Maestro and Twin Titans... WOW!!

thugh

« on: 22 Nov 2004, 03:36 pm »
I finally installed my second Titan and the Maestro in my home theater system yesterday, along with my updated Lex.  Kinda chuckled to myself when autocalibration on the Lex set the Maestro to a -15db setting  :D

Have not had much time to play but Riddick with stereo subs and the Maestro was awesome!  Will report more after a little time to play (but don't expect anything nearly as detailed as Craig...).

On a side note... Room EQ on the Lex is awesome... I switched back and forth and it was like putting on and taking off your glasses for those who wear them... blurry not blurry...  :mrgreen:

Harry P

« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2004, 03:04 am »
Sorry, but we expect lots and lots of details! I'm very jealous indeed, Maestro, dual Titans, Lexicon w/ eq :mrgreen:

thugh

« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2004, 08:19 am »
So here are my initial thoughts on my new setup.  But a little background, my system was moved from my living room to a spare bedroom basically to reclaim living space and to get rid of some of the compromises of a mixed use room.  Since a few of you have asked, my system comprises of:

·   ACI Panoramas X 6 (on custom stands by Brian at Rutledge Audio Design)
·   ACI Essence Center
·   ACI Titan II X 2
·   Maestro
·   Lexicon MC12 V4
·   Lexicon LX7
·   Denon 2900
·   InFocus 7200 (in a Hushbox by Whisperflow)
·   90 inch screen
·   ASC pieces throughout the room

Maestro
I have problems adding to what Craig has already said about this sub and he is a tough act to follow but here goes; the Maestro is awesome.  It adds weight to the bottom end to the point that I believed that the Star Destroyer from the opening scene in Star Wars was actually flying over my room and not just on the screen as the room shook.   The shock wave from Alderan blowing up caused either the low frequencies or the air being moved by the 15 inch driver to washed over me.  This type of bass presence just was not there with a single Titan.  What is also great to discover that with all this brute force available, it still sounds controlled and crisp (dare I say musical) as the Titan.

I also listened to the famous Telarc 1812 SACD with the Canon warning… what warning?  I listened at reference level and the Maestro seemed to take it all (I’m still covered by warranty right Mike?) :D

Dual Titans
I have the two Titans set up directly on each side of the listening position.  These subs are set up for Lexicon Bass Enhance that extracts stereo bass to eliminate the “middle of the head” effect of low frequencies, this is why low frequencies seem to be non directional, but it is unnatural, Bass Enhance is designed to get rid of this phenomenon.  For me the bass enhance seems to work well and I’m glad I did it.

Room Correction
The Lex allows you to have four levels of room correction and to quickly toggle between them. All I can say is that the impact is not subtle. It is like when you're at the eye doctor and he is swapping out lenses quickly, "better or worse" or "blurry or not blurry". All the voices and instruments seem to snap into place when room correction is on.  Lexicon Room Correction works on the lower frequencies as they are more predictable and targets things such as decay instead of trying to flatten the response curve as some room eqs do.  I’m glad I did this upgrade as well.

Overall
I am completely blown away by my system now.  I have always gone away from demo rooms at some high-end dealers feeling that there is room for improvement in my system; thanks to Mike, the engineers and software designers at Lexicon, I don’t think my results give up much to them now at all.  So in the confines of my current living arrangement, other than taking down walls, I don’t think there is much left for me to do… now that is a scary thought…
 :lol:

Craig Chase

Nice write-up !!
« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2004, 02:55 am »
Tom - Very well done ... Makes me think about springinf for the Lexicon, too ...  :)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2004, 03:03 am »
Quote from: thugh
The Lex allows you to have four levels of room correction and to quickly toggle between them. All I can say is that the impact is not subtle. It is like when you're at the eye doctor and he is swapping out lenses quickly, "better or worse" or "blurry or not blurry". All the voices and instruments seem to snap into place when room correction is on. Lexicon Room Correction works on the lower frequencies as they are more predictable and targets things such as decay instead of trying to flatten the response curve as some room eqs do. I’m glad I did this upgrade as well.

Tom,

Congrats!  Sounds like an excellent system.  

I just put a Tact RCS 2.2x into my system and I couldn't agree more on the benfits of well done room correction.  This has been a serious "eye opening" experience for me.

I have a friend who is thinking about the Maestro, your thoughts might push him to try it in his system...

George

thugh

« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2004, 05:04 am »
Craig,

Lexicon is a company that just seems to do things right, plus they listen to and take care of their customers with upgrades, trade ins etc, which is important to me.  I don't think you could go wrong with them.  You get me to spring for the Maestro and I get you to spring for the Lex... I win  :lol:

Zybar,

Room is definitely key and room correction seems to take it out of the equation allowing us to hear what the recording is supposed to sound like and allow us the hear what Mike wants us the hear through his speakers.  Definitely a keeper and well worth the investment.

thugh

Tweaking continues...
« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2004, 07:59 pm »
Man tweaking with the Lex is fun... I think I have run the Setup and Room Correction process at least 5 times so far as I tweak...

I changed over the inputs in each of my subs to the Theater inputs just to see how the Lex would integrate the subs when it had full control.  As expected, low end output was curtailed noticeably but it tightened up and was still strong and sharp… hmm… I think I will try leaving the Left and Rights in Theater and switch over the Maestro which is dedicated to LFE back to the R input to maximize slammm   :D