LS-6 Crossover/Bass Mgmt Setting

pmctexas

LS-6 Crossover/Bass Mgmt Setting
« on: 22 Jan 2012, 08:14 pm »
For those that have LS-6 with the bass management settings on the inside rear door - Please remind me - Which position does the plug go into to max bass output ? I've moved mine around and didn't hear much difference in the various positions...

Thanks

Danny Richie

Re: LS-6 Crossover/Bass Mgmt Setting
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2012, 05:54 pm »
The further you move the pig tail away from the binding posts the more you are reducing the bass output centering in the 70Hz range, and it creates a first order roll off in each direction. So controls a bit of a broad range but doesn't really get up into the mid range or effect much below 30Hz.

If you have a real room suck out in that region, and really need more bottom end in that range, then you can just unplug the bass management system and you will have no bass attenuation at all. That will give you a lot of bass.

pmctexas

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2012, 06:31 pm »
Thanks Danny

SoCalWJS

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2012, 08:46 pm »
The further you move the pig tail away from the binding posts the more you are reducing the bass output centering in the 70Hz range, and it creates a first order roll off in each direction. So controls a bit of a broad range but doesn't really get up into the mid range or effect much below 30Hz.

If you have a real room suck out in that region, and really need more bottom end in that range, then you can just unplug the bass management system and you will have no bass attenuation at all. That will give you a lot of bass.

Re-reading through a bunch of the LS 6/9 threads as I try to work through my bass issues. If I'm reading this correctly, I can completely unplug the bass management system?
If that is the case, are there any safeguards one should take, like covering the plug with electrical tape or something?
Also, I'm thinking about the Electra Tubes - looks like a pretty straight forward install - anybody done that install care to comment?

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2012, 02:30 am »
If I'm reading this correctly, I can completely unplug the bass management system?

Yes you can.

If that is the case, are there any safeguards one should take, like covering the plug with electrical tape or something?

Nope, just leave it unplugged. No worries. 

Also, I'm thinking about the Electra Tubes - looks like a pretty straight forward install - anybody done that install care to comment?

Easy upgrade.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2012, 03:18 am »
Yes you can.

Nope, just leave it unplugged. No worries. 

Easy upgrade.
Thanks Danny.

Do you sell the Electra? - couldn't find on your site, and Ninja only lists other Electra stuff.

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2012, 03:21 am »
Thanks Danny.

Do you sell the Electra? - couldn't find on your site, and Ninja only lists other Electra stuff.

Yeah, I have them in stock.

gotchaforce

« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2012, 05:47 am »
Danny do you happen have a model of anechoic FR of an LS-6 and how it would be affected by each bass management resistor?

Or a better analogy? im struggling to understand

like with a parametric EQ would it be centered on 70hz and then have -1 thru -5 db with a Q of 1?

You say first order roll off which is 6db slope correct? but then what happens when you move the pig tail around.. whats changing. The slope?

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2012, 03:09 pm »
Danny do you happen have a model of anechoic FR of an LS-6 and how it would be affected by each bass management resistor?

No, I don't have my large anechoic chamber any more. So measuring to that low of a level on a speaker that large without room interaction is not possible.

Or a better analogy? im struggling to understand

like with a parametric EQ would it be centered on 70hz and then have -1 thru -5 db with a Q of 1?

You say first order roll off which is 6db slope correct? but then what happens when you move the pig tail around.. whats changing. The slope?

It is an LCR network shunt to ground after the woofer network. The trap area is centered at 70Hz. This is a typical range where a lot of unwanted room gain can take place with a speaker this large. The adjustments vary the resistive load across the circuit. More resistance means the LCR circuit is less reactive and the bass is effected less. Less resistance means a more reactive circuit allowing more power to return back to the amp verses passing to the speakers. So bass output is lessened.

The circuit centered at 70Hz has a first order slope in each direction regardless of resistance level.

LS-6 impedance curve showing adjustment:

LS-9 showing the same:

This curve shows only 3 adjustments levels on the LS-9, but there are 4 levels on the board.

And of coarse it can be unplugged on both speakers allowing no bass attenuation.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2012, 04:35 pm »
Yeah, I have them in stock.
I would like to order some - should I contact you via email or they on your website somewhere?

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2012, 06:17 pm »
I would like to order some - should I contact you via email or they on your website somewhere?

You can shot me an e-mail or give me a call to order them.