Surround Sound (Emerald) Height

bclasen

« on: 5 Nov 2004, 12:11 am »
Hi,
I bought an ACI setup (5.1 for now) this summer while I started building out my HT. Still have a ways to go, I'm now into the wiring phase.

I'm a 2 channel guy, multi channel is new to me. I think I've read that surround speakers should be slightly behind the primary listening area, but how about height on the walls? My HT is in the basement and the ceiling height is low - about 80". Is there a rule of thumb?

Thanks!
Bob

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2004, 12:46 am »
Usual surround height is to have the tweeter about 2' above ear level of the listening position.

As I'm not familiar with your rears, you might want to experiment a bit with the height if at all possible. But 2' should at least get you in the ballpark.

DanaA

« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2004, 11:03 pm »
What I did was have my daughter position the speaker in different spots on the wall until I felt it was optimally placed.  This was while I sat in the position we'd be sitting in when listening.  Then, we reversed roles, with me positioning the speakers.  The sonic difference was quite profound in different positions.  When all was said and done, each of us had chosen a spot within one or two inches of the spot the other had selected.  The reason I say, "on the wall" is because the surrounds I have are the on-wall Emeralds.

By the way, Bubba had it pretty close to where they finally ended up.

Harry P

« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2004, 09:33 pm »
This summer I helped a friend setup with Emerald on walls for surround. We tried different heights and ended up with the tweeters 5' off the floor. Just for fun, we flipped all his connections around to try the speakers for stereo, sounds fantastic!

shadow

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2004, 02:08 am »
Quote from: DanaA
What I did was have my daughter position the speaker in different spots on the wall until I felt it was optimally placed.  This was while I sat in the position we'd be sitting in when listening.  Then, we reversed roles, with me positioning the speakers.  The sonic difference was quite profound in different positions.  When all was said and done, each of us had chosen a spot within one or two inches of the spot the other had selected.  The reason I say, "on the wall" is because the surrounds I have are the  ...

How high are your tweeters above the floor?  what are your front three speakers?

DanaA

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2005, 12:17 am »
I measured and the center of the tweeters seem to be 59" high.  

My front speakers are Sapphires on the left and right and an Essence center.

Good luck.