Super V bridge to LS6's?

MichaelHiFi

Super V bridge to LS6's?
« on: 22 Aug 2012, 09:08 pm »
My Super V's have been getting a lot of playing time. They have been well recieved by many who have passed through the doors of our home. Funny though as they sounded their worse during the get-to-gether, regardless, upstream issues have been mitigated and all is well. Of course there's always room for improvement  :wink:

As some folks already know, I'm using a pair of Joule Electra VZN100's mono tube amps on the V's. This was one of those traded for to sell, oh hell, hook em up oh my God moments. Since then a number of amps have graced my room, most recently the nCores. No contest though, the Joules ate them and didn't even burp.  :nono: We really didn't want to like those Joules.

The most noticable songs/bands that the LS6's had major goosebump factor were Depeche Mode "Ultra" Shiny Toy Guns Seaon of Poison, Porcupine tree, a few others. I mean it sounds great to awesome in our room now but we did have LS6's which set an amazingly high bar in that regard. The LS6's could also be ruthless with some music unless very careful attention was paid to noise in the upstream components, especially in the AC that feeds the system.

I had a Melody integrated the AN11 playing through the V's which I need to finish my review of. Really nice amp by the way!

We've played our catalog of music a few times now and what comes to mind is what might be lacking compared to our next favorite speaker, the LS6. The V in my humble opinion can play with any speaker I've heard. That is, it'll play vocals, rock, folk, electronica, you name it with grace and aplomb. Compared to the LS6 however it missing at projecting the pressure around the mid-bass region. I'm comparing this to the LS6's which are great in this area. My wife and I always admired Wilsons for this reason and enjoyed the 6's in the same way. I'm betting another pair of servo subs or something like would be awful fun. Bridge to the LS6's?  :scratch:

Are we crazy?  :o
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2012, 10:38 pm by MichaelHiFi »

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Re: Super V bridge to LS6's?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2012, 09:12 pm »
M,

The answer to your question lays with LS9. :)

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2012, 09:14 pm »
Interesting observation about the sense of power or presense (if I feel you right) in the bass region.  What might that be attributed to? 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2012, 09:46 pm »
The subs on the Super V sound good up to 200hz, you might just try running them higher to get more midbass impact.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2012, 09:55 pm »
Interesting observation about the sense of power or presense (if I feel you right) in the bass region.  What might that be attributed to?

The LS6's are a sealed box design, the Super V's are open baffle.

I "fiddled" early on with the plate amp controls. It seemed that I was always going backward in sound, so I left them alone other than of course volume. Maybe I need plate amp 101 to figure them out further :?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2012, 09:56 pm »
Michael.

Do you have any specific examples of songs/music that you thought were lacking in mid bass, or do you know the specific frequency range involved? - Knowing this might give you an idea of which way to go (my guess would be a couple of servo subs in the "swarm" configuration would be your best bet)

Kind of interesting though. I'm thinking of going from my LS-6'es to Super V's - well adding them really. Would listen to most 2 channel on the Super V's and HT on the LS-6'es.

I even convinced Anne to fly out to Denver for the Sunday of RMAF to give them a listen.

(sure hope Danny brings 'em again  :slap:)

:green:

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2012, 10:43 pm »
(sure hope Danny brings 'em again  :slap:)

Me too!

You can mark the current settings with blue tape and pencil so you can fiddle. You probably already have the crossover frequency knob cranked high as possible? And sub lowpass filter switch set to 80Hz/24?

See Danny's description of the plate amp controls on his website.
http://gr-research.com/a370peq.aspx

Don't forget about speaker positioning. A small move can make a big difference. It takes a while to find a great position.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2012, 10:45 pm »
Michael HIFI, I own CLS 9's, they have multiple ports and I believe the LS 6's have multiple ports as well (you mentioned sealed box so I was confused).  This is one reason why the bass goes so low.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2012, 11:20 pm »
I'll ride with you Michael.  I have never heard a bass line like the OB subs in the Super V's.  They are incredibly articulate. 

1) Maybe you just need more of the OB subs with higher powered amplifiers to get the output you crave. 
2) Could there be some sort of back reflected wave or phase problem reducing/canceling the output volume?
3) I'll borrow a truck and bring you down my LS6 for you to live with for a month and I'll take home the Super V's.   

I would have a better understanding of your problem. 

« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2012, 01:07 am by Cheeseboy »

morganc

« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2012, 02:24 am »
I'll ride with you Michael.  I have never heard a bass line like the OB subs in the Super V's.  They are incredibly articulate. 

1) Maybe you just need more of the OB subs with higher powered amplifiers to get the output you crave. 
2) Could there be some sort of back reflected wave or phase problem reducing/canceling the output volume?
3) I'll borrow a truck and bring you down my LS6 for you to live with for a month and I'll take home the Super V's.   

I would have a better understanding of your problem.

Hahahahahahaha.   ROFlMAO!   

Michael, Good God man.   Your system is the best that I and every other person who has walked through your door that I have spoken with has ever heard! 

Having said that, could you improve it?  Why not?  Want my opinion?   I'll agree with Steve, I would need a solid 6 months in my space to research properly!   

SoCalWJS

« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2012, 03:21 am »

Hahahahahahaha.   ROFlMAO!   

Michael, Good God man.  Your system is the best that I and every other person who has walked through your door that I have spoken with has ever heard!  Having said that, could you improve it?  Why not?  Want my opinion?   I'll agree with Steve, I would need a solid 6 months in my space to research properly!

Well then, you guys just need to get out more!  :green:

j/k :lol:

I know that I think very highly of the Super-V's and am fairly confident that you need to spend waaaaaaaaaay more to clearly better them.

Michael - make some adjustments! Fine tune them - I think it takes an awful lot of money to get something that is definitely better.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2012, 04:08 am »
Yes, get three more servo 12s per channel and run them on another servo amp......five 12s per channel will make your pant legs flap! You would need bass room correction at that point.....you would start to excite room nodes......but with proper eq. 5 woofs per channel would be absolutely killer.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #12 on: 23 Aug 2012, 03:00 pm »
Michael HIFI, I own CLS 9's, they have multiple ports and I believe the LS 6's have multiple ports as well (you mentioned sealed box so I was confused).  This is one reason why the bass goes so low.

That's right PTB, the 6's are ported, my bad.  :oops:

I guess I should check in at the Rythmic circle?

Steve - I might take you up on that offer but you might not give my V's back!

Morgan - Make sure the home you choose is V friendly. Both you and Scott need a change of indoor scenery! Your neighbors simply don't appreciate performance audio. Maybe you don't invite them over enough  :lol:

That's the ticket SoCal, own both the LS6 and the Super V's!

Craig, another audio guy has a Yamamoto amp to try on the V's. He's the gentleman who owns the nCores that he graciously loaned me. He's very local, like a few blocks away. There will be some equipment swapping me thinks.  :thumb: He was really digging the system. Maybe blown away  :green: Danny really did a good job with these things.

I need some folks over for another listen. Perhaps tonight, tomorrow or Saturday. Lets party  :banana piano:
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2012, 02:34 pm by MichaelHiFi »

Jerrin

« Reply #13 on: 23 Aug 2012, 04:04 pm »
M,

The answer to your question lays with LS9. :)

I agree.     

M, before making any decisions, you should really listen to a pair of 9's.  To me they are even better than the 6's.   I can believe that the Vs can hang (possibly slightly better in some ways) with the 6's.   I would not believe that to be so with the 9's.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #14 on: 23 Aug 2012, 04:11 pm »
The 9's are better than the 6's.  I've heard them back to back in Danny's living room.  Just a bit stronger bass, a bit more clarityof mids.  However, the V's have better bass below 30 hz and maybe cleaner below 40.  You also don't fight the room nearly as much.  The primary things that the 9s bring that the V's don't match are dynamics and orchestra hall ambience. 
Scott

Cheeseboy

« Reply #15 on: 23 Aug 2012, 04:22 pm »
Your lovely wife may not give the LS6 back.  In risk there is big reward!

Seriously, I think you have a huge winner in the system you have right now.  The low output bass level may be a simple wave cancelation issue.  It really could be resolved by moving the speakers a little further back into the room.  Most people on this forum will work very hard to achieve the type of system synergy that you have going today.  I really like the way everything sounds at your house right now. 

Or maybe we are onto something here.  Audio Swap!  It would make for a great reality TV Show. 

Booze Broads and Bass.  The Trifecta of high TV ratings.  Sorry can't be there Sat.  Midbass slam improvements are always needed and red wine pouring seems to clear them up but Americas Cup is in town.  Anyone up for watching the boys and thier bazillion dollar toys race at the SF city front?  Plenty of heavy wet wind and menacing tidal currents in the bay and under the GG bridge make for good fun on a sailboat. 

Welcome home Americas Cup!

richidoo

« Reply #16 on: 23 Aug 2012, 04:41 pm »
Welcome home Americas Cup!

Indeed! It's my fav sport. I'm watching the stream, each day this week, 2pm PDT
https://www.youtube.com/user/AmericasCup/feed

Jerrin

« Reply #17 on: 23 Aug 2012, 05:16 pm »
The primary things that the 9s bring that the V's don't match are dynamics and orchestra hall ambience. 
Scott

You forgot speed and clarity.   Especially for the highs and mids.   

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 23 Aug 2012, 05:16 pm »
The difference is how they load the room. That's what you are hearing or remember about the LS-6's that is different from the Super-V.

If you really want to freak out and have a bottom end foundation like you have never heard, you can take it up another notch. You can set a pair of sealed box servo subs in the back corners of your room running out of phase from the Super-V's. That will give you some incredible foundation while still not loading the room. In fact the room will be less loaded and more evenly balanced.

LarryB

« Reply #19 on: 23 Aug 2012, 06:10 pm »
Danny:

What exactly do you mean when you say "load the room?"

Thanks,

Larry