Mike or others who know about ACI inwalls

DanaA

« on: 5 Nov 2004, 01:24 am »
As is the case with most of us, I think, friends ask for suggestions as to what to buy.  A couple of friends on budgets recently bought the ELT's, although they're not made by ACI.  One loves the speakers and the other is waiting for the shipment to arrive.  The second one also ordered a pair of the inwalls to go 7.1.

Last night, another friend called who has just finished building a couple of add on structures to his house.  He told me that he left openings with wiring so that he could install some in-wall speakers.  Now, those are the only speakers by ACI that I haven't heard anything about.  

Can anyone give me a clue as to how good they sound.   The guy has seen my on-wall Emeralds and really likes those, but, in case he wants to go in wall, I'd like to pass along some information on them.  I know they probably don't sound as good as the Emeralds, but do they come close?  I will tell him about the 30 day money back guarantee.

I think the second guy who bought the ELT's ordered coaxials for his in wall speakers.

From seeing the room he's planning on putting them in, I'd say it's probably about 10 X 14 with 10 or so foot ceilings.  He mentioned it would be used mostly for HT, so I know a sub would be needed.

eastberlin

« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2004, 03:56 pm »
I'm also interested in the question of in-walls (and in-ceiling) because I keep reading that quality of this type of speaker has improved a great deal in the past few years.  There are a lot of choices out there, some quite expensive.  Does anyone have experience with ACI and other in-walls that can share their experience?

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2004, 09:12 pm »
ACI has two types of inwalls.

First, we have the inexpensive B-Flat series in several sizes and shapes, with and without back chamber.  The coax B-Flats are very good for the money. We sell a lot to contractors and custom installers. If you have space for the chamber, definitely go with the chambered version.

http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/bflat/coax65.htm

http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/bflat/coax8.htm

We also have the custom in-wall versions of Sapphires, Panorama, Protege, Essence, Emerald, Maestro, Force, and Titan.  These fully enclosued speakers are some of the finest available in-wall units available at any price. For someone who wants a superb system, but wants it built in, these are the way to go.
http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/custom/customesp.htm

http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/custom/essencec.htm

http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/custom/protegec.htm

http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/custom/customftm.htm

DanaA

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2004, 12:24 am »
Thank you, Mike.

I already talked to my friend last night and, most likely, he'll be telephoning ACI to discuss his particular situation.

eastberlin

« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2004, 12:47 pm »
Hey thanks, Mike.  Short of building a column, it never occurred to me to put the C series speakers in-wall or in ceiling.  It would certainly require a bit of construction since most of the speakers are 5" deep and are heavy.  Have you come across any novel mounting ideas for in-wall/in-ceiling that help secure the speakers in place without transferring a lot of energy to the walls and/or neighboring rooms?  Or are the cabinets really inert enough to be mounted touching studs/drywall?

Thanks,

Bill

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2004, 02:48 pm »
Quote from: DanaA
Thank you, Mike.

I already talked to my friend last night and, most likely, he'll be telephoning ACI to discuss his particular situation.

Sounds good . . .he can also feel free to email me directly if he'd like.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2004, 02:51 pm »
Quote from: eastberlin
Hey thanks, Mike.  Short of building a column, it never occurred to me to put the C series speakers in-wall or in ceiling.  It would certainly require a bit of construction since most of the speakers are 5" deep and are heavy.  Have you come across any novel mounting ideas for in-wall/in-ceiling that help secure the speakers in place without transferring a lot of energy to the walls and/or neighboring rooms?  Or are the cabinets really inert enough to be mounted touching studs/drywall?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill:

What our local installer has done is build a shelf in the wall. He then uses some sorbothane pads between the speaker and this shelf. That is the only contact with the wall and it really works well to minimize vibration. Of course the speakers themselves are quite solid and well braced so they don't have a lot of vibration to transfer.

thugh

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2004, 05:39 pm »
Mike,

I know the cabinets and cross overs of the in walls are modified for their placement purposes.

I have a question regarding what other compromises, if any, are there for going to inwalls.  Will they image as well is freestanding?

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2004, 09:59 pm »
Quote from: thugh
Mike,

I know the cabinets and cross overs of the in walls are modified for their placement purposes.

I have a question regarding what other compromises, if any, are there for going to inwalls.  Will they image as well is freestanding?

Tom:

Tonally, properly enclosed in-walls sound terrific. Lateral imaging is equal to free standing speakers. Image height is nearly the equal of free standing speakers. Image depth is not as good, simply because the illusion of two channel depth requires some time delay between the initial direct sounds, and the sound that is reflects off the front wall. This is the main reason that pulling speakers out into the room increases the sense of depth. The further out, the greater the delay, and the greater sense of depth.

This might be a serious factor for two-channel listening but is really not particularly important for multi-channel and HT. In these cases, most of the sense of depth is created by the additional channels.

IF you use the system for a lot of "sweet spot" stereo listening, you will likely want to have a set of free standing speakers. IF the system is used for multi-channel and HT, then inwall mounts can serve VERY well. We've done a number of very nice systems locally and they provide some of the very finest HT I've ever experienced. Personally, if I was doing a dedicated HT, I'd build everything in.

thugh

« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2004, 01:29 am »
Thanks Mike,

So it sounds like if you are trying for a hybrid room, you might want floorstanding for the LCR and an accoustically transparent screen that can be retracted for music and Inwalls for all surround duty.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2004, 02:38 pm »
Quote from: thugh
Thanks Mike,

So it sounds like if you are trying for a hybrid room, you might want floorstanding for the LCR and an accoustically transparent screen that can be retracted for music and Inwalls for all surround duty.

That is certainly a great option. They can be floorstanding or stand mount. In my hybrid room I've gone with a wall mounted screen with Talismans and Veritas in front of the screen. This allows me to easily swap other speakers in for evaluation.