Need some help - LS9s, and matching Center/Surrounds -- Danny/Ruben ????

cobramatteo

Hello All, I am new to the forum, but have long been a huge home audio fanatic. Currently working overseas in Afghanistan for the military as a civilian, been online a lot and have decided I must have a set of LS9s, the LS center channel [Ruben's setup], and some surrounds that could be matched to the LS9s. I am a big fan so far of Audio Circle, and will be spending much more time reading old threads on here as time permits.

Angel City offers the LS9s, but currently only have them in rosewood, piano and birds eye. I am looking for a lighter color like birds eye, without the 3000.00 dollar up-charge over satin rosewood. Just a plain light maple with some shine would do, and would be great to have matching finishes on all enclosures.

Ruben, I know you do amazing cabinet work, but will you build complete speakers or just the enclosures ? [I sent you a PM about having some LS9s built]. Would this be a situation where you build the cabs and Danny or Angel city completes them ? Would prefer a turnkey solution if possible.

I see the ongoing progress you made on the LS center, exactly what I am looking for BTW. [count me in for 1] Would you be up for building a dedicated voice matched surround set as well ? Something a little smaller than the LS6 ?

Danny I can see you create awesome speaker designs and kits from what I have read online. Any input you have is much appreciated. This setup would be my dream home theater/2 channel rig.

There is no big hurry, my job will keep me busy for the next 6-12 months, but I would like to get the ball rolling now - so when I do get home, these monsters will be greeting me.

If anyone here has a set of clean, used LS9s or LS6s for sale, I may be interested in getting them matching siblings built through Ruben and Danny as well. Just not a big fan of the rosewood, wanna go with a lighter more contemporary look.

Thanks ahead of time for any help on this project I can get !

V/R

Matt

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
I have a  clean pair in light Palisander.  I've got some photos in my Gallery.  I hadn't really thought about selling them, but...

Scott

PDR

• May the best man win
  I hadn't really thought about selling them, but...
Scott

Whoa, Mr Clark... :o... never thought I'd see those words here....Your a lucky man to live with the 9s.....Super Vs on the horizon maybe?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Whoa, Mr Clark... :o... never thought I'd see those words here....Your a lucky man to live with the 9s.....Super Vs on the horizon maybe?
I only said that I'd think about it.  Mine may not be what CobraM is looking for, and if they are, we may not be thinking of the same prices, but if we are we'd still have to work out shipping..... and if all those if's work out, THEN I'd reaally have to see if I wanted to make that sideways move to the SuperV's.There is no doubt that Danny has made real improvements in the V series since listening to his prototype in his living room several years back. So for sure, the SuperV's would be a real option.  I'm certainly not actively looking to sell these big guys unless all things line up perfectly.

Jerrin

If you are looking for side surrounds and have the room, then I recommend more LS9s.  That's what I did. 

I use a pair of 6's as rear surrounds as they are not used that much in movies.

If you are looking for something smaller, the N3-TL work well.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
It also depends on how large your room is.

Big speakers in less than adequate room (size wise) is not a good thing. :)

HT cOz

I think the AV1-RS is the best GR Surround for 90% of the people. Check out the original thread that Danny posted for the AV1-RS, you can tell that he was reaaly proud of that creation. Also notice how he has never created another surround. I think that is because the original is so good that there is not any reason to try.

He was once asked about a Neo surround and he basically said the soft dome will work better in the surround because it has better vertical response.

I've never had a room big enough to do a regular speaker. They are so close that I find them annoying/painful. I like the omni surround. Hopefully someday I can upgrade as mine are mirages.

Good Luck and thanks for your service!

Robert

cobramatteo

So, can somebody ask Ruben to get with me about getting some LS9s built. Or should I be talking to Danny ?

THANKS !

Matt

Danny Richie

So, can somebody ask Ruben to get with me about getting some LS9s built. Or should I be talking to Danny ?

THANKS !

Matt

I'll forward Ruben a link to this thread. He'll be the one to build you enclosures.

Also, I think Hugh has some assembled pairs for sale.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
Hi Matt,

I apologize for the wait...

Ruben, I know you do amazing cabinet work, but will you build complete speakers or just the enclosures ? [I sent you a PM about having some LS9s built].

Thank You, Sir!

I offer flat packs to complete speakers and anything in between. :thumb:

I will respond to your PM in detail tomorrow.

I see the ongoing progress you made on the LS center, exactly what I am looking for BTW. [count me in for 1] Would you be up for building a dedicated voice matched surround set as well ? Something a little smaller than the LS6 ?

There is (was?) another design in the works called the LS-4 might be the perfect solution. However, I'm not really sure where Danny's at with it.

Danny, anymore headway on this one?

Thanks,

Ruben

Here are few shots of another Piano BEM LS-C (sealed) that you might like. :D

wndrmke

That looks fantastic Ruben!  :drool: