Driver in a Line Array

tubesaab

Re: Driver in a Line Array
« Reply #20 on: 17 Nov 2012, 04:45 pm »
This is just a technical question
Is there a reason why the woofer do not have there own enclosure (kabinet )

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 17 Nov 2012, 04:55 pm »
This is just a technical question
Is there a reason why the woofer do not have there own enclosure (kabinet )

They are all playing the same frequency range so there is really no need. Individual air spaces would just make the enclosure bigger.

tubesaab

« Reply #22 on: 17 Nov 2012, 06:29 pm »
More question
have i right,,the enclossure mess is in us inches--have you mess in  mm or cm,,,not so importen,if the mess convert is ok (1us inches is 2.54mm)

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #23 on: 19 Nov 2012, 07:10 pm »
tubesaab, here is a great conversion program - I keep it on my desktop - very handy:
http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/

mojave

« Reply #24 on: 19 Nov 2012, 07:20 pm »
There is really no need for a conversion program if you have a browser. Google is a unit of measure conversion program, calculator, currency converter, translator, etc.

Just type 20 in in cm into Google, for example and it will give you the answer. You can type whatever you want and don't need a space between the number and unit of measure. For example, you can also type in 20in in cm, 20inches in centimeters, 20 inches in cm, etc. For miles you do have you use mi or miles since m stands for meter.

The LS-6 is 31.43 x 172.72 x 41.91 cm.

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 19 Nov 2012, 07:37 pm »
tubesaab, here is a great conversion program - I keep it on my desktop - very handy:
http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/

I use that same one all the time.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #26 on: 20 Nov 2012, 04:40 am »
What about OB line sources?  I love OB speakers and I love line source speakers, but I've never heard a full OB line source.

I did an OB line source (although it was only 4 drivers a side) back in '76 in a design I was working on. It used Philips wide range 4 1/2" drivers with whizzer cones - intended for television use, I think. They were used as midrange speakers, but with very wide bandwidth (approximately 100Hz to 5 kHz with a notch filter). I heard from them the best phantom center image I have ever heard - with my back to the speakers I could point to the singer's mouth as if he was in the room.

Unfortunately, the tonality wasn't quite right, and I could not correct it without losing that imaging capability, but correct tonality had to take precedence.

Never since have I heard such a striking image.

The subs were in the floor - IB - and crossed around 80Hz. Sounded great with ELP Tank or Lucky Man! :D

tubesaab

« Reply #27 on: 20 Nov 2012, 01:24 pm »
Thanks to all for conversion programs
just ordered the LS-9 kit

best Bjarne

persisting1

« Reply #28 on: 20 Nov 2012, 08:09 pm »
Thanks to all for conversion programs
just ordered the LS-9 kit

best Bjarne

Congratulations :thumb:

Keeps us updated with your build. 

tubesaab

« Reply #29 on: 20 Nov 2012, 08:55 pm »
Thanks
i will keep update on the build-

tubesaab

« Reply #30 on: 1 Dec 2012, 03:27 pm »
Question about the group coupling in LS-9,,,
the driver can be wired together in different ways,,,,why are they not coupled in this way:::4 groups in serial ,,,and 3 in paralleled,,,,this gives a impedans about 4ohm  (maybe play a little louder )
neo8,,,,,4 groups in seriel ...2+2+2+3 ,,,then paralleled...gives 4ohm

this is just to now the LS-9 a little better...and a explanation of why the SPL (90db )not is higher
i am 100% sure, that Danny now how the best way to do thinks--but like to now why :)

nickd

« Reply #31 on: 1 Dec 2012, 11:47 pm »
Bjarne,

If you think the LS-9 needs to play louder, you must have been a "roadie" for Van Halen in the 80's.  :drums::lol: They will loosen nails on sheetrock and damage your ears with no problem.

They are already efficient so quite a few of people think they sound best with small tube amps. I tried tubes then I tried a pair of Krell monos. The 9's like power, lots of it. It is a lot of drivers for any amp to control, regardless of rated efficiency. There is also a trap in the woofer circuit that lowers the impedance around 60 hz close to 4 ohms if I remember correctly.

Build them, put the best amps you can find on them and invite your friends over after you loosen the Neo 8's up a little.  Even the most jaded audiophile will smile in amazement. 8) They sound bigger than they are, and they are HUGE. In the right room with a reference system they may be the best you will ever hear.

tubesaab

« Reply #32 on: 1 Dec 2012, 11:57 pm »
Hello nickd
he he, :lol: it is not to get them to play Louder-it is more to now how and why they are wired as they are--i like to now whats behind the speaker :wink:
i am not afraid of the power,my amp is a Gryphon Encore,,,500w 8 ohm ,,1000w 4ohm

persisting1

« Reply #33 on: 2 Dec 2012, 11:07 pm »
Hello nickd
he he, :lol: it is not to get them to play Louder-it is more to now how and why they are wired as they are--i like to now whats behind the speaker :wink:
i am not afraid of the power,my amp is a Gryphon Encore,,,500w 8 ohm ,,1000w 4ohm

That Gryphon amp should pair really well with the LS-9.

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 3 Dec 2012, 01:10 am »
Question about the group coupling in LS-9,,,
the driver can be wired together in different ways,,,,why are they not coupled in this way:::4 groups in serial ,,,and 3 in paralleled,,,,this gives a impedans about 4ohm  (maybe play a little louder )
neo8,,,,,4 groups in seriel ...2+2+2+3 ,,,then paralleled...gives 4ohm

this is just to now the LS-9 a little better...and a explanation of why the SPL (90db )not is higher
i am 100% sure, that Danny now how the best way to do thinks--but like to now why :)

It doesn't really matter how you group the tweeters they are not going to play any louder. At least not in the top octave and everything else has to be adjusted to that level.

The woofers would play louder wired that way, but then they would be MUCH louder than the tweeters and you'd have no bass management circuit to vary the output.

They are how they have to be.

tubesaab

« Reply #35 on: 3 Dec 2012, 02:02 pm »
Thanks
now i know a good deal more about the wiring--i like to now that-

harley52

« Reply #36 on: 4 Dec 2012, 06:01 pm »
Danny
 Any opinion on the Parts xpress/Audio Artistry LS with thw 18 tweeters and 72 mid/bass units.
 Thanks for any info you can provide.
 I miss the AV123 x-omni's just for fun.

Danny Richie

« Reply #37 on: 4 Dec 2012, 06:44 pm »
Danny
 Any opinion on the Parts xpress/Audio Artistry LS with thw 18 tweeters and 72 mid/bass units.
 Thanks for any info you can provide. I miss the AV123 x-omni's just for fun.

I haven't heard it myself, but I have a group of friends with good ears that I trust who have heard it. The feedback that I got from all of them, and this was independent feedback not group feedback, was that they did indeed sound the same from almost anywhere in the room height wise. So seated or standing, or even with some moving around in the room, they sounded the same. So they do prove the concept.

But the overall sound was, as one described it "high fi" and not high end. I guess this is to be expected as the quality (or lack there of) of the drivers is not exactly top notch. The crossover point to the tweeters is also very high. So if you are used to a high resolution speaker then those things are going to be pretty disappointing.