Baffle round over question..

rtate

Baffle round over question..
« on: 30 Dec 2011, 01:09 am »
If we are supposed to use a 3/8 roundover for 3/4" material...
Should I use a 1/2" round over for 1" baffles ?? :scratch:

gijogeo

Re: Baffle round over question..
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2011, 01:15 am »
Even I'd like an answer to that. I'm currently assembling an LS-C and would like to know the round off required for the inside edges of the driver holes on the front baffle which is 1.5" thick (2 X 3/4" panels)

Æ

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2011, 01:38 am »
Even I'd like an answer to that. I'm currently assembling an LS-C and would like to know the round off required for the inside edges of the driver holes on the front baffle which is 1.5" thick (2 X 3/4" panels)

Hope this will help, picture is self explanatory.

rtate

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2011, 02:22 am »
The picture makes sense but I'm still not sure of the amount of material to take off..
Should I be cutting at a 45 deg. angle or will a 1/2 inch round over suffice ?

gijogeo

« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2011, 02:36 am »
Thanks AE. I get the general idea. In the diagram its a straight cut but I guess a round over is just as good. Not a pro with wood work but I think routing may be easier than a 45 deg cut as shown.
Is there any detail as to the dimensions from the driver rim to the inside edge of the baffle where it tapers off towards the driver? Or are exact dimensions no big deal?

The picture makes sense but I'm still not sure of the amount of material to take off..
Should I be cutting at a 45 deg. angle or will a 1/2 inch round over suffice ?

Just to get my facts straight is the 1/2" the length of the curve?

Æ

« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2011, 04:28 am »
Thanks AE. I get the general idea. In the diagram its a straight cut but I guess a round over is just as good. Not a pro with wood work but I think routing may be easier than a 45 deg cut as shown.
Is there any detail as to the dimensions from the driver rim to the inside edge of the baffle where it tapers off towards the driver? Or are exact dimensions no big deal?

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2011, 07:22 pm »
Great post AE.

The thicker the material is the thicker the round over needs to be. And a 45 degree cut works fine too.

I can't over emphasize enough how important this is and how adversely it can effect the response if not done. 

rtate

« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2011, 09:14 pm »
I cut my 1" baffles with a 45 deg. bit and 1/2 inch depth ...
I could go deeper but I want to make sure there is enough material for the screws to get a good hold...
Do you think that will work ok??

Æ

« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2011, 09:29 pm »
I cut my 1" baffles with a 45 deg. bit and 1/2 inch depth ...
I could go deeper but I want to make sure there is enough material for the screws to get a good hold...
Do you think that will work ok??

If you are worried that there isn't enough baffle thickness for the screws to hold on to, you could always glue on additional small pieces of wood right in back where the screws come through the baffle. Hardwoods seem to grab and hold wood screws better than MDF.

Another alternative would be to use T-nuts or Hurricane nuts and of course machine screws.

gijogeo

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2011, 12:30 pm »
Thanks AE. Got this. :thumb:

It's got a 1" radius so should be fine for a 1.5" thick baffle.
Will post results in a few days.

Nick77

« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2011, 01:12 pm »
I just used a 3/4 " radius on my 1.25 baffle and it took off a lot of material. That 1" should do a great job.  :wink: