Panoramas or Essence Vs?

jsnable

Panoramas or Essence Vs?
« on: 14 Nov 2004, 09:11 pm »
Hi All,

I'm thinking about joining the ACI club, and am considering a system for 60% HT, 40% music use. The rears are easy - 1 or 2 pairs of Emerald on-walls, as I don't have an option for floor standers in the back. The fronts would be an Essence center and either the Panoramas or Essence Vs. Both would be stand mounted and able to be a couple of feet out from the wall (the Essence V stands would be pretty short though). I have an SVS 20-39 PC+, though I may consider the Maestro for more of a "furniture" look. I currently have my Definitive BP10s crossed over at 80Hz and always use the sub (managed by a Lexicon MC-1). I tend to listen to music in multichannel mode with Lexicon's processing.

Room size is 30'L x 15.5'W with cathedral ceilings. I typically sit about 18' back from the front speakers, which are about 11' apart (flanking a 10'W screen). There are bipolar surrounds in line with the seating, but no rear channels yet. Not ideal I know, but I am pretty pleased with movies. I am looking for better music performance and more intelligible dialog.

So, any hints? I've seen Sapphire to Panorama comparisons, but virtually nothing about the Essence Vs.

Thanks,

Jay

thugh

Panoramas or Essence Vs?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2004, 11:52 pm »
The Essence, Veritas and Protege are all purpose built speakers for multi-channel use where an 80Hz crossover is the norm.  By using the higher cross over point the low frequency demands are lessened on the mains and surrounds and handled by the sub(s) increasing performance.

Panoramas and Sapphires are more meant as crossover speakers that are meant to be two channel monitors that can also handle multi-channel duty quite well.

I personally run Panos in all positions but center.   My theory is better to have the low frequency capability and not use it than to need it and not have it.
 :D

Mike Dzurko

Panoramas or Essence Vs?
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2004, 02:44 pm »
Jay:

Great question! The real difference between Essence V and Panorama is in the intended application. The Panorama is nearly full range, with a bottom end that goes powerfully to around 40Hz. The Panorama is a great monitor that can easily anchor a high-end two-channel rig. Like all our monitors, they can also be seamlessly integrated with one of our subs for true full-range performance. And, the Panorama is compatible with our other systems so they can also be easily integrated into the finest multi-channel music and HTsystems.

On the other hand, the Essence and Essence V are optimized from the start for state-of-the-art, high-output multi-channel music-HT setups. The Essence rolls off at 80Hz, and thus requires sub(s). The second order roll-off at 80Hz combined with the standard 80Hz second order high-pass in most processors makes it very easy to get a perfect integration with subs.

Based on the fact that you keep your sub in the system full time, I would recommend the Essence Vs for the front flanking the Essence center.  This is one heck of a fine front end. The Emerald On-Walls will do a terrific job for your surrounds. And, if you can add the Maestro, you will certainly have an amazing system. We'll be happy to work with you on putting the whole package together. We'd love to have you join our club :)

jsnable

Panoramas or Essence Vs?
« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2004, 07:00 am »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Mike, I was wondering if you could comment on the optimum installed height for your speakers. I was initially believing that the Essence (s?) should be installed with the tweeter at ear level, around 40" in my case, but it looks like the recommended heights for both speakers put the midrange at ear level. I love the look of Tom's custom stands with the Panoramas, and had been a little concerned about a "shorty" stand for the taller Essence speakers. Putting the midrange at ear level seems like it would be a more "proportional" look though...

As far as keeping the front three speakers at similar heights, my center speaker has to be no taller than about 24" from the floor to clear the bottom of my screen. I do have a stand that allows it to be tilted up (Sound Anchors stand for Aerial CC3).

Jay

Mike Dzurko

Panoramas or Essence Vs?
« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2004, 12:48 pm »
Jay:

The Essence is quite forgiving as far as tweeter height. It works equally well on short or slightly taller stands. I would not go higher than 24". Anything between about 15-24 is great. One consideration is that you want to try to minimize the difference in tweeter height between your center and your left - right speakers. In practice about the only way to do this is with a transparent screen which is a whole other issue. However, it does help to try to minimize the difference. In that respect, the shorter stands will work a bit better.

We sell that same Sound Anchor center stand and its the one I use under my Veritas. Right now it is a bit lower than I want. I plan on adding a platform under it to bring it up a bit. Like you, I still need to keep it under my screen, but I want to get it closer to the bottom edge of the screen.