Name Change for the Apocalypse Sub.

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« on: 20 Feb 2003, 07:59 pm »
We are officially changing the name for our new sub that we released as "The Apocalypse". Adire Audio has a new car audio product arriving soon and they had already requistioned the name for their product.

I don't know how we both picked the same name for a new product but it happened. So to avoid confusion we are going to have a different name for our new subwoofer.

In addition we will be offering a 12" version of the sub using a modified Brahma 12" driver in the same enclosure.

The names for these two products will be:

PMD 15" (Pressure Modulation Device 15" Tumult)

Formerly known as "The Apocalypse" and using the 15" Tumult driver.

PMD 12" (Pressure Modulation Device 12" Brahma)

Same as above but using a modified Brahma 12" in place of the Tumult.

ETA for both products is going to be around April. It is going to take us longer to get the amplifiers than originally planned and we are doing some modifications to give users the option of EQing the bottom end or not via a simple switch.

scottpretti

amp?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2003, 05:30 pm »
Kevin,

Will you be selling the modified Keiga amps, for us DIYers?  I have to say, your intro price on the Apocalypse (oops) the PMD 15 is a good deal.

Kevin P

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2003, 06:49 pm »
Scott:

Yes... I think we will sell the modified Keiga for DIY purposes.  For ported designs the stock unit with the rumble filter set high is a good idea.  For our application it is not.  

Also the EQ circuit will be applicable to our sealed enclosure only or one with the same internal volume.  If you change the box volume your EQ needs change also.... but not by a large amount.  You could get away with a 2.75cu. ft box and the same EQ circuit.

I'm also considering offering some other smaller subs.  Something that would be about a 11-12" cube with a modified Brahma 10" driver would give plenty of output for most people's needs and be very high in WAF.  We could add a PR for more output and keep it small.   I'm really big on keeping the size small and keeping all the units we offer very musical so the PR approach would have to be designed with that in mind.

Price on the PMD 15" may even come in lower than the $1350..... we will have to see.  The retail price of the driver is $499 and the retail on the stock Keiga amp is about $575 so you are getting the enclosure built  and everything installed with the custom EQ solution on the amp for a very reasonable price.  

Keep an eye on the site.... I'll release more news as we make progress on the product line.

Kevin
www.diycable.com

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2003, 07:05 pm »
Kevin,
I have a name suggestion.  How 'bout the "Bitch-Slapper" or to give it that Gangsta Rapper flair, the "Beache-Slappa"...Just kidding!

Jman

Martice

Name Suggestion
« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2003, 12:05 pm »
I misread your post and submitted a name for your subs. Since you've already named them I still would like to submit a last second choice because although I like the PMD 15", how do you go from the sensational "Apocalypse" to the low key "PMD"? I have since come up with an alternative that you wouldn't have to change the name from what you already have but with something that has a little more flair to stick in the mind.

Since the drivers are already called the PMD's, the name is quite obvious:

The Peace Maker 15 or the Peace Maker 12.

These two make up the Peace Maker Series of subs for DIY cable.

Cheers

Kevin P

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2003, 07:24 pm »
Actually there isn't a winning name yet.   I'm still undecided and I've gotten busy on a couple other projects while the plate amps for the new subs are on order and on their ride across the Pacific.

Keep the names coming.  I'll reward the winner with some kind of gift.

Martice

On a lighter note........
« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2003, 07:32 pm »
How about M.O.A.S or simply MOAS (pro. Mo Ass)

Mother.Of.All.Subs

:lol:  

Laugh if you like but it does have a ring to it.

Martice

Wait a minute.....
« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2003, 03:13 am »
I don't know which thread is the most looked at so I'll post over here as well.

DIY Cable E.M. or E.S. Subwoofer Series

(E.M. = Earth Mover)

or

(E.S. = Earth Shaker )

TSUNAMI 12" (pron. soo na mee)
(def. Japanese for a very large ocean wave caused by an underwater earthquake or volcanic eruption.)

SEISMOS 15" (pron. size mose)

(def. Greek for Earth Quake)

As far as the the 11" cube using the Brahma 10" Driver goes why not the name:

'TEMBLOR'  (pron. tem bl or)

(def. Latin meaning tremulous shaking)

Martice

While I'm on a roll..
« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2003, 01:34 pm »
How about DIY Cable's Seismic Series

Mighty Joe = 10" Brahma

Rodan = 12" sub

King Ghidora = 15" sub

These names are from the classic Japanese monster flicks of old.  Although King Kong and Godzilla have been left off of the list, I think the above names get the point across quite well as all of them were beautiful to watch and hear but also destructive when pushed.

JoshK

Re: On a lighter note........
« Reply #9 on: 21 Mar 2003, 02:37 pm »
Quote from: Martice
How about M.O.A.S or simply MOAS (pro. Mo Ass)

Mother.Of.All.Subs

Laugh if you like but it does have a ring to it.

If you are more than 2, do you say I want some MOAS?