drive the LS speakers... Anybody have experience with Canary tube amps ?
Thanks

HT cOz

« Reply #27 on: 14 Jun 2011, 12:06 am »
That is a concern to be sure.  I think Bascom King would help out if they broke but who knows you may have to scrap their circuit and get someone to rework a new amp using trafo's and chassis.  I'm most likely in for good on them as they were my first truly audiophile purchase.   :thumb:

On a secondary note and of interest is the news from Hypex http://www.hypex.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89 I think some very great amps could come about from this work.  It's a great time to be in audio!  :green:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #28 on: 14 Jun 2011, 12:50 am »
Paul,

If in case you want to try those Onix integrated and something goes wrong, any competent repair shop can fix it with the available circuit diagram which we will be more than happy to furnish.

OTOH, as Beatcoaster stated a few posts back, he was rather pleased with our Melody MK88. :)
My concern on the Onix line is support in case something needs repair and if it has enough power to drive the LS speakers... Anybody have experience with Canary tube amps ?
Thanks

HT cOz

« Reply #29 on: 14 Jun 2011, 03:57 am »
Hugh that's great info to know. Makes keeping it that much easier.

As far as power mine never makes past 25 percent. Bass and mid range are very nice the highs are there but perhaps tad rolled off. Very very easy to listen to.

Naturally the new Melodies are altogether different so only people who have heard them know their character.

skeeter99

« Reply #30 on: 14 Jun 2011, 03:59 am »
Paul,

If in case you want to try those Onix integrated and something goes wrong, any competent repair shop can fix it with the available circuit diagram which we will be more than happy to furnish.

OTOH, as Beatcoaster stated a few posts back, he was rather pleased with our Melody MK88. :)

I was there for that listening session (I brought the MK88 with me) and we were really floored by how amazing the pairing was. 34 watts and at 9:00 (like Mike said) we were LOUD! There was no lack of refinement or clues to any sort of breakup; just clean and clear and defined. That MK88 is the amp I want for both big speakers or little. Its outstanding.

Scott

Cheeseboy

« Reply #31 on: 14 Jun 2011, 04:04 am »
There really was no "before" the Moscode.  When I bought the LS9 kit, I had the vintage Knight that put out just over 30 wpc.  I had been told by Danny that I would probably need more power, so I picked up the Moscode 300.  Then I found a matching Knight, and they are switchable into mono- so I got bought it and got Gary Dodd to go through it.  The two old Knights really do a nicely musical job, but the Moscode 300 controlled the bass better and added detail.  So I started looking for a deal on a used 401HR.  When I found one, it needed repair (intermittent solder joint), and while George Kaye had it he recommended the upgrade. 

From what I have heard over the last few hours, the upgrades have clearly moved it up a notch, and I think that I have the amp I need for these speakers. Listening to "The Planets" by Holst, instruments separate in a way that I hadn't heard before, dynamics are DYNAMIC, and I found myself with goosebumps while listening.  Goosebumps are just about as good as it gets for me.  It's 1am, but the wife is out of town, so I think I'll go back and listen some more! :D

What preamp are you fronting that amp with? 

HT cOz

« Reply #32 on: 14 Jun 2011, 04:08 am »
Don't forget the fun of tube rolling. The winged C 6550 tubes made a huge improvement in my amp.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #33 on: 14 Jun 2011, 04:25 am »
What preamp are you fronting that amp with?
The Dodd battery preamp, and I'm unlikely to look for another anytime soon.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #34 on: 14 Jun 2011, 04:20 pm »
That would be my choice for the Grammys as well.  I have seen some great prices on used for these lately.  I think one was for sale here for $1750. 

Any mating problems with the Moscode? 

Dodd, Moscode and LS9's.  What time is the BBQ start?  I'll bring the wine.

nickd

« Reply #35 on: 15 Jun 2011, 10:13 pm »
I have heard a pair of Canary mono's. Don't remember the model :scratch: I thought at the time thay were quite good. Build quality was also top notch. The prices I have been seeing on them seem a little steep. :o

I would consider a pair though if they were as good looking as Cary 805's. A long time favorite of mine.

I have also been  :drool: about NAT amps. I had a NAT Preamp for a couple of months and was blown away with the sound. Maybe the best tube pre I have expierenced. The remote was a little hokey though.

pmctexas

« Reply #36 on: 17 Jun 2011, 12:25 pm »
Thanks All - I'm leaning this down to a couple of choices - I welcome opinion's... Choice #1 Used converted Rogue M-180 (converted late last year from M-150) or Choice #2 New 2 X Jolida JD502P..

Jazz listener with LS-6/20'X24' room/Odyssey Preamp... Looking for "fat" mid's (e.g., vocals sound like front row)

Cary/Manley seems out of price range.

Quicksilver seem too "plain looking"

El-34/6550/KT88 preferred because of tube cost...

Domestic tube amps preferred same with Manufacterers still in business - Budget tops at $3K

HT cOz

« Reply #37 on: 17 Jun 2011, 03:17 pm »

Cheeseboy

« Reply #38 on: 21 Jun 2011, 06:01 am »
PMC,

Check out this amp.  I think with all of new improvements that you will get the best of tubes and solid state with this. 

http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=153&Itemid=209

Take a good hard look at this amp.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #39 on: 21 Jun 2011, 03:38 pm »
PMC,

Check out this amp.  I think with all of new improvements that you will get the best of tubes and solid state with this. 

http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=153&Itemid=209

Take a good hard look at this amp.

Umm, maybe not.  That site has been suspended which doesn't say good things about the owner/manufacturer...