V2 Build - For The Non-Woodworker

Philistine

V2 Build - For The Non-Woodworker
« on: 26 Feb 2011, 04:25 pm »
This thread documents how to build a pair of V2 open baffles if you have zero woodworking skills, but covet having ownership of one of Danny's current OB kits:

Background
My current main system: Modwright Transporter, MW 36.5, 2 X KWA 150's, Salk HT3's, Grover Huffman cables - system can be used for multi-channel and HT with Salk centre channel spkr, GR Research Criterions (G2 ribbon tweeter), Butler 3150 amp.

I've had the pleasure of listening to many of Danny's designs over the years and consider he's second to non when it comes to putting together a speaker that integrates drivers and crossovers that project a very musical and coherent sound with great imaging and dimensional sound stage.  About 15 months ago I had the pleasure of hearing an open baffle system powered by an Eddie Vaughn Carina tube amp (1.5 Watt SET or 3 Watt Ultralinear), MWTP front-end, and really enjoyed the experience.  It was very relaxed, musical and more enjoyable than listening to my own system - I had to get an OB system, the sound was just too good.

GR-Research
One of Danny's kits was the path forward but, like most of us here on AC, I had no woodworking skills nor the time to acquire them. However, I did have rudimentary soldering skills so decided to build a pair of Neo2's (using pre-built PE cabinets) as an intro to building crossovers.  At the same time I was in dialogue with Danny on how to build OB cabinets, the only barrier to turning my OB dream into reality.  Fortunately one independent cabinet builder came 'outofthewoods' (pun intended) with an agreement to build the cabinets for me.

Fallen Enclosures
Finding a good cabinet builder that is reliable and able to produce high quality cabinets was the hardest part of this build.
Ruben (outofthewoods) is the cabinet builder that fills this gap - Ruben is a perfectionist and in-demand, he will only send out something that he considers is 100% and his ethics and values are in line with his skills.  He agreed to build the cabinets (his first V2 build) for me and, over the course of the build, we communicated on the tweaking of the design as it came to reality.

The Cabinets Arrived
I've taken photographs in order to document the build, and will get these up over the next few posts in order to demonstrate the skills and time required.
Receiving the kit from Danny was the easy part, Danny has a core competence in being able to get my credit card details  :lol:  The second part of the equation was receipt of the cabinets - Ruben crated up the cabinets and they took about 4 days door to door from Colorado to Western PA.  I didn't take photos of the inside of the crates, but all I can say is that the cabinets where so well packed and cosseted they could have taken a 50ft fall and have come out unscathed.  Ruben's attention to packaging is equal to his cabinet building skills.

Let's start with the delivery:

More to follow....

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: V2 Build - For The Non-Woodworker
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2011, 05:56 pm »
Here we go!  :drool:   :drool:   :drool:

jeffh

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2011, 08:35 pm »
Let's see them   :no_see:

chip

« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2011, 09:38 pm »
Can't wait to see pics.

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2011, 09:49 pm »
You go Phil! Looking forward to your listening impressions. I know you have good ears and expensive taste. ;)

Nice packing job Danny!  Ruben
« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2011, 06:51 pm by richidoo »

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2011, 01:30 am »
And those OSB crates can be used as speakers boxes for your garage or kid's room.  :)
Can't wait to see what is inside.

Wayne 

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2011, 06:06 am »
Thanks Philip.

Love the "cliff hanger". :green:

Perhaps I should have written "This Side UP" in hot pink! :o :lol:

Ruben

Philistine

« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2011, 02:54 pm »
I'm going to get this all done today!

I chose Satin Black for the finish, Ruben installed the NoRez (eliminated another step) :thumb:

Philistine

« Reply #8 on: 27 Feb 2011, 03:06 pm »
Driver Installation

Coaxial - Easiest First

Woofers
Screws used for the accessible part of the front baffle and bolts used for the rear accessible part of the baffle:

Woofer/NoRez Close Up
Ruben had a pair of the drivers and was able to cut the NoRez around the woofer :thumb:

Philistine

« Reply #9 on: 27 Feb 2011, 03:10 pm »
Driver Installation Finished

Note the outriggers to improve stability.

chip

« Reply #10 on: 27 Feb 2011, 03:21 pm »
very nice looking!

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2011, 05:27 pm »
I really like the Darth V2 look, with the satin black finish.  Nice work!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 27 Feb 2011, 05:28 pm »
Do you mind sharing what the cabinet cost was?

jparkhur

« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2011, 06:33 pm »
Ruben did an awesome job and they look so good.  The total package is cool..  Did you screw these together or how where they pieced? 

JP

NeilT

« Reply #14 on: 27 Feb 2011, 07:33 pm »
Ruben did an awesome job and they look so good.  The total package is cool..  Did you screw these together or how where they pieced? 

JP

Ditto or what he said.
Beautiful work Reuben  :thumb:
Neil

Philistine

« Reply #15 on: 27 Feb 2011, 08:40 pm »
Cost
Ruben has a cost structure based on finish and extras - I will refer to him on how he wants to present this.
I had the following:
Cabinets
Grills
Outriggers
NoRez
Matching Crossover Boards
Boxes For Plate Amps

Construction
I had the cabinets pre-built, all I had to do was install the drivers, outriggers, screw in the plate amps in their boxes and build the crossovers.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #16 on: 27 Feb 2011, 08:46 pm »
Outstanding.

Philistine

« Reply #17 on: 27 Feb 2011, 08:47 pm »
Here's the 'almost finished build' ready for a Brit party I had recently:

Remaining steps:
Have Ruben build speaker grills on burgundy and/or grey - the black grills and cabinets don't contrast enough.
Finish the crossover binding posts (I'm currently using the crossover wire direct to the amp).

How Do They Sound?
Wonderful - I'm very happy with them, I'll post more detail on this over the next few days.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #18 on: 27 Feb 2011, 08:59 pm »
How Do They Sound?
Wonderful - I'm very happy with them, I'll post more detail on this over the next few days.

Just "very happy" Phil? I know it's still very early to expect you to be overly estatic with them but I gotta ask anyways, have you any regrets for not going with the top of the line Super V's?

Wonderful pictures BTW Phil.  :thumb:  Ruben does some very nice work to complement Danny's kits, it makes for a very attractive loudspeaker package.  8)

I look forward to your continuing thoughts on the V2's sound stage presense once you have a firm grasp on them.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

Philistine

« Reply #19 on: 28 Feb 2011, 04:23 pm »

Just "very happy" Phil? I know it's still very early to expect you to be overly estatic with them but I gotta ask anyways, have you any regrets for not going with the top of the line Super V's?

Wonderful pictures BTW Phil.  :thumb:  Ruben does some very nice work to complement Danny's kits, it makes for a very attractive loudspeaker package.  8)

I look forward to your continuing thoughts on the V2's sound stage presense once you have a firm grasp on them.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

The reason I went with the V2's Robin was my objective was to build a 3rd system for less than $5k, so this dictated the V2's over the Super V's.  I now have a system that costs less than individual components in my 'main' system, and is more musical and fun to listen to :o  Everyone I've spoken to who has OB speaker systems has turned their backs on regular box speakers, as OB's just sound more lifelike.  At the same time I'd become tired of chasing the holy grail of 'is this cable better than the other cable, does this DAC sound more musical etc etc' I just wanted to get back to the basics of enjoying music again.   Having said that, are the Super V's in my future constellation?  Oh yes........  8)

I've had them up and running for over 3 weeks now, so I've got about 300 hours on the crossovers - I don't know if they're going to change much more than this, but I still find the overall sound intoxicating.  I'll post a more detailed updated later, but my prime objective of starting this thread was to highlight Ruben as a cabinet option, many of us on AC appreciate Danny's expertise in designing speakers but frustrated by not having the woodworking skills to put something together that they would want in their living rooms.  Ruben gives that option.....