Octal 6A upgrades and tweaks

RodB

« on: 19 Sep 2003, 08:22 pm »
Anyone mod their Octal 6A.  THinking about experimenting with new signal caps, PS caps, etc...

Any experiences, ideas,thoughts.....

Rod

amandarae

« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2003, 06:37 am »
RodB,

Yes, I upgraded mine with positive results.  Keep in mind that synergy is the key here.  E-mail me privately so I can tell you the full story of what I've tried and done.  I have so much respect for Dr. Lloyd.  I do not want to discuss it on this site because I believe it is not appropriate :nono: .

late....

DrRasta

Octal 6A SE advice from Dr. Lloyd
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2003, 04:44 am »
I wrote Dr. Lloyd about an upgrade.  This was his reply:

The Octal 6A SE has, in addition to the Auricaps, Caddock 0.75 W metal film resistors in the SRPP stage, and Riken 1W carbon composition resistors in the CF stage. Also it has Black Gate capacitors in the power supply (the 47-47-47uF filter chain is replaced by 150-22-22uF, all at 350V. The cathode bypass capacitor in the CF stage is also Black Gate. The volume control is a 32=step Noble plastic element unit. I haven't done a comparison listening test against the stock Octal 6A but I have compared the Ultra 4A preamp with Auricaps (no other premium parts) to the SOlen (stock) unit, and the soundstage and imaging (friont-to-back) are definitely enhanced. I also found that Black Gates in the power supply of the Ear+ enhanced the resollution and bass tightness. So I would estimate the SE version of the Octal 6A represents a sonic improvement iover the stock unit, vut I don't know what are the critical components. The Auricaps are certainly a big factor in soundstage and imaging. You can get all the parts for an upgrade from the Parts Connexion. I think I used 18K and 100K RIkens in place of the stock 20K and 110K resistors. I will attach the schematic.

Good luck if you plan to continue your upgrade--if you have any problems, let me know. One other thing--if you have a mechanical buzz from the transformers, I suggest while you are replacing the power supply filters, you remove the screws threaded into the laminations of the Hammond 230 V secondary power transformer and epoxy of double-sided tape it in place instead. This usually eliminates all mechanical noise. You will need a separate screw to hold down the terminal strip. The filament transformer seems to be happy with the screws.

Regards,

Lloyd

Dr. Lloyd

• http://www.mapletreeaudio.com
Octal 6 upgrade strategy
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2003, 01:20 pm »
Based on some (so far) limited experience with upgrades of several different MAD products (Ear+, Ultra 4A, Octal 6A), I would suggest the following order of upgrading experiments:

1. Change the 4 Solen output coupling caps to Auricaps (1uF/200V) and the cathode bypass electrolytics to a Black Gate type (47uF/25V).

2. Change the power supply filter caps to Black Gates (use 150-22-22uF all at 350V in the filter chain to replace the 47-47-47uF series).

3. Change the resistors in the SRPP circuit to Caddock 0.75W metal films; change the resistors in the CF circuit to Riken 1W carbons.

Step 1 is not too costly given the good performance/value of the Auricaps. Steps 2 requires some rather expensive Black Gate types. I would be surprised if step 3 makes a big change in sonics--but I could be wrong!

Happy tweaking,

Lloyd

RodB

Upgrades and Tweaks
« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2003, 05:14 pm »
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions.  

Just to be sure, its not that I am displeased witht he Octal 6A, just had good experiences ugrading other DIY projects and thought, why not?

Rod