Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer

jbuzas

Re: Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer
« Reply #180 on: 6 Apr 2021, 02:46 am »
From reading this thread, I am left with the impression that you can't connect the BR-20 to your network via wifi.  is that correct?   

Clive197

« Reply #181 on: 6 Apr 2021, 07:40 am »
As the BR-20 stands, no you can’t connect via wi-fi. You can however connect an external wi-fi dongle which a dealer can usually supply. They are inexpensive and easy to install, usually into a USB socket.

jbuzas

« Reply #182 on: 6 Apr 2021, 11:25 am »
thanks.  it seems to me that a unit with streaming capability should come ready for wifi. 

does the wifi work well with an antennae?  i guess if you are connecting directly to the Rpi it should.  does Bryston recommend a particular antennae?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #183 on: 6 Apr 2021, 11:30 am »
Chris may want to jump in but here is what I have on the Dongle:

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT:  Bryston WiFI Dongle Accessory Kit

July 2017

The Bryston WiFi Dongle Accessory Kit is a product that can be purchased by itself or with the purchase of a Bryston BDP Digital Player. 

The BDP will gain WiFi capability no longer requiring the user/installer to run a network cable, setting up a WiFi bridge or Powerline AV kit

The Bryston WiFi Dongle Accessory Kit will be available by September and will correspond with the release of our S2.36 firmware, which among other things will include comprehensive support for the accessory kit as described in the manual (a preliminary copy is linked below). 

The WiFi dongle included in this kit is capable of up to 300Mbps 802.11n and will work with 802.11a/b/g/n wireless capable networks.  Most if not all 802.11ac networks should be backwards compatible with one if not all of these versions.  An 802.11ac dongle wasn’t chosen for a variety of reasons, the primary of which was the limitation USB 2 interface. 

The kit will include:

•   WiFi Dongle
•   3 foot USB extension cable
(to avoid blocking neighboring USB Ports and positioning the dongle away from gear if needed)
•   Instructions

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #184 on: 9 Apr 2021, 02:48 am »
Started working on integrating Roon Ready into the BR-20 a few weeks ago and tonight noticed some new changes to Roon's UI that I thought was kind humorous and please don't take this the wrong way I think Roon is a great piece of software and totally understand why its so popular, I just prefer the thing I've invested so much time and effort in so please bashing of either piece of software I just felt like sharing.  However I fully endorse the community voicing there opinions about what piece of software they like to use for listening  :thumb:

zoom25

« Reply #185 on: 9 Apr 2021, 04:25 am »
Started working on integrating Roon Ready into the BR-20 a few weeks ago and tonight noticed some new changes to Roon's UI that I thought was kind humorous and please don't take this the wrong way I think Roon is a great piece of software and totally understand why its so popular, I just prefer the thing I've invested so much time and effort in so please bashing of either piece of software I just felt like sharing.  However I fully endorse the community voicing there opinions about what piece of software they like to use for listening  :thumb:

What am I not seeing/missing here?

(I haven't been on Roon in some time. 10% Manic Moose for album listening. Rest is Spotify.) I strongly hope that native bit-perfect Spotify playback will come eventually to Bryston without Shairplay.

Also, while Manic Moose may be lacking as of now with other options, I still really like it for its purpose. Straight forward. I am excited to see what you come up with Chris. All the best!!!!!  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #186 on: 9 Apr 2021, 12:19 pm »
thanks.  it seems to me that a unit with streaming capability should come ready for wifi. 

does the wifi work well with an antennae?  i guess if you are connecting directly to the Rpi it should.  does Bryston recommend a particular antennae?

Hi jb

There is a concern with internal Wi-Fi especially since it's pretty high power. It can cause all kinds of interference on high frequency signals and ultimately the audio itself.
It is very difficult to shield it so we felt it was better left out of a high quality product like the BR-20 and to use wired Ethernet instead.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #187 on: 9 Apr 2021, 06:52 pm »
What am I not seeing/missing here?

I've apparently only used roon for a total of 9 minutes over the previous 4 weeks

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #188 on: 9 Apr 2021, 06:52 pm »
Also, while Manic Moose may be lacking as of now with other options, I still really like it for its purpose. Straight forward. I am excited to see what you come up with Chris. All the best!!!!!  :thumb:

Thanks and thanks for sharing how you use your BDP  :D

zoom25

« Reply #189 on: 9 Apr 2021, 09:02 pm »
I've apparently only used roon for a total of 9 minutes over the previous 4 weeks

Oh yeah, mine probably looks even worse. I'll open it from time to time to check up on things and help out, but I don't really think much about it nowadays.

zoom25

« Reply #190 on: 9 Apr 2021, 09:09 pm »
Thanks and thanks for sharing how you use your BDP  :D

It's Spotify 90-95%% of the time and I actually rarely listen to full albums on Spotify. It's almost exclusively curated playlists for whatever mood, genre, or language. They really do have an understanding of what is appropriate for particular playlist and what goes together. That's still quite a mess on other streaming platforms and on Roon.

I'll fire up Manic Moose typically only right before bed and listen to an album from start to finish in a dim light room with light gaming.

I will say that I have been having problems with Manic Moose out of nowhere as of late. I haven't updated the firmware in months so I don't know what's causing it. WAV files from either NAS or USB work fine. However, the same FLAC files can often cause the system to freeze where you lose control and you can't stop the music or change it. Sometimes it recovers, other times it doesn't. It's never been an issue in the past. This is 16/44.1, so nothing crazy like 24/96 or 24/192. So I've been avoiding FLAC files now... :(

Clive197

« Reply #191 on: 10 Apr 2021, 07:03 pm »
My new BR-20 is settling in very well and now that I’ve ironed out some of the bugs I was experiencing like trying to get it to find and use my NAS I’m overjoyed. It took a down-load of the Manic Moose manual and a number of YouTube video’s to work out the drill down menus but I got there in the end.  An absolutely superb piece of kit which builds on the strengths of the BP-17/3 it replaced.
I also like the new remote controller, which has a nice feel and weight. I don’t miss the lack of illumination and the buttons have are easier than the BR-2. I’m not pressing the off button when I’m trying to raise the volume.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #192 on: 10 Apr 2021, 10:44 pm »
Hi Clive

Glad you are enjoying your BR-20 - it continues to surprise me as well. :thumb:

james

Clive197

« Reply #193 on: 11 Apr 2021, 02:18 pm »
A quick question. I have both Ethernet sockets connected (because I can). Do I really need the SVC Ethernet permanently connected? Do I need it for updates?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #194 on: 11 Apr 2021, 03:06 pm »
A quick question. I have both Ethernet sockets connected (because I can). Do I really need the SVC Ethernet permanently connected? Do I need it for updates?

Hi

Only for updates so you can disconnect the SVC.

I usually just swap over the streamer Ethernet to the SVC when needed for updates.

james

jbuzas

« Reply #195 on: 13 Apr 2021, 06:57 pm »
Hi jb

There is a concern with internal Wi-Fi especially since it's pretty high power. It can cause all kinds of interference on high frequency signals and ultimately the audio itself.
It is very difficult to shield it so we felt it was better left out of a high quality product like the BR-20 and to use wired Ethernet instead.

james

Thanks for the reply.  I don't understand the electronics, but I just note that there are some high end streamers that have wifi ready to go, e.g. Auralic Aires G2.1 and Naim ND 555.  And of course lots of lower end streamers too.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #196 on: 13 Apr 2021, 07:34 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I don't understand the electronics, but I just note that there are some high end streamers that have wifi ready to go, e.g. Auralic Aires G2.1 and Naim ND 555.  And of course lots of lower end streamers too.

Hi

I guess it comes down to what each company believes is the best way to provide as accurate and noise free a signal as possible.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #197 on: 16 Apr 2021, 06:26 pm »

SUBJECT: Bryston BR-20 – Newcastle U.K.

April 2021

Cloud6 Consulting

Hi Bryston folks;

I only recently installed one of these Bryston BR-20’s here in Newcastle, U.K.

Have to say how fantastic it is.

Operationally and audio wise.

Very nice job by you guys as always.

Cloud6 Consulting

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #198 on: 29 Apr 2021, 04:58 pm »

SUBJECT: Bryston BR-20 – Audio Ark - Edmonton

April 2021

Audio Ark

More on the Bryston BR-20 Preamplifier.

Just wanted to share just how impressed we are with this one.   

It really does have it all:

* resolution

* dynamics

* articulation

* stunning feature set.

In a word; magnificent.

Mr. Brian Russell would have been so, so proud.

robbie2771

« Reply #199 on: 7 May 2021, 05:43 pm »
Hi Rob

Yes AKM had a huge fire so DAC chips are getting hard to come by.  Also we have been over-run with orders on the BR20 so any new orders are probably 3-4 months out.

james

Hi James,
I know you are a busy man, but could you please give an update when I can expect to receive my preorder for the Bryston BR-20 in 17” black with hdmi upgrade as I placed my order in early November 2020.
I am located near Toronto
Thank you
Rob