Super V questions

vettett15

Super V questions
« on: 23 Feb 2012, 08:59 pm »
I've been reading up on the Super V, looks to be a very interesting design (I suppose the "closest" speaker I've heard was the Orions, which I thought were impressive).

First thing is, there seems to be different recommendations on minimum placement criteria for these...  Currently my speakers (mini statements) are ~40" from the front baffle to the front wall, the left speaker's side is ~2.5' from the side wall and they are 8-9' apart.  Assuming the front baffle on the Super V was in the same spot, does it seem like a reasonable setup for the Super V?  (not sure how wide a Super V is...).

I know the bass is supposed to be fantastic with these (I currently run my mini-statements with a rythmik 15" servo sub, so I have an idea).  But what about the mid/high resolution for these speakers?  Is it on the order of say a top Selah/Salk design (think Raal and Accuton)?

Too many good designs out there.....

Danny Richie

Re: Super V questions
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2012, 09:26 pm »
The Super-V's need to be pulled at least 3 feet out from the wall behind them just like any other open baffle design. More of coarse is better and any treatment to the wall behind them can also be very beneficial.

And yes, the bass response is the best in the industry.

I don't think you are going to feel like you are giving anything up with these speakers compared to anything. Plus you also get a lot of other great aspects that are hard to match with any other speakers too. The dynamics are top notch. Vocal range is top notch. They are easy to drive and have 97db sensitivity. They even work well in any sized room.

devste

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2012, 09:55 pm »
Hi Danny,

I just want to confirm whether you have to be at least 3 feet from the front part/baffle of the speaker or from the rear of the speaker.  I have seen both quoted.  In the future I'd like to have a pair and I need to know if they will work in my room.

Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2012, 10:05 pm »
Hi Danny,

I just want to confirm whether you have to be at least 3 feet from the front part/baffle of the speaker or from the rear of the speaker.  I have seen both quoted.  In the future I'd like to have a pair and I need to know if they will work in my room.

Thanks

3 feet from the baffle the speakers are mounted on.

vettett15

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2012, 01:30 am »
Sounds like I could make them work as I could just put the front baffle of a super v where my mini-statements are now...  How wide is this speaker?  I probably could make some more room for them seeing how I wouldn't really need my sub anymore....

Danny, how many filters can be set with the servo amp? 

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2012, 01:48 am »
Cabinet plans are here: http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/supervbox.pdf

I am not really sure what you are really asking for in that last question.

vettett15

« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2012, 02:06 am »
I thought the amp had parametric eq settings...  My terminology may be off but that is what they call them with the behringer 1124 I currently use to parametrically eq my bass.  If so, how high of frequency is it able to achieve?

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2012, 02:09 am »
I thought the amp had parametric eq settings...  My terminology may be off but that is what they call them with the behringer 1124 I currently use to parametrically eq my bass.  If so, how high of frequency is it able to achieve?

See this info on the amp: http://gr-research.com/a370peq.aspx

vettett15

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2012, 02:56 am »
Danny, one more question then I promise to leave you alone.  On my rythmik 15 amp Brian told me that if you use the left and right inputs your get +6db gain, is this true on this amp too?

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2012, 03:10 am »
Not Danny, but the line level inputs are wired up the same way as the amp in your current sub.  I've had the A370PEQ in a pre-built sub using Danny's paper cone driver from Rythmik and H600s in my current duals, and both work the same way.

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2012, 03:43 am »
Danny, one more question then I promise to leave you alone.  On my rythmik 15 amp Brian told me that if you use the left and right inputs your get +6db gain, is this true on this amp too?

The inputs are independent of one another. So if you plug an RCA into both of them then it doubles the input sensitivity. So at the same setting it would be 6db louder using both left and right inputs.