V2 center thanks to Danny and Jon

rob_b

V2 center thanks to Danny and Jon
« on: 20 Feb 2013, 09:17 pm »
Just wanted to give a shout out to Danny and Jon for their efforts in making a custom V2 center a reality.
I haven't had a chance to install the amp and wire it all up yet, but wanted to post a pic.  Really excited to get this beast hooked up.
Will let you know the impressions...

bigbang

Re: V2 center thanks to Danny and Jon
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2013, 11:40 pm »
 :thumb:

HT cOz

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2013, 12:50 am »
What drivers did you use?

jparkhur

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2013, 01:10 pm »
I think I made 5 of those things, 3 i screwed up.  Rob, sorry it took so long.  Im glad you are happy with it.  Huh.. sit it upright and have LCR's  ... Never thought of that till i looked at it..
Danny:  Did you measure this thing and have a graph?.. I may be asking too much... I know..

Jon

rob_b

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2013, 03:18 pm »
What drivers did you use?

Not sure actually.  Danny chose the drivers to match up with the V2's.

I was able to get things hooked up yesterday and I've got to say that I'm rather pleased.  We watched some movies last night and I have to say that the dialogue intelligibility has never been better.  I'm a very happy camper.  It was well worth the wait.

shadowlight

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2013, 03:25 pm »
Congratulation Rob.

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2013, 04:08 pm »
what did the unit run you

jparkhur

« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2013, 04:11 pm »
Danny, could you post the prices (drivers and XO) if that is acceptable.  I am not aware of the totals.

Box was 200, plus minus on extras. 

To keep box smaller, the center area has an angled part in it to cut it off from the rest and the that back area is connection the two woofer sections to increase the space for them.  Rob has an amp that is going to be build in to one woofer side.  Danny hid the xo on top of the center driver box area for easier access.. its tight though..

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 21 Feb 2013, 05:20 pm »
I think it looks amazing , have been looking to change my speakers for some time since they were built in 1994, but as you can see from my avatar picture, my setup is unique and not every speaker can operate in that positioning and sound great. I have the Cary mono tube amps , and odyssey solid state monoblocks I can use also. I have 1 solid state preamp superfied hafler lol, and 2 tube preamps cary and soon a bottlehead quickie, so I do have flexibility.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 21 Feb 2013, 06:34 pm »
These were designed to match the V-2 left and right main speakers. http://gr-research.com/v-2.aspx

I am calling this one the V-3.

I can provide all the crossover parts and drivers for $429. This uses all the best parts where needed with Sonicaps, Mills resistors, and Erse XQ inductors. This also includes wire, solder, screws, and tube connectors.  :thumb:

You will need to pick up one of this amps for the outer woofers. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=301-506

Or if you want a little more head room then you can use one of these: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=301-510

rob_b

« Reply #10 on: 21 Feb 2013, 07:10 pm »
Yeah, I picked up the amp with a bit more headroom.  The 2nd link in Danny's post.
I've gone through quite a few centers and when I picked up the v2's naturally I wanted something that matched sonically.
It was more of an after sight since I knew a dedicated matching center didn't exist except for another v2.  So you can imagine my delight when I finally hooked this thing up.
I have been spoiled with the V'2s and now with this center, HT is part of my sonic nirvana. :)

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb 2013, 07:19 pm »
Thank you for the pricing, the parts are affordable to me , I am telecom engineer (western electric)sorta retired, who can barely cut firewood, so no way could I make a cabinet for anything speaker related,and dont have the income to buy new stuff, but started to love the look of this open baffle stuff. Never used open baffle except many years ago to simulate jet engines testing tubes at Varian. We used 36 jbl 18 inch woofer and I forget how many hundreds of tweeters to achieve true 120+ db's which at the time f14s were producing if I remember correct.

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 21 Feb 2013, 07:21 pm »
And yes I was involved in the reopening of the western electric tube plant while we were Lucent Technologies which generated good income but not enough so they shut it down again, with the network setup not the tubes lol.

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 21 Feb 2013, 07:22 pm »
And yes I was involved in the reopening of the western electric tube plant while we were Lucent Technologies which generated good income but not enough so they shut it down again, with the network setup not the tubes lol.
needless to say I ve been around alot for only being 45 years old  :thumb:

doug067

« Reply #14 on: 22 Feb 2013, 01:28 am »
Insanely Beautiful!!!

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #15 on: 22 Feb 2013, 02:01 am »
Danny, on a related question, would one of the crossovers I have (that you built) that I was previously running the super-v coax sealed work to build out a super-v center speaker similarly (MTM), or would the baffle size/shape require a redesign?

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 22 Feb 2013, 02:56 am »
Thank you Danny for the phone call and information, I hope one day to try these speakers depending if I can find a reasonable priced cabinet maker, ok, ok cheap as possible cabinet maker, or one that would trade out work. :green: