RMAF update

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: RMAF update
« Reply #20 on: 5 Oct 2009, 10:58 pm »
I spent a lot of time in the room this last weekend.  It was one of the best sounding rooms at RMAF.  The sound was clean, rich, and dynamic,  with a nice wide deep soundstage.

The speakers are dynamic and go down to 18 hz (if I remember correctly).  The mids and highs are full and clean.  These speakers are excellent and affordable.

The preamp and power amp had a rich sound and I was shocked tubes could produce such powerful lows.  The sound was rich and detailed.

The RMAF rooms suck sonically but the use of the PI Audio diffusers and some absorption allowed the music to shine without excessive nodes or blare.   The Uberbuss no doubt cleaned up the power lot as the system was very quiet and allowing instruments to be well defined.

All in all, the room, speakers, and electronics complemented each other extremely well.  I think if you bought everything in the room you would spend ~$12K, and it crushed almost every other room at the show. 

I have a decent vinyl setup in my system, and I was shocked to hear an Apple laptop sourced system provide such depth and such rich sound.

Danny, Gary, and Dave put together an amazing room this year.  Every piece in the room was top notch and was set up very well.
Darrell, thanks for the compliments. Considering what we had to work with for a room it was pretty OK, methinks.  We had a lot of fun doing this show and the people that dropped by seemed to be enjoying themselves.  I know that I had a great time.

When you stop to think about our room, we had amazing bang for the buck.

MacMini music server - $400.00 of of Ebay

Dodd Audio battery powered buffer - $995.00

Dodd Audio battery powered EL84 stereo amplifier - $995.00

DB DAC - $995.00

GR Research Super V speaker- 2495.00 for the kit plus the flat pack cost of $995.00

My PI audio group UberBUSS at $995.00 supplying noise free AC to the Dodd Audio Balanced Power Supply - $1195.00 which fed AC to the sub amps, the Mac and the DAC. Add the cost of the interconnect cabling and you are right: great sound at a fraction of the cost of most of the other systems there. 

I saw $6,000/meter interconnects at this show.  How did they sound?  They were in a room that advertised "THE BEST LOUDSPEAKER IN THE WORLD, PERIOD!" connecting megabuck this and megabuck that.  The sound in that room sucked, and not in a small way.  It was overblown, etched and surreal.  BIG money making BIG sound that was not musical in the least.

It is comforting to know that music still lives and breathes at affordable prices.  It is an even better feeling to be part of it.  My hat is off to everyone that had a hand in making our room FUN to be in.  We made MUSIC and it felt good.

Thanks again, Darrell.

Dave

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 5 Oct 2009, 11:59 pm »
RMAF 2009 was a blast.   Being able to see old friends and be with new friends listening to music on all kinds of systems is a blast!   

Audio talk in The Lift over microbrews is a big plus by just walking down the hall!

Spent lots of time in room with the V1 Max with Danny, Gary and Dave.   The V-1 Max's do many things better than alot of speakers I have heard in recent listening.  Dynamics are huge, response was very wide with a very good sounding room with few problems after treatment.  It was a so much of a blast that the show pair of V1 Max are on their way to my house!   WOOHOO!  :-)

Dave and Bill at least do not think all my music is crazy!   :wink:

Got Danny and Gary packed by 10AM this morning any they are on their way home.  Have a safe trip guy's!

Hope to see everyone next year at RMAF.   :rock:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #22 on: 6 Oct 2009, 12:41 am »
RMAF 2009 was a blast.   Being able to see old friends and be with new friends listening to music on all kinds of systems is a blast!   

Audio talk in The Lift over microbrews is a big plus by just walking down the hall!

Spent lots of time in room with the V1 Max with Danny, Gary and Dave.   The V-1 Max's do many things better than alot of speakers I have heard in recent listening.  Dynamics are huge, response was very wide with a very good sounding room with few problems after treatment.  It was a so much of a blast that the show pair of V1 Max are on their way to my house!   WOOHOO!  :-)

Got Danny and Gary packed by 10AM this morning any they are on their way home.  Have a safe trip guy's!

Yep, it was a ball.  It was great getting to know you and the rest of the loonies just like us. 

Thank you for your curiosity with the BUSSes, too.  It is cool when someone buys something and they "get it", you know?  Shoot me an email and we'll talk about some things. 

I'll be curious about how the speakers integrate into your room.  After all, since I'll be getting a pair it will be good to compare notes.

Take care,

Dave

jn316

« Reply #23 on: 6 Oct 2009, 02:39 am »
It was a so much of a blast that the show pair of V1 Max are on their way to my house!   WOOHOO!  :-)

I knew I should have swiped those puppies while the power was out...Gary's tubes were putting out too much light though...stinking batteries!   :duh:

Have fun with those babies, Rich.

Gary   :thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 6 Oct 2009, 03:11 am »
Dave,
Will be in touch.  Looking forward the Uber Buss.

Gary,
I cannot get the LS9's in my room any longer due to the deck we added.  The V1 Max will be a wonderful alternative!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #25 on: 6 Oct 2009, 03:17 am »
Bass is in the house.... :rock:
And that's very clean bass !!!! 8)

Once again...Danny pulls out all the stops !! :rock:

Well treated room....very good electronics (Dodd)...power conditioning...computer front end....and some really excellent loudspeakers...the V1 Max....NICE !!! aa

I pretty much agree with the comments posted....and would say....at the prices posted....it would make an excellent system in anyone's home.

I had fun...well done guys.... :beer:

I hope many others get the chance to hear this speaker...and the whole system...you'll be in for a big surprise.... :dance:

Chris

shadowlight

« Reply #26 on: 6 Oct 2009, 01:16 pm »

Congratulation Rich.   Any insight on the USB DAC?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #27 on: 6 Oct 2009, 01:28 pm »
Rich,

It was great to seeing you again.

Please keep in touch.

charles28722

tf121682, as for the guy who designed the revelator
« Reply #28 on: 6 Oct 2009, 02:01 pm »
I believe the poster was referring to the Gamut room.  They were on the main floor in the large Evergreen room and had the Phi 7 (small speakers) and their flagship playing.  Both were very impressive and well demonstrated.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #29 on: 6 Oct 2009, 02:58 pm »
I managed to get a listen to a couple of tunes in the GR room.

1. Well set up room lots, of room treatment, unlike 90% of the exhibitors there, Danny set up the room to get the most out of the speakers. You didn't get  they sound better but this is a hotel room there.

2 good clean bass and lots of it

3 My thought on v1 max speakers the tracks i heard sounded really good I didn't get a chance to play my test  tracks so i can't comment on those but the tracks i heard very good very musical.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

4 Bottom line impression is that this is a speaker that's worth the money and i would not hesitate to recommend it, I think its very articulate design that outshines a lot of speakers at this price point and above. Should  bring a smile to a lot music lovers.

ED

It was nice to get to meet  Danny R. and Gary Dodd All ways nice to meet a couple of guys who's passion for this hobby runs that deep

Milehighguy

« Reply #30 on: 6 Oct 2009, 03:21 pm »
V-1 Max, or Super V ? Several posters here are calling the speaker the v-1 Max, but Danny refers to the speaker as the Super V.
A rose by any other name...
In any event, I believe Danny's guarantee was fulfilled. One of the best sounding rooms at the show, and no other speaker at the show had better bass. And as usual, The best bang for the buck.
Well done.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #31 on: 6 Oct 2009, 06:20 pm »
What DAC was being used besides the DB DAC?  I cannot remember the manufacturer but I believe there was a noticeable difference in quality when switching to the DB.

Thanks,

James

jn316

« Reply #32 on: 6 Oct 2009, 09:13 pm »
Danny switched to his DAC-60 at midday on Saturday. I do not know what was used on Sunday...I was not there. The DB DAC had an issue on Sat, hence the switch, but it might have been taken care of and put back in the system on Sunday. Also please remember, the DB DAC is a prototype, so don't be alarmed that it had an issue.

jn316

« Reply #33 on: 6 Oct 2009, 09:17 pm »
Hugh. Was that you having lunch with Rich (HAL) and Chris on Saturday at the microbrew in the hotel? If so, I should have had asked who you guys were. That'll teach me to be anti-social!

Gary :)

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 6 Oct 2009, 11:09 pm »
The DB DAC was back in use on Sunday, but I did not get to the room in time to hear it before it went home. :cry:

The moded Lite Audio DAC-60 was the other DAC tied to the MAC Mini.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #35 on: 6 Oct 2009, 11:10 pm »
Hugh,
Glad to see you again as well!  Will keep in touch. 

Rich

Rich,

It was great to seeing you again.

Please keep in touch.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #36 on: 6 Oct 2009, 11:13 pm »
Gary,
Chris and I were with Hugh, Nhan, Tim (woofersus) and Kevin (Sandbagger) at that point.  Next time stop by for a brew and talk!   :thumb: 

Hugh. Was that you having lunch with Rich (HAL) and Chris on Saturday at the microbrew in the hotel? If so, I should have had asked who you guys were. That'll teach me to be anti-social!

Gary :)
« Last Edit: 7 Oct 2009, 12:27 am by HAL »

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #37 on: 6 Oct 2009, 11:15 pm »
Ok, missed the Super-V designation.   :duh:

V-1 Max, or Super V ? Several posters here are calling the speaker the v-1 Max, but Danny refers to the speaker as the Super V.
A rose by any other name...
In any event, I believe Danny's guarantee was fulfilled. One of the best sounding rooms at the show, and no other speaker at the show had better bass. And as usual, The best bang for the buck.
Well done.

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #38 on: 6 Oct 2009, 11:22 pm »
Had a great time.  I probably saw more of you than I realize, but wasn't introduced, so I don't know.  It was really good to meet Rich, Chris, Hugh, Danny, Gary, Mr & Mrs Ninja, Nahn, Sandbagger, and a couple of others who don't hang out here, though.

The Super-V's were great.  If you only heard them on Day 1, they're even better after some break-in and a few adjustments made to the room treatments.  The bass was fantastic.  It was my first time hearing the servo subs.  I heard some things that were awful, some that were ok, and a few that I liked.  The Super-V's were the cheapest in that last category by far.  Excellent work, Danny!

madfloyd

« Reply #39 on: 7 Oct 2009, 12:14 pm »
I'll add my $.02 and say that I loved my time in this room.  These speakers packed one heck of a punch - best bass and drums I heard at the show.  I can't get these speakers out of my mind - them and the $45k Vandersteens anyway (pretty good company there).

It was great to meet Danny and Dave.

Ian