Super V bridge to LS6's?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Re: Super V bridge to LS6's?
« Reply #20 on: 23 Aug 2012, 06:49 pm »
+1.
You forgot speed and clarity.   Especially for the highs and mids.   

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 23 Aug 2012, 06:58 pm »
Danny:

What exactly do you mean when you say "load the room?"

Thanks,

Larry

The LS-6 and LS-9 create a cylindrical wave form that can put a lot of pressure into the room and can create a wide range of standing waves. Increases from such room gain are common. So both speakers have a bass management circuit that can be adjusted by the customer to minimize the output in the lower region to help balance out room gains.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #22 on: 23 Aug 2012, 07:06 pm »
If anyone would have the answer it would be Danny.  That is a solution that could work really well for the Super V! 

Danny for those of us with the LS products looking to get the detail in the low low registers we are missing would we go open baffle or boxed servo bass.  To ask another way would the open baffle servo bass be overpowered by the LS Bass and the detail lost?  So Boxed Servo Bass would be best?  or would one use the built in crossover on the LS when using a servo sub and the Open Baffle style would be best?

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 23 Aug 2012, 07:15 pm »
If anyone would have the answer it would be Danny.  That is a solution that could work really well for the Super V! 

Danny for those of us with the LS products looking to get the detail in the low low registers we are missing would we go open baffle or boxed servo bass.  To ask another way would the open baffle servo bass be overpowered by the LS Bass and the detail lost?  So Boxed Servo Bass would be best?  or would one use the built in crossover on the LS when using a servo sub and the Open Baffle style would be best?

If you have LS-6's or LS-9's and they do load you room in such a way that it is masking resolution in the lower ranges then you can implement the same thing I just suggested to Michael and his Super-V's.

You can set a pair of servo subs in the back corners of the room and run them out of phase from your main speakers. This will even out the room loading and take away the boominess in those lower ranges.

It is the same basic thing as the popular swarm type subwoofer set up.

srclose

« Reply #24 on: 23 Aug 2012, 07:21 pm »
What specific sub would work well with the SuperVs?

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 23 Aug 2012, 07:28 pm »
What specific sub would work well with the SuperVs?

For the back of the room we use the SW-12-04 servo subs in 1.5 cubic foot sealed boxes.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #26 on: 23 Aug 2012, 08:51 pm »
Thank you Danny!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #27 on: 23 Aug 2012, 09:07 pm »
Indeed! It's my fav sport. I'm watching the stream, each day this week, 2pm PDT
https://www.youtube.com/user/AmericasCup/feed

We are trying to get on a boat to watch from the water on saturday.  We'll be flying the Corinthian Yacht Club colors.  Worst case I'll be the guy in the Puma/Oracle Number 5 sweatshirt screaming at the top of my lungs.  "Trim,Trim,Trim ya waleyed lubber" from the bleachers yelling at my iPad watching the stream.  Oh well it keeps me out of the pubs.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #28 on: 23 Aug 2012, 09:27 pm »
For the heck of it I placed my HT subs in the back corners of my "V" room a couple of months ago. Each has a dual 12" Dayton, powered, in a sealed cabinet. After a bit of work with REW, I have a very nice result. In my case the volume of the rear subs is a lot lower than the servos. When I get my HT up and running in the new house I'll need the subs back, but I'll replace them with a couple of Dannys offerings then. I really like the results.

soundofrockets

« Reply #29 on: 23 Aug 2012, 09:29 pm »
we can compare the performance of the 9s at my place with various equipment.  we can have a small number of people for a little gtg !! what do you say steve ?

Cheeseboy

« Reply #30 on: 23 Aug 2012, 11:07 pm »
I'm in.  Michael, his gracious wife and Morgan do need to hear your system.  We could get some airfare coupons for SoCal.  They will get a picture of what LS9's can sound like in a perfect room with a Meaning of Life (MOL) system.  If there was anyone that could advise you on going to tubes and giving up the solid state bug it would be these guys.  They have forgotton more than I will ever know about tube amps. 

It's time for me to get a LS9 fix.  I'll bring my Dodd Battery pre.  I know you would like it.

I have never been in a better room than yours Sunil.  An invitation from you is like gold.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #31 on: 24 Aug 2012, 12:06 am »
A little GTG would be a good idea if you could do some gear swapping and get a comparison between the different speakers. I can imagine swapping out sources, preamps, and even some of those big amps, but......

The real test is swapping out speakers, and at the size/weight of these behemoths - (eeek emoticon)

I think Steve should load up his 6'es, Michael can see what a different room does for his Super V's, and I'll bring some wine.  :icon_twisted:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #32 on: 24 Aug 2012, 01:14 am »
Me too!

You can mark the current settings with blue tape and pencil so you can fiddle. You probably already have the crossover frequency knob cranked high as possible? And sub lowpass filter switch set to 80Hz/24?

See Danny's description of the plate amp controls on his website.
http://gr-research.com/a370peq.aspx

Don't forget about speaker positioning. A small move can make a big difference. It takes a while to find a great position.

:dunno:

.... he hasn't risen to the bait....
 :shake:

richidoo

« Reply #33 on: 24 Aug 2012, 01:22 am »
.... he hasn't risen to the bait....

Probably has something even better cooking for RMAF.  :thumb:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #34 on: 24 Aug 2012, 01:31 am »
Probably has something even better cooking for RMAF.  :thumb:
(hey moderators - we need more emoticons!)

(insert emoticon of my money flying out the window)

Last I heard the X-Otica was not exactly going to be in the budget line......but if it's even better than the Super-V's......

:banana piano: :beer: :bounce: :dance:

richidoo

« Reply #35 on: 24 Aug 2012, 02:09 am »
I just searched AC to bring myself up to speed on this X-Otica design. Sounds very cool! 

Cheeseboy

« Reply #36 on: 24 Aug 2012, 03:05 am »
A little GTG would be a good idea if you could do some gear swapping and get a comparison between the different speakers. I can imagine swapping out sources, preamps, and even some of those big amps, but......

The real test is swapping out speakers, and at the size/weight of these behemoths - (eeek emoticon)

I think Steve should load up his 6'es, Michael can see what a different room does for his Super V's, and I'll bring some wine.  :icon_twisted:

You really want to hear Sunil's(Soundofrockets) LS9 room.  You met him at Michaels original GTG.  Who are we waiting for?

morganc

« Reply #37 on: 24 Aug 2012, 03:59 am »
I'm in :thumb:   I actually prefer a gtg to be all about hearing the great system synergy that someone has put together.....and of course throwing in an extra $15,000 pair of monoblocks or two :thumb:   (Maybe Michael will pull another rabbit out of his hat!).

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #38 on: 24 Aug 2012, 04:17 am »
Is this gtg going to be NoCal or SoCal?

soundofrockets

« Reply #39 on: 24 Aug 2012, 06:18 am »
well if everything works out fine we can meet up sometime in late september or october.  that would in northern california !!