Got a set of used LS6 Speakers, Questions now!

ufokillerz

Got a set of used LS6 Speakers, Questions now!
« on: 11 Feb 2013, 09:41 pm »
I just got a set of piano rosewood LS6 speakers in, and i have some questions.

The No-Rez inside is all detached, these are AV123 speakers, so they have a few years on them, what is the best way to reattaching no rez?

Port Tubes, should these things be glued together, or were they left as is to make it easier to disassemble if necessary?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Re: Got a set of used LS6 Speakers, Questions now!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2013, 10:10 pm »
I'd use 3M glue spray to stick them back.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Super-77/Super77/

I'd leave those port tubes as is, providing they are still tight.

Good luck.

kingdeezie

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2013, 10:11 pm »
Hey man.

Congrats on the LSs. I have had a pair for a few years now, and I would like to delude myself into thinking that I am an expert on getting these speakers to sing to their maximum potential.

I have been through the ringer with these things trying to get them to perform well in my 13x18x8 room, and it has taken a lot of patience, and a good amount of mistakes to get them sounding like everyone said they should.

For the record, mine were initial from AV123 as well. Now, the only thing AV123 left, is the cabinets, and the drivers.

In terms of the No-Rez, AV123 had did a pretty poor job of installing the No Rez in my speakers. They used as little as possible, and didn't clean off the side of the cabinets very well causing a similar issue to yours with pieces falling off. I wound up just buying all new slabs of No-Rez from Danny, and fixing the situation. I used Behr Floor Adhesive remover to get the gunk off the sides, and then cut all new pieces of No Rez where needed.

If you don't want to purchase new No-Rez because it is expensive, I am sure that a nice tube of the multi-purpose Gorilla Glue would do a well enough to keep the No Rez from falling back off the walls. I am sure other people can chime in here as well. I would think the most important part would be cleaning off the walls of any goo that would block adhesion.

For what it is worth, the outside of my ports are glued to the enclosure. IIRC, you can remove the tube from the inside of the speaker, which I believe is normal.

While you are in the enclosure fixing the No-Rez, I would buy Polyfill and stuff the cabinets with them. You can buy PolyFill at Walmart for pretty cheap, and when you stuff the speakers with them, in combination with the No-Rez, the bass and the lower mid range will clean up extremely well. I would recommend this highly, since it is cheap and easy to do.

Once you get the No-Rez and the Polyfill in, I would certainly look here, http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm .

The Giant Fat Glider, since I was provided with ZERO spikes from AV123 (honestly was luck enough just to get the speakers), did wonders for cleaning up the bass. They also make the speaker easier to move along the floor. If you already have spikes, Herbies sells a version of the gliders that accept spikes.

These are probably the most inexpensive upgrades you can do right now.

Obviously, after this point, you can get sucked into the world of room treatments (if you do not already have some). The LSs make some serious bass that can overload a smaller room quite easily, and ruin all of the detail, soundstaging, and naturalness they are capable of. I have 21 bass traps in my small room, and still experience incremental improvements each time I add more.

If you are really feeling froggy, there is also crossover upgrades available as well. Since I have zero soldering skills, I had Bill Baker of Purity Audio make me some crossovers from Danny's design using higher quality parts then what were in the original crossovers.

Danny, sells an upgrade kit for the crossovers, which I think are just bypass capacitors that are supposed to make a very nice difference for not a lot of financial outlay.

Good luck with the speakers man! If you have any questions, I am sure that Danny and others will be here to help you. Of course, you can feel free to PM me, and I'll do the best I can to help you out.

Take care.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2013, 10:16 pm »
The No Rez in my LS9s is attached with Liquid Nails.  Like yours, the standard adhesive on the No Rez would not stick to the AV123 cabinets.

ufokillerz

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2013, 10:21 pm »
Thanks for the quick replies

some of my ports fell out from the back, so i grabbed then and pushed all the ports out the back so i can better assess the situation i have at hand.

i have poorly cut no rez inside the cabinets, and poly fill in the most bottom section of the ls6

i am assuming i want polyfill or similar acoustic material surrounding the port tubes?, i say similar because i probably have 50lbs of acoustic cotton i purchased for another project.

i will definitely look into the feet! i am quite fond of sorbothane feet for some reason and might go with some of those if i find anything that could support these speakers.

mojave

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2013, 11:12 pm »
+1 on the 3M Super 77 spray. It is very easy to just spray the back of the the No Rez and stick it in place in the LS-6. I cut and installed the No Rez for both speakers in about 1 1/2 hours.

ufokillerz

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2013, 03:23 am »
Thanks, i ended up using some loctite powergrab construction adhesive, only thing i had around and i wanted to get the speakers up and running.

question for the polyfill, do you want to stuff the entire area up to the brim with polyfill?
does someone know how much polyfill i need?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2013, 03:37 am »
I had asked Danny this same question.  Loosely fill from the rear of the speaker to the internal edge of the port opening. 

Cheeseboy

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2013, 06:42 pm »
Hey Killerz,

Welcome to the LS6 club.  I'm still exploring the potential of this speaker system. 
There are a few of us that want to do the cross over upgrade when we can find a time to get together. 

It doesn't look like room treatments are going to be a problem for you. 

Steve

ufokillerz

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2013, 06:59 pm »
Hey Killerz,

Welcome to the LS6 club.  I'm still exploring the potential of this speaker system. 
There are a few of us that want to do the cross over upgrade when we can find a time to get together. 

It doesn't look like room treatments are going to be a problem for you. 

Steve

i have a treated front wall, but and some 4" thick acoustic panels at the first reflection point, but thats about it, i have a open living room setup, and will probably have to move the seats back a bit. I have a single row seating, for HT setup, 6 seats straight across.

tweaking these sure wont be easy, all my previous speakers were pretty much put in place and they sounded good, never had rear ported speakers before.

the + side is the WAF, wife commented on how nice these look compared to my black speakers. daughter came running over to give the LS6 a rub as well hah.

doug067

« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2013, 10:52 pm »
Sounds like the family are taking a liking to them. That sometimes is the biggest trick. Also sounds like your on the right track on the comments (there's some smart guys hangin round here!! started right off the bat for you! Hugh) I used both the 3m and the loctite. Both work well. Poly fill to the port tube edges, and your room has no chance without treatment. Maybe the greatest addition to the ls-6 besides the no rez and Mr Ritchie upgrading your crossovers is room treatment. Have fun.  Congrats!!

ufokillerz

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2013, 02:46 am »
Thanks, i tried searching on these forums, but its not always easy digging through the multitude of posts available on the forums to find what i want.

I have emailed Danny to inquire about the LS6 upgrades and a LS-C center, hopefully i will hear from him soon. These speakers have me very excited, just that it will be a while until i get it worked out the way i want, being that it is not in a dedicated listening room.

doug067

« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2013, 03:06 am »
I got the ls-c cabinet will be getting the kit pretty soon. Good stuff.

ufokillerz

« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2013, 04:03 am »
I have a lot to figure out, my previous speakers were pro speakers, i had the jtr quintuple, followed by the yorkville unity u215, these ls6 speakers are very different then my previous speakers, the previous ones did not require much tweaking to work in my room.

right now with the ls6 i am getting some sort of harshness, too much treble maybe? that causes fatigue, i am very new to all these terms and all, but i hope to resolve this soon

have some loose binding posts i need to fix up too.

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 13 Feb 2013, 05:34 am »
Posting any pics of the room might help us to diagnose what you are working with. 

ufokillerz

« Reply #15 on: 13 Feb 2013, 07:29 am »
This is how the front of the room looks like, the ls6 are pretty much where my yorkville unity would be now, they are about 18" away from the front wall. room is 16' wide in front, expands approximately 26' back total from front wall, seating position is 11-12' from main speakers, room is opened on the entire right side and rear. left side is wall with 1 window as seen in picture. rear of seating position is 2 windows and a lot of other things due to open layout.

i know i have a lot of work ahead of me. This is not a dedicated space, and the speakers will probably serve as ht and dedicated audio speakers.

a lot of my things aren't set up optimally, they were setup based on the space i had at hand.
the only treatments i have are the front wall, and 2 standing panels on both the left and right sides.

also sent you a email Danny, about LS6 upgrades, and LS-C Kit. Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 13 Feb 2013, 03:08 pm »
That is really not a bad start.

Hardwood floors do tend to make the sound a lot more lively and aggressive. Looks like you might have a throw rug on it though. That helps a lot.

Your gear is another thing to consider as the culprit for what you described. The LS-6's are highly revealing and will often allow the character of what is a head of them to come through very clearly while many speakers will often color over that character with their own.

We'll help you get everything tuned up.

ufokillerz

« Reply #17 on: 13 Feb 2013, 03:39 pm »
That is really not a bad start.

Hardwood floors do tend to make the sound a lot more lively and aggressive. Looks like you might have a throw rug on it though. That helps a lot.

Your gear is another thing to consider as the culprit for what you described. The LS-6's are highly revealing and will often allow the character of what is a head of them to come through very clearly while many speakers will often color over that character with their own.

We'll help you get everything tuned up.

thanks danny, i have a 8' x 11' plush rug with rug pad in front of my sitting area, the LS6 as it is actually sits on the carpet a bit to move away from the wall enough.  the LS6 currently only have felt pads on the bottom, i am replacing those with sorbothane feet today. My system is geared very heavily towards HT, but i am moving more towards audio very very slowly.
my gear is slowly getting upgraded, i went from a onkyo 5507 to a marantz av8801 which will have to work for me until i get something more dedicated. i have hypex ncore400 amps which will be upgraded to the ncore1200 versions in the coming weeks. Most of my audio is digitized lossless audio. My interconnects are currently monoprice, which might be a big problem.

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 13 Feb 2013, 03:43 pm »
The cables can make a pretty big difference. Power cables and conditioning especially can be a big deal.

Let me know when you are ready and I might be able to loan you some to try.

ufokillerz

« Reply #19 on: 13 Feb 2013, 03:53 pm »
The cables can make a pretty big difference. Power cables and conditioning especially can be a big deal.

Let me know when you are ready and I might be able to loan you some to try.

I am upgrading a lot of stuff at once, cables might come last for me, i do believe they make a difference, how much is something i have not ascertained yet.

I have a APC S15, its a decent start to power conditioning, definitely no where near ac regenerators in terms of power.