NX-Studio stand suggestions

jlucas

NX-Studio stand suggestions
« on: 3 Feb 2021, 10:34 am »
I have a smaller room that I’m going to build NX-Studios for. Due to the size, Danny recommend a single 2 driver servo sub unit positioned horizontally in the center so I won’t be using servo subs as stands like many people are doing.   That leaves me looking for some stands that work well with the NX-studio.  If you have a suggestion, preferably with a picture, please post and share.

Early B.

Re: NX-Studio stand suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2021, 01:17 pm »
It will be tough to find commercially available speaker stands with top plates large enough and appropriately shaped to safely accommodate the NX Studio. Build your own.

Argoncat

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2021, 03:21 pm »
SonicJoy used some Elac stands made for Adante series speakers..  His build series can be found here.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=168181.0

I built my own stands from walnut stock and used an end-grain walnut cutting board as the support platform.  The bottom of my Studio's are recessed by 1/4" to make room for 6 very soft (30D) sorbothane pucks giving a nice reveal between the walnut slab and the bottom of the speaker cabinet.  The rear mounting points are adjustable thumbscrews (from a laser optical table) that allows me to control incline..  If you are constructing the NX-Studio's the extension to making stands is not an impossible leap and allows you to bring your aesthetic vision home; I echo Early B's remarks; build your own.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2021, 05:39 pm »
I built my own stands from walnut stock and used an end-grain walnut cutting board as the support platform. 

These stands are awesome!

oskar

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2021, 06:36 pm »
I agree.
How deep are those NX's?

jlucas

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2021, 07:05 pm »
Build your own.

No wood shop here, I can glue up flat packs but fabricating from scratch is not likely to happen anytime soon.

Jeremy

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2021, 07:10 pm »
I agree.
How deep are those NX's?

They are 16" deep from front to back.

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2021, 07:28 pm »
No wood shop here, I can glue up flat packs but fabricating from scratch is not likely to happen anytime soon.

OK, do a hybrid build -- buy some sturdy speaker stands and attach a pair of 16" butcher blocks to the top plates.  No wood shop needed -- just a drill and some screws.

Maybe these:

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGDS400&variation=24&gclid=CjwKCAiAsOmABhAwEiwAEBR0ZhMtVUW4g6DCO4AoctO43JojSYHCt2OaEAdHs_SN2j9Iv3zwDAHPtxoCEy8QAvD_BwE

Chilkoot

« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2021, 08:23 pm »
Wow. Those stands looks great!

mick wolfe

« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2021, 08:31 pm »

Jeremy
Check out the 24" Monoprice stands. Look about the same in dimension as the the Pangea's from AudioAdvisor only cheaper. And BTW, don't try gluing up the flatpacks without several wood clamps of various sizes. Plus a second set of hands wouldn't hurt. Easy enough project, but it more than helps to have woodworking experience.

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 5 Feb 2021, 10:42 pm »
Dang Argoncat, those are really good looking.