Hobbs NX-Studio Build

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Hobbs NX-Studio Build
« Reply #360 on: 5 Mar 2024, 01:28 am »
I've been traveling down this same capacitor rabbit whole. Where is the sweet spot for the relatively inexpensive capacitors and the higher end bypass caps? I know Danny likes the Sonicaps bypassed by the Miflex caps, but is there an even better combination in a similar price point?

For the budget-friendly route, it's a hard combo to beat, the Duelund JDM-Cu and CAST-PIO Pure Copper caps are great alternatives, and some people really like the 0.01uF Duelund JDM silver bypass caps as well. (Silver is a touch too edgy for my tastes) I'd imagine that you could do the same with some nicer Clarity Caps or Jantzen Superior Z-caps paired with Miflex or Duelund caps if you have preferences for a different main cap.

Currently we're unable to get Miflex caps or Gen 3 Sonicaps, so we've switched to the budget JB JPX bypass which are really close to the old Gen 2 and newer Gen 3 Sonicaps, though they lack the touch of warmth/richness the Miflex caps add.

JustPlainNuts

« Reply #361 on: 6 Mar 2024, 11:36 pm »
I'm interested to hear if anyone here has played around with the Cornell Dubilier 940C 600VDC capacitor? I've read good things about it and it seems to be a very good value pricewise. Anyone?

Bigtodd731

« Reply #362 on: 8 Mar 2024, 05:35 pm »
Newbie Here.

I am trying to build a Home Theatre / Reference level listening room.  My room is 17x22 with 10ft ceiling, now wall treatment.  Door in corner with fireplace on one wall makes speaker placement difficult and distance from wall for front mains 36" max.

I consider myself lucky to have found and built a pair of the Desktop Mini speakers as an intro to GR Research and immediately fell down the DIY proverbial rabbit hole. 

I feel that the NX Studio is quickly stacking up to be my next GR purchase and to simply transition from the  Desktop Mini straight to the top-line NX Series with the Neo 3 Tweeter that is so highly regarded.

I have a powered 10" ported subwoofer that I hope to upgrade in the future, but I have a low end.

One thing I need from the group...confidence that the NX Studio with Foil upgrade will not leave me wanting in mid/low bass before handing off to subwoofer.

-Todd

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #363 on: 8 Mar 2024, 08:55 pm »
Hi Todd,

The natural -3dB roll off point of the Studios is ~70Hz, and your 10" sub will have no issues playing up more than high enough to cross to the subs with the crossover set around 50Hz
In fact, the bass will be about as deep as the Desktop mini as both are sealed designs, but the Studio woofer is faster and more detailed than the Mini's woofers are.

So on their own, they wont have much bass down low, but with the sub, that won't be an issue at all.

Bigtodd731

« Reply #364 on: 8 Mar 2024, 09:52 pm »
More background, I am running what I referred to as mid-level some years ago for home theatre, streaming DTS Play-Fi, and for  room correction; Onkyo TXNR-6100 7.2 Receiver

If I turn the sub off or down, I am a little discouraged to hear the bass response will be equivalent between the Desktop Mini and NX Studio.  Are the Desktop Mini's (with sonicap upgrade) and my 10" subwoofer considered that good!!? 

Have I have not appreciated the Destop Mini's enough? 
Or have I possibly put too much weight into thinking the Neo 3 will change my listening life coming from the Desktop Mini?

So then without listening to a video by Danny or New Record Day describing Neo3 Tweeter's praises in the NX offerings, how would you express a comparison of the NX Studio to the Desktop Mini in regard to clarity and soundstage assuming 1) both close to wall and 2) both 3ft from wall?

Many Many Many Thanks
Todd

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #365 on: 8 Mar 2024, 11:21 pm »
NX Studio is the best imaging bookshelf speaker in the world, at least in my experience.  Go for it.

Bigtodd731

« Reply #366 on: 9 Mar 2024, 12:26 am »
Many of you are probably questioning, "did he just ask to compare the nx studio to the desktop mini, huh,what? And, how dare he.  :o

Know that I'm coming from the angle of...maybe the desktop minis are higher on the food chain than I thought! I knew it was a loss leader for Danny but dang, maybe I shouldn't judge a book by its cover. I admit the mini's can take some power at 100w per ch right now and can rock in fact.

I can always look forward though and the Minis have me wanting to push the envelope as far as my wallet can take knowing what else is out there at gr research.

Really appreciate the community here.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #367 on: 9 Mar 2024, 01:16 am »
More background, I am running what I referred to as mid-level some years ago for home theatre, streaming DTS Play-Fi, and for  room correction; Onkyo TXNR-6100 7.2 Receiver

If I turn the sub off or down, I am a little discouraged to hear the bass response will be equivalent between the Desktop Mini and NX Studio.  Are the Desktop Mini's (with sonicap upgrade) and my 10" subwoofer considered that good!!? 

Have I have not appreciated the Destop Mini's enough? 
Or have I possibly put too much weight into thinking the Neo 3 will change my listening life coming from the Desktop Mini?

So then without listening to a video by Danny or New Record Day describing Neo3 Tweeter's praises in the NX offerings, how would you express a comparison of the NX Studio to the Desktop Mini in regard to clarity and soundstage assuming 1) both close to wall and 2) both 3ft from wall?

Many Many Many Thanks
Todd

In terms of bass extension they will be very similar, they are both sealed speakers.
They were both designed to be used near/against walls, so they will have a similar roll off point.
They weren't designed to play low, dig deep, drop bombs. etc. without a separate subwoofer to take over the bottom end.
However, that is really where the similarities end.

If you want a speaker that is better than the mini and offers deeper bass extension, then you will want either a ported speaker, (like the X-Bravo or X-LS Encore) or a sealed design with a larger woofer. (The Brute or Bully) Any of those options will provide a very nice boost in clarity, detail and soundstage performance over the Mini, on top of offering deeper bass extension.

As I mentioned, the woofer on the NX-Studio, uses a lighter and faster and overall better quality woofer than the one used in the Mini.
So while it won't play any lower, it's provides a more natural, detailed and textured sound by comparison, throughout the mid bass all the way up through the midrange.
Then the Neo3 tweeter will easily outperform the metal dome of the Mini for all of the same reasons, the diaphragm is extremely light weight, and the push-pull motor structure makes it incredibly fast and dynamic, providing a lot more resolution and clarity to the treble that is difficult for most any traditional tweeter to compete with, especially a budget metal dome.
Plus, keeping the tweeter open-backed gives it a much more open and layered soundstage than any traditional box speaker can offer.

The Mini's are very good in their own right, especially in the nearfield, but they will fall short when compared to even the Encore or Bravos for a lot of the same reasons, the better quality drivers play a big part in providing that much more refinement and texture than the mini.
The NX-Studio pushes it even further, giving up bass extension for a more tighter, more detailed presentation, using a sub to control the low-end.
Plus, keeping the tweeter open-backed gives it a much more open and layered sound than any traditional box speaker.

Hafgrim

« Reply #368 on: 20 Mar 2024, 01:30 pm »
the NXstudio are power limited, using them in a home theater wouldn't be a great idea unless you can roll of the lows on it.

Bigtodd731

« Reply #369 on: 20 Mar 2024, 06:04 pm »
I had a tough decision to make:

1) Modify the XCS Bravo MTM to be a transmission line tower and build the tower

2) NX Studio to the moon

While I was really excited about building the transmission line enclosure myself and having that punchy bass response paying homage to my bass loving younger days...... I could not stop thinking what the soundstage of the Neo 3 tweeter would be like. 

In a moment of clarity, I added the NX Studio model to cart.  This close to 10, I needed to go to 11, my thoughts were racing, I upgraded to Foil Inductors and then everything went blank. 

I awoke the next day with Duelund JDM CU bypass caps and Mills resistors on the Visa.   

:o

Bigtodd731

« Reply #370 on: 20 Mar 2024, 06:15 pm »
With the sub playing up a little higher Hz than before, the current Desktop Minis roll off around 70hz with Onkyo Integrated Amp internal crossover.  So hoping to do the same with the NX Studios.  The Minis were an intro to DIY world for me.  When purchasing the Minis, it was for a significantly smaller room.  I moved houses and the room is about three times the size now and Minis are just "distant sounding" and cannot project the way they did in a much smaller room.  Understanding the Minis are better for nearfield desktop and small room applications, I am not surprised. 

I am looking forward to the benefits of the neo tweeter and open baffle, both of which will be new to my ears.

I received the NX Studio kit and upgrades and am in process of assembling crossovers.  This build thread has been immensely helpful!!

Tyson

« Reply #371 on: 20 Mar 2024, 06:22 pm »
With the sub playing up a little higher Hz than before, the current Desktop Minis roll off around 70hz with Onkyo Integrated Amp internal crossover.  So hoping to do the same with the NX Studios.  The Minis were an intro to DIY world for me.  When purchasing the Minis, it was for a significantly smaller room.  I moved houses and the room is about three times the size now and Minis are just "distant sounding" and cannot project the way they did in a much smaller room.  Understanding the Minis are better for nearfield desktop and small room applications, I am not surprised. 

I am looking forward to the benefits of the neo tweeter and open baffle, both of which will be new to my ears.

I received the NX Studio kit and upgrades and am in process of assembling crossovers.  This build thread has been immensely helpful!!

In addition, the midrange driver on the Studio's is a substantial step up, too.  Here's the technical details:

https://gr-research.com/product/m-165nq/

Bigtodd731

« Reply #372 on: 20 Mar 2024, 06:43 pm »
Can anyone recommend a cheap or sub $100 amp or honestly any other setup to do the 400+ hour burn in for the Duelund caps.  Basically 2.5 weeks power-on non stop with 22 hours on, 2 hours off per day.  I don't want to subject any of my everyday equipment to that torture.

Thanks

mkrawcz

« Reply #373 on: 20 Mar 2024, 07:22 pm »
Can anyone recommend a cheap or sub $100 amp or honestly any other setup to do the 400+ hour burn in for the Duelund caps.  Basically 2.5 weeks power-on non stop with 22 hours on, 2 hours off per day.  I don't want to subject any of my everyday equipment to that torture.

Thanks
Aiyima A07 max on Amazon.

Early B.

« Reply #374 on: 20 Mar 2024, 07:30 pm »

Don't waste money. Just burn in with your current solid-state gear. If you had expensive tubes in your setup, investing in a cheap would make more sense.

Tyson

« Reply #375 on: 20 Mar 2024, 08:00 pm »
Agreed with Early B, just use whatever SS gear you already have, it can certainly handle it.

mick wolfe

« Reply #376 on: 20 Mar 2024, 09:44 pm »
When I first built the GR NX Monitors, I proceeded to break them in with a little FOSI amp. (not even the V3 or ZA3) After about of that week of that silliness, I just hooked them up to the main system.  Bottom line, I never heard anything that wasn't listenable from day 1 break-in.  Like has already been said, unless there's a tube component in the chain and you're worried about tube life, I would run them in using your main system. Enjoy the transition. I found it to be pretty painless.