RMAF Debate....

charmerci

Re: RMAF Debate....
« Reply #40 on: 19 Apr 2014, 02:04 am »
Well, it seems to me that the Ninjas should go with you and split the cost and effort in order to show people that the transition is going on and for the word to spread around that the company is in good hands.

WGH

« Reply #41 on: 19 Apr 2014, 04:24 pm »
A few more thoughts about RMAF:

One of the news items this week was Architectural Traditions, a large national door manufacturer and supplier in Tucson just went out of business and kept everyone's deposits. (Click here for AZ Starnet article) The economy hasn't turned the corner yet, looks like they held on as long as they could but new houses are not being built like before.

I think everyone is downsizing, no more McMansions with rooms big enough for monstrous speaker setups. I know a guy who would like large speakers but with a small living room and a wife he is now in the market for high quality bookshelf speakers. Most people have a limited imagination, if they are at RMAF shopping for small speakers and go in a room with a big state-of-the-art setup they will love the sound but then move on to another room looking for something that will fit into their house.

The potential buyer of GR Research will want a quick return on their investment which would translate to selling lots and lots of small speaker packages. Think of RMAF as an open house, interested investors come in, kick the tires and see what you got. Lots of traffic would get the word out, how about a raffle? Most of RMAF attendees would show up for a chance to win a small pair of speakers, once they are in the room you also get a chance to up-sell them too.

Wayne

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #42 on: 19 Apr 2014, 10:40 pm »
Hi, ya'll.  I waited to see what the responses were from unbiased or differently biased eyes than my own..

My take is this:  do a smaller system that kills at ANY pricepoint.  It is easier to do with things on a bigger scale, but amazing when it all comes out of a small package.  Think of it this way.  When someones goes into a room and sees big speakers they expect "Whoa".  When they walk in and see a modest sized system in a larger room and it kicks butt they get "WHOA!".  Show people that you can get world class sound for under $5-6K for the entire system.  You (we?0 can do this.  I know that for a fact.

I will be there, health permitting.  It was a bummer to miss this year. :(

Dave

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #43 on: 19 Apr 2014, 11:16 pm »
Hi, ya'll.  I waited to see what the responses were from unbiased or differently biased eyes than my own..

My take is this:  do a smaller system that kills at ANY pricepoint.  It is easier to do with things on a bigger scale, but amazing when it all comes out of a small package.  Think of it this way.  When someones goes into a room and sees big speakers they expect "Whoa".  When they walk in and see a modest sized system in a larger room and it kicks butt they get "WHOA!".  Show people that you can get world class sound for under $5-6K for the entire system.  You (we?0 can do this.  I know that for a fact.

Dave

+1, what Dave said!!! WE missed you last October, Dave... just not the same without you!

I'm there as well as long as you need me!

Cheers,
Pete

Captainhemo

« Reply #44 on: 20 Apr 2014, 12:06 am »

Dave

+2 
This is what I was getting at  in my earlier post....  and like you  are saying Dave,  even more of an impact  when you guys show it can be done for a reasonable amount of $$ and without the so called "big names".
I know there are those out there who want the big $$ , high end names in the systems and that is fine, but I think for many,  achieving the results with products that are affodable and just great value  is more appealing.

Go show em how it's done   guys   :thumb:

-jay
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2014, 04:36 am by Captainhemo »

JohnR

« Reply #45 on: 22 Apr 2014, 09:04 am »
It's really not profitable for me to go, but everyone expects to see me go....

What about just going, but not exhibit/pay for a room?

Danny Richie

« Reply #46 on: 22 Apr 2014, 02:25 pm »
What about just going, but not exhibit/pay for a room?

I have considered that too.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #47 on: 24 Apr 2014, 12:52 am »
Had another thought as I was scanning through another thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=125403.msg1322850;topicseen#new

Are these likely to still be available at RMAF time? Any chance there's any budget from them? I think people would love a chance to hear them or at least see others' commenting on their sound before purchasing... :dunno:

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #48 on: 24 Apr 2014, 01:11 am »
danny, bring a small system to lsaf,regular room and relax and have fun.

Brad

« Reply #49 on: 24 Apr 2014, 01:13 am »
Exactly - even bring a system around the neat little desktop speaker

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #50 on: 24 Apr 2014, 01:57 am »
I don't really see the problem with showcasing your bread & butter.  If that's what people want then show what can be done for modest budgets.  Considering the lack of purchasing power out there it's no surprise these are selling the best.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #51 on: 13 Aug 2014, 04:12 pm »
So, have there been any updates on this?  :dunno:

I know there's a lot going on.

Danny Richie

« Reply #52 on: 13 Aug 2014, 05:20 pm »
I did reserve my old room. I have so much going on right now though including family issues, that I still may pull the plug on it though.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #53 on: 13 Aug 2014, 06:40 pm »
I did reserve my old room. I have so much going on right now though including family issues, that I still may pull the plug on it though.
I understand completely. Hope the Family issues get resolved quickly and with a positive outcome.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #54 on: 13 Aug 2014, 06:48 pm »
Considering the best in show reviews you received for your system last year, you might be better off in the long run by simply attending and networking some of the other vendors to market your consulting services.  There have to be quite a few vendors who wish to improve their products or even start a new speaker line to go with whatever electronics they currently make.  After last year, you will be in a very strong position to sell your services and this way your schedule would be flexible and cost less.  Just a thought.

Danny Richie

« Reply #55 on: 13 Aug 2014, 06:51 pm »
Considering the best in show reviews you received for your system last year, you might be better off in the long run by simply attending and networking some of the other vendors to market your consulting services.  There have to be quite a few vendors who wish to improve their products or even start a new speaker line to go with whatever electronics they currently make.  After last year, you will be in a very strong position to sell your services and this way your schedule would be flexible and cost less.  Just a thought.

I appreciate that thought and am strongly considering that. And our room has won some of those best in show honors multiple times.

TomS

« Reply #56 on: 13 Aug 2014, 07:31 pm »
I appreciate that thought and am strongly considering that. And our room has won some of those best in show honors multiple times.
It was also be fun to have you on one of the panel discussions  :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #57 on: 13 Aug 2014, 08:07 pm »
It was also be fun to have you on one of the panel discussions  :thumb:

If I did go, but did not exhibit then I would consider that.

I have to admit. I dread the haul of gear (loaded trailer), set up, tare down, and all the work involved. It wipes me out. But I love getting to see everyone and I love the fellowship of good friends. Lots to think about.

TomS

« Reply #58 on: 13 Aug 2014, 08:50 pm »
If I did go, but did not exhibit then I would consider that.

I have to admit. I dread the haul of gear (loaded trailer), set up, tare down, and all the work involved. It wipes me out. But I love getting to see everyone and I love the fellowship of good friends. Lots to think about.
I can't imagine that, what a literal pain! As some have said, maybe take the high value approach like Klaus does, rather than a stream of statement products. You also have a lot to offer there, and it would better support whoever carries on the business.

Danny Richie

« Reply #59 on: 13 Aug 2014, 09:14 pm »
I can't imagine that, what a literal pain! As some have said, maybe take the high value approach like Klaus does, rather than a stream of statement products. You also have a lot to offer there, and it would better support whoever carries on the business.

As of right now I am keeping ownership of the business moving forward.