Speakers for musical enjoyment

mcgsxr

Re: Speakers for musical enjoyment
« Reply #40 on: 23 Aug 2014, 02:24 pm »
Good guess, but they are the next step up the Totem floor stander lineup, the Sttaf.

More laid back than the 20's as expected, and a little more soul for sure.  I may look to pick up an integrated and use the 2 systems in the same room, but running totally separate. 

I have heard the Dreamcatchers and they are nice for sure.  Smaller rooms would be great with them and with any of the Totem subs they are a surprise for 2 channel.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #41 on: 23 Aug 2014, 03:10 pm »
Good speaker also - but then the Mite Center + Mite bookshelves are the correct matching HT components as I'm sure you know. 

The smaller Totem columns + bookshelves ARE surprisingly good w/ a tight sub such as from REL / MJ Acoustics though Totem has some as well.  I wasn't so thrilled w/ the Totem Storm, but the Kin or pricey Tribe might be a lot better. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #42 on: 23 Aug 2014, 09:05 pm »
Yeah, I know the right combo would be as you state.

My HT setup uses the 3 Paradigm Cinema 330's wall mounted.  The Sttaf run purely 2 channel. 

Only the room (ok and the listening chair!) is shared.

mcgsxr

« Reply #43 on: 25 Aug 2014, 09:58 pm »
For those interested, I posted a review of the Sttaf and the synergy I found with the 2 amps I tried with it.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=128350.msg1354682#new

mcgsxr

« Reply #44 on: 22 Jan 2019, 07:13 pm »
Been a while, but I am back at it again.

In the past 4 years or so I built up some DIY active speakers and enjoyed that for a while.

Then I sought to simplify when an old Sugden integrated showed up locally.  I pined for my long lost friend (Sugden A28B from 1994) and traded a power amp for the still pretty old Sugden Optima 140.

Paired with a set of Acoustic Energy Aegis Two (have to be from the late 90's or so) and the music is quite nice.

Not audiophile fantastic, but engaging and smooth and I am liking it.

I am saving for a set of Totem Arro, but for now these will do it for sure.

wushuliu

« Reply #45 on: 28 Jan 2019, 01:19 am »
Just throwing this out there since you mentioned DIY: comes with everything. Just needs assembly. I can't think of anyone who doesn't respect Jeff Bagby's designs. Easily a $4-5k speaker at 1/5 the cost. The woofers alone cost $250 each.

https://www.parts-express.com/solstice-mltl-reference-tower-speaker-kit--300-708

quamman

« Reply #46 on: 28 Jan 2019, 08:09 am »
I have always been curious as to how well Parts Express's tower speakers kits sound . So far I have only built a set of the Ultimax 18's with flat packs . Other than the initial miss-cut on the finish baffles I have been very satisfied with their performance .

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #47 on: 28 Jan 2019, 09:45 am »
Just throwing this out there since you mentioned DIY: comes with everything. Just needs assembly. I can't think of anyone who doesn't respect Jeff Bagby's designs. Easily a $4-5k speaker at 1/5 the cost. The woofers alone cost $250 each.

https://www.parts-express.com/solstice-mltl-reference-tower-speaker-kit--300-708

Indeed, Jeff Bagby knows his stuff. Those Morel drivers are very well regarded and top of the line for hifi drivers.

Interestingly enough, I noticed that industry veteran Richard Modafferi has built it and modified his version with his infinity crossover slope (which Joseph Audio licenses from him).

I think if you are after a typical 2 way MLTL, this speaker might be a contender...

It's 4 ohm nominal and 87dB efficient, but with a 100 watts, you can probably make it boogie.

Best,
Anand.

srb

« Reply #48 on: 28 Jan 2019, 10:37 am »
Just throwing this out there since you mentioned DIY: comes with everything. Just needs assembly.

Any recommendation for a DIY kit along those lines - high quality drivers + pre-cut cabinets (most likely single-woofer stand-mount) - that might better fit into the Cheap & Cheerful HiFi category?

OzarkTom

« Reply #49 on: 28 Jan 2019, 01:16 pm »
Does anybody make ampified single alnico speakers yet? That should be C&C priced and sound great.

wushuliu

« Reply #50 on: 28 Jan 2019, 03:45 pm »
Any recommendation for a DIY kit along those lines - high quality drivers + pre-cut cabinets (most likely single-woofer stand-mount) - that might better fit into the Cheap & Cheerful HiFi category?

Nothing that can't be equalled by retail under 1k. Andrew Jones really changed the market. Hard to beat a UB500 for $500 (definitely not the $375 sale price this winter). I would have said the CSS Satori speaker flat pack kit but I'm not sure they still offer it. THAT is a steal and a half. Maybe they have some left.

FireGuy

« Reply #51 on: 28 Jan 2019, 04:00 pm »
No kit needed.  Axiom Audio and Ascend Acoustics match or better anything kit IMO.  Below the $500 threshold.

mcgsxr

« Reply #52 on: 3 Mar 2019, 09:12 pm »
I found a set of Paradigm Studio Reference 20's - the V4's this time and local to me.

Could not pass them up at the price, and they were literally a mile from my house.

Early impressions are that the Sugden and the Paradigms will compliment nicely.  Not a TON of bass from these largish stand mounts, but exactly the mids and top end I was looking for.

I guess I like it bright, based on the list of speakers I have really liked, and those that I sold relatively quickly.

mcgsxr

« Reply #53 on: 3 Sep 2019, 06:53 pm »
Back again.  Unclear if documenting this is good, or simply disturbing!

I sold off the Paradigm Studio Reference 20 V4's.  I really liked them, and the V2's I had a few years back, but something always draws me back to Totems.

I found a set of really mint (original packaging including double box) Totem Rainmakers in mahogany within driving distance.

I plunked them down on my "stands", hooked up the Sugden integrated and dropped the Focal bluetooth adapter into place.  Nice.  Took the time to relocate the integrated to the media closet, and reinserted my Bolder modded Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11.  Really nice!

These Rainmakers remind me a lot of the time I spent with the Model 1's.  Same tweeter, different woofer and different box (and assuming different Xover) so there are reasons to hear the differences.  By memory the Model 1 is more refined, but these don't shy away much.

Good fun continues. 

Shriram

« Reply #54 on: 9 Jan 2020, 11:03 pm »
I have the Quad 11L (active version), for speakers you can move easily I would suggest looking at used Maggies (should be available for under $500, MMG, SMG or 0.7 or LRS) and super easy to move as they are very light. and in your large room have the space to sound good. Bookshelf on stands are ok to move, think maggies much easier.

Note I do like the dipole/maggie sound.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #55 on: 10 Jan 2020, 06:06 am »
Back again.  Unclear if documenting this is good, or simply disturbing!

I sold off the Paradigm Studio Reference 20 V4's.  I really liked them, and the V2's I had a few years back, but something always draws me back to Totems.

I found a set of really mint (original packaging including double box) Totem Rainmakers in mahogany within driving distance.

I plunked them down on my "stands", hooked up the Sugden integrated and dropped the Focal bluetooth adapter into place.  Nice.  Took the time to relocate the integrated to the media closet, and reinserted my Bolder modded Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11.  Really nice!

These Rainmakers remind me a lot of the time I spent with the Model 1's.  Same tweeter, different woofer and different box (and assuming different Xover) so there are reasons to hear the differences.  By memory the Model 1 is more refined, but these don't shy away much.

Good fun continues. 

I’m sitting in a mango & milk shaved ice shop on YongKang Street eating a ridiculously large mango shaved ice treat. It’s too big for one, but I’m off the hot street and enjoying my break from walking the street.

I’m pretty sure I have never heard Totem Rainmakers, but I’ve read so many nice comments about them. With all the audio candy out there, it’s good to have a pair of speakers to get back to that happy place.

Enjoy!

Michael

mcgsxr

« Reply #56 on: 10 Jan 2020, 06:23 pm »
I have the Quad 11L (active version), for speakers you can move easily I would suggest looking at used Maggies (should be available for under $500, MMG, SMG or 0.7 or LRS) and super easy to move as they are very light. and in your large room have the space to sound good. Bookshelf on stands are ok to move, think maggies much easier.

Note I do like the dipole/maggie sound.

Actives are an area I have not yet explored.  Likely I am too attached to my older Sugden integrated!

In terms of Maggies, I've owned both the MMG's and the 1.6QR's.  Loved both.  But had to sell them off (cats), and return to a more standard speaker style.  I do love the OB sound (I ran DIY open baffle speakers for 10 years before finishing the basement and needing to return to a more commercial looking speaker).

mcgsxr

« Reply #57 on: 10 Jan 2020, 06:26 pm »
I’m sitting in a mango & milk shaved ice shop on YongKang Street eating a ridiculously large mango shaved ice treat. It’s too big for one, but I’m off the hot street and enjoying my break from walking the street.

I’m pretty sure I have never heard Totem Rainmakers, but I’ve read so many nice comments about them. With all the audio candy out there, it’s good to have a pair of speakers to get back to that happy place.

Enjoy!

Michael

Michael it has been a long time since I had the pleasure of a Taiwan shaved ice!  Have not been back myself since 1997.

The Rainmakers are good.  I like them quite a bit, though I sometimes pine for the Model 1's I once owned. 

Then again I am frequently guilty of wanting to swap out speakers every 6-12 months!  In all the years I have owned gear (getting on 40) I can only recall 2 times held onto a set of speakers longer than 2 years.

Totem Rokk - 10 years
DIY open baffles - 10 years

Maybe the next set will be lifetime!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #58 on: 10 Jan 2020, 06:31 pm »
Try the GR Research NX-Ottica tower with the servo OB bass.  Truly end-game speakers. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #59 on: 10 Jan 2020, 06:55 pm »
Tyson,

Those do not fit into the cheap and cheerful category.