Windows 11

WGH

Re: Windows 11
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jul 2021, 11:00 pm »
Thank God my mobo dont have it,
so Iam free of the W11 annoyance.
Do you have read my post #15 ?

I don't have TPM chip either also I don't have any DRM protected media: no video, music, images, photos or books.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 10 Jul 2021, 11:10 pm »
I don't have TPM chip either also I don't have any DRM protected media: no video, music, images, photos or books.
Many YT videos may have DRM, and if the chip ''think'' you should show a certifivate for your current images ?
I have many PDF vintage tube books and if the TPM think they most have a valid certificate?
I dont see as W11 will please home custumers.

jules

« Reply #22 on: 11 Jul 2021, 06:45 am »
Groan, not another "upgrade"! Last time this happened I was penalized for being slow on the uptake by Microsoft making it impossible to transfer my old files across without having to buy a "special" program from them. I refused.

WGH

« Reply #23 on: 11 Jul 2021, 05:46 pm »
Windows 11 won't be a required update although all new computers in 6 months to a year will have it pre-installed. So many existing computers do not meet W11's requirements that I wouldn't be surprised that Microsoft extends Windows 10 end-of-life beyond 2025. And you can still use W10 forever after that date or until that computer has a catastrophic failure.

With all the Windows 11 news flying about a person would think it's happening right now. No such luck.
The only version of 11 available is through the Windows Insider Channel, specifically the Dev Channel.

The Dev Channel is the Alpha build: for highly technical users, unfinished code, buggy and unstable.
The Beta Channel build is not available yet and is for early adapters
The Release Preview Channel participants have access to the upcoming (almost finished) release before the OS is available worldwide.

Tom's Hardware recently posted an article about how to install the current Dev Channel release of Windows 11.
"In testing, we used this install method on two different virtual machines, both of which had just 2GB of RAM, no TPM and no Secure Boot. We did not get any warnings and the install worked without issue. We did not have a physical PC that didn't meet requirements to test with."

This does not mean the final release of W11 will run on PC's that do not meet the requirements, it only means this build will.

How to Clean Install Windows 11, No Product Key Required

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/clean-install-windows-11

lazydays

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jul 2021, 07:05 pm »
I'd just rather go back in time to Windows XP. Got stuck with Windows 8, and then two versions of 10. Both are just sanctioned viruses in my book
gary

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #25 on: 27 Jul 2021, 08:59 pm »
If I had the XP or W7 media it would be an option to think about seriously.  I noted with W11 the customer privacy are zero, non existent, they know everything you have now on your HD and everything you had in the past, not to mention web surfing.

JohnR

« Reply #26 on: 28 Jul 2021, 04:08 am »
"they know everything you have now on your HD" - do you have a source for that?

At any rate, if privacy is a concern this is probably another reason to take a look at Linux.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 28 Jul 2021, 07:05 pm »
"they know everything you have now on your HD" - do you have a source for that?

At any rate, if privacy is a concern this is probably another reason to take a look at Linux.
In last months in my PC W10 has begin doing unsolicited actions on my personal files, some weeks ago it made invisible a folder with naked babes and the Firefox userchrome file, its was not doing by the Cortana as I have uninstalled it, after some search I found these files were in the same place but the W10 made they invisible, I had made they visible again to my convenience. The W10 is a very smart OS but W11 will be even worse.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: 28 Jul 2021, 07:07 pm »
In last months in my PC W10 has begin doing unsolicited actions on my personal files, some weeks ago it made invisible a folder with naked babes and the Firefox userchrome file, its was not doing by the Cortana as I have uninstalled it, after some search I found these files were in the same place but the W10 made they invisible, I had made they visible again to my convenience.
Never heard of such a thing...sounds like you were hacked by a person then.   :scratch:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 28 Jul 2021, 07:15 pm »
Never heard of such a thing...sounds like you were hacked by a person then.   :scratch:
Well now you already heard, other bad giant in the internet are Goo, a few weeks a go at registering to a new email they asked me phone number and my address.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: 28 Jul 2021, 07:34 pm »
Well now you already heard, other bad giant in the internet are Goo, a few weeks a go at registering to a new email they asked me phone number and my address.
Perhaps you need a password system and a firewall like a Firewalla

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 28 Jul 2021, 07:59 pm »
Perhaps you need a password system and a firewall like a Firewalla?
I use the W-Defender firewall and the W10 logon have a long password, I prefer not use passwords manager softwares, I have a book with my passwords and I type the passwords every time I login in a site, Iam not lazy with passwords.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 29 Jul 2021, 09:39 pm »
The problems with certificates began :
Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to store.hifiman.com. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

What can you do about it?

The issue is most likely with the website, and there is nothing you can do to resolve it.

If you are on a corporate network or using anti-virus software, you can reach out to the support teams for assistance. You can also notify the website’s administrator about the problem.

Learn more…

Someone could be trying to impersonate the site and you should not continue.

Websites prove their identity via certificates. Firefox does not trust store.hifiman.com because its certificate issuer is unknown, the certificate is self-signed, or the server is not sending the correct intermediate certificates.

Error code: SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER

View Certificate

bacobits1

« Reply #33 on: 29 Jul 2021, 11:23 pm »
I'm using Malwarebytes full version and HTPS Everywhere and get warnings on all sites not using HTTPs everywhere. I think it was a Firefox extension.

WGH

« Reply #34 on: 29 Jul 2021, 11:38 pm »
Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to store.hifiman.com.

Websites prove their identity via certificates. Firefox does not trust store.hifiman.com because its certificate issuer is unknown, the certificate is self-signed, or the server is not sending the correct intermediate certificates.

Went to store.hifiman.com
Works for me. I use Firefox 91.0b8 (64 bit), Malwarebytes with realtime monitoring, Eset NOD32 and Comodo firewall. Connected just fine with no warnings or red flags.
Problem might be between the keyboard and your chair. That's always my problem.

bacobits1

« Reply #35 on: 30 Jul 2021, 12:46 am »
Corretct that HTTPS compliant site no problem here. If there was I would get a choice to go to the http site.

JohnR

« Reply #36 on: 30 Jul 2021, 03:11 am »
In last months in my PC W10 has begin doing unsolicited actions on my personal files,

There's no reason to think it's Microsoft doing that. I suggest running disk and malware checks.

djbnh

« Reply #37 on: 30 Jul 2021, 10:38 am »
It looks like I don't have to worry about Windows 11 anymore.

Now Microsoft’s app will say why your PC isn’t ready for Windows 11
https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/22550951/microsoft-pc-health-checkup-app-update-windows-11-compatibility-tool-details

I ran the Microsoft PC Health Check v2.3 and failed. I built my PC 10 years ago in 2011 using an Asus P8H67-V (REV3) motherboard and a 2nd Gen Intel i7 2600K 3.4G.
Windows 11 requires a UEFI with the Trusted Platform Module (TPM2.0) with Secure Boot

The Windows PC Health Check is available here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11

Looks like there's no PC Health Check App currently available at that link.

WGH

« Reply #38 on: 30 Jul 2021, 03:10 pm »
I read the PC Health Check App is being retooled to be clearer. I have the second version of the app and it seemed clear to me. Microsoft probably got tired of answering questions from everyone with old computers.

The TPM 2.0 requirement is another glitch. I just built a new computer with an Asus motherboard and a 9th Gen Intel processor, ran the PC Health Check App I downloaded when it was still available and the app said TPM was not available. TPM is turned off by default in Asus motherboards. I'll have to go into the UEFI to find it in Advanced Menu. But I won't find TPM in the menu because it is labeled PTT.

I can't see the average user who just uses email and the default Microsoft Edge figure out how to get into the BIOS and then go mucking about in the advanced settings without royally screwing things up. How would anyone even know that PTT = TPM? And now go try to explain the procedure to my cousin Ellen who is 74 years old, I dare you.

Windows 11 was just released into the Beta Channel today, it's getting closer to the Oct. or Nov. release date.

charmerci

« Reply #39 on: 30 Jul 2021, 04:26 pm »