Andrew Jones / Elac

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Andrew Jones / Elac
« Reply #100 on: 29 Oct 2015, 05:56 pm »
I  got the F5s and C5 in my HT set up driven by Outlaw amps and Onkyo processor.  I am hearing details on music and dialogues that I didn't with the 30 year old Polk SDAs.  But they are not as good as my main audio.  Funny thing is I thought one of the Polk speaker was out but it turns out to be a channel in the Outlaw 7 channel amp.  I co-opted a channel used for a rear speaker for now but I suppose I should get the amp checked out.  I may just get a 11 channel amp.  I want to run 4 atmos speakers on top of the 7.1.

Anyway, a pair of Polk SDAs and an Aperion monitor (all working) are free to anyone who will carry them out.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #101 on: 29 Oct 2015, 11:50 pm »
I'll take them.

JLG440

« Reply #102 on: 30 Oct 2015, 01:19 am »
Or, the marketing campaign was really good.  :lol:
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Yes, your right!!!! mouth to mouth marketing is very powerful :lol: :lol: :lol:.

RDavidson

« Reply #103 on: 30 Oct 2015, 01:24 am »
In this day, social media actually IS the most powerful marketing tool. Why is that funny? :duh:

aevans

« Reply #104 on: 4 Nov 2015, 05:07 pm »
Here is a review of the B5's with a few measurements.

http://noaudiophile.com/ELAC_B5/

FireGuy

« Reply #105 on: 4 Nov 2015, 06:09 pm »

Thanks for that review link.  Not quite "These speakers knock it out of the park" conclusion we were lead to believe.
« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2015, 01:01 am by FireGuy »

charmerci

« Reply #106 on: 4 Nov 2015, 06:59 pm »
Thanks for that review link.  Not quite "These speakers know it out of the park" conclusion we were lead to believe.

Seems like a great review to me - for $225/pair.

mr_bill

« Reply #107 on: 4 Nov 2015, 07:26 pm »

You need a review up on your site of something you actually like or you will need to change your name to the negativeaudiophile

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #108 on: 4 Nov 2015, 08:07 pm »
Also, his desktop set up is laughably configured for meaningful speaker assessment, with the wall so close to the right and, especially in light of that, zero toe in.

aevans

« Reply #109 on: 4 Nov 2015, 08:13 pm »
You need a review up on your site of something you actually like or you will need to change your name to the negativeaudiophile

I liked the B5, but they are not perfect and unlike all the other reviewers out there I'm willing to say what I think is wrong with them instead of the cop out line of "for the money"

I think the JBL LSR305 and 308 are probably the best deals in audio at the moment, and I gave each of them mostly positive reviews.

aevans

« Reply #110 on: 4 Nov 2015, 08:15 pm »
Also, his desktop set up is laughably configured for meaningful speaker assessment, with the wall so close to the right and, especially in light of that, zero toe in.

Inverse square law works wonders for near field monitoring setups.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #111 on: 4 Nov 2015, 08:27 pm »
Inverse square law works wonders for near field monitoring setups.

Ohhh - it's you!! :duh:

You may be no audiophile, but I think you need to try harder with your set ups. For another example, were the input terminals shorted in the subs that you used as speaker stands in the living room part of your review?

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #112 on: 4 Nov 2015, 08:33 pm »
I have the B6's in a bedroom and I used my own two ears to judge them prior to purchase...knock...out...of...the...par k as far as I'm concerned. Make no mistake, they are budget speakers built with budget parts to hit the ridiculously low price point of $279 in my case, $229 in the reviewers case...so of course they're going to utilize cheaper parts. But, man are they ever a breath of fresh air in the world of hi-fi...and really, just a kick-ass example what can be accomplished with smart engineering and inexpensive parts.

mr_bill

« Reply #113 on: 4 Nov 2015, 08:34 pm »
I liked the B5, but they are not perfect and unlike all the other reviewers out there I'm willing to say what I think is wrong with them instead of the cop out line of "for the money"

I think the JBL LSR305 and 308 are probably the best deals in audio at the moment, and I gave each of them mostly positive reviews.

I'll check out those JBL - thank you.
Honesty is always good.

aevans

« Reply #114 on: 4 Nov 2015, 08:39 pm »
Ohhh - it's you!! :duh:

You may be no audiophile, but I think you need to try harder with your set ups. For another example, were the input terminals shorted in the subs that you used as speaker stands in the living room part of your review?

I'll bet you a beer that there is zero measurable difference in the bass response in the listening position if the subs are shorted or not.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #115 on: 4 Nov 2015, 09:01 pm »

I'll bet you a beer that there is zero measurable difference in the bass response in the listening position if the subs are shorted or not.
Well you have the equipment; why not run a quick sweep and compare—with other speakers if you don't still have the B5s? I'd be curious if it was measurable, too, but it certainly is good test practice and easily done with an alligator clip jumper.

aevans

« Reply #116 on: 4 Nov 2015, 09:08 pm »
Well you have the equipment; why not run a quick sweep and compare—with other speakers if you don't still have the B5s? I'd be curious if it was measurable, too, but it certainly is good test practice and easily done with an alligator clip jumper.

The subs are already so stiff that shorting them does nothing as far as that I can tell. I'm always down to debunk a myth so I'll test it out and let you know what I find the next time I have measuring gear in the living room.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #117 on: 4 Nov 2015, 09:24 pm »
I guess you know that the effect is easily heard by finger-tapping the cones when shorted and not. Some subs are quite resonant, i.e., you hear a distinct frequency in response to a tap. Those would sing along to a nearby speaker. On the other hand, if the sub is connected to a decent amp with a good damping factor, then turning that amp on is almost as good as shorting the inputs.

aevans

« Reply #118 on: 4 Nov 2015, 09:59 pm »
I guess you know that the effect is easily heard by finger-tapping the cones when shorted and not. Some subs are quite resonant, i.e., you hear a distinct frequency in response to a tap. Those would sing along to a nearby speaker. On the other hand, if the sub is connected to a decent amp with a good damping factor, then turning that amp on is almost as good as shorting the inputs.

Didn't know about tapping them, thanks for sharing that bit of knowledge. I'll stick with the measurement mic though and give it a shot soon.

davidavdavid

• Music lover first, gear head second.
    • david.com
« Reply #119 on: 7 May 2016, 06:40 am »
I have listened to both the KEF LS50 and the ELAC Debut B6 speakers. All i can say is that while the LS50 speakers sound great. they are not - for the money - demonstrably better than the B6 speakers.

Am racking my brain and am not sure that I have heard such a musical, off the shelf, not from a kit, new in the box, pair of speakers sub $300.00.

I too, was suprised,  by the size of the B6 speakers. I was expecting them to be smaller, nonetheless, hats off to Andrew Jones.