CDT-8 PRO sound questions

sticklorat

CDT-8 PRO sound questions
« on: 21 Jul 2021, 04:34 am »
Hi all,

I just purchased a used CDT-8 PRO, my first player/transport in maybe 20 years. I added it to my recently assembled Covid system: Rogue Audio Sphinx3 ,Rega P6, Phonomena 2+, Denafrips Ares2 and Audirvana from PC into Zu Omen bookshelfs. All cabling is Blue Jeans. Everything seems to blend in nicely together, at least to my ears. Added the CDT-8 PRO into the mix and I cannot get any of my CD to sound right. Digital Coax into the Ares2 both in NOS - everything just sounds meh, lacking substance and dynamics. Playing local files (most all FLAC) or Amazon HD music from computer to the USB connection on the Ares2 has no such issues, also no oversampling used on PC or DAC.
Any ideas to improve this situation would be highly appreciated...

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: CDT-8 PRO sound questions
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2021, 06:22 am »
Hello.

I bought a new CDT-8 a few months ago, and I've got a NOS DAC. In my system, I have not encountered what you describe. What are you using for the digital cable, and how long is it?

Long shot: Try cleaning the connectors on the CDT-8 with Deoxit.

Michael

sticklorat

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2021, 07:03 am »
Using a 3 foot Blue Jeans cable, had it connected to both COAX inputs on the Ares2 with same results. Unit is super clean, purchased from The Music Room - they are 20min from my house and I kind of trust them on their listings, plus I have another week to return it if I can't figure it out. I only have a handful of CD at this point but the ripped versions (so it should be same\same) just sound a lot more - looking for words here - engaging?

mresseguie

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2021, 07:31 am »
Brainstorming:

Do you leave it on 24/7?

Any idea how many hours of use it had from the previous owner? How many hours have you run it?

Try a 1.5m long cable instead of a 3 foot cable. [I know that may seem odd, but some situations call for 1.5m cables.]

sticklorat

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2021, 08:36 am »
No idea on the original owner - 10 hours or so for me...and always in stand-by

mresseguie

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2021, 01:58 pm »
Try leaving the CDT on all night (or all day) prior to playing a CD. Does it sound better?

Play a CD non-stop for 3 or 4 days straight. Does it sound better afterward?

I've noticed over the years that some people will buy an audio component; listen to it for just 10 or 15 hours; decide they don't care for it, and sell it. In my opinion, some gear sounds best after a solid burn in period of 100, 250, or more hours.