Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 136

genjamon

Re: Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 136
« Reply #140 on: 12 Jan 2021, 11:24 pm »
Hey that strip purifier looks pretty cool.  I still have my highly tricked out CPT Equi=Core balanced power transformer as my conditioner - the same one Wig talked about having before.  I've been eyeing this stuff with interest in trying, but now am curious about the prospect of directly wiring one of these strips to the secondaries of the Equi=Core transformer.  That would add filtering between outlets that the Equi=Core doesn't currently have along with surge protection which might be nice too.  I wonder how close such a combo might get to the full Puritan 136 or 156 performance.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #141 on: 12 Jan 2021, 11:30 pm »
I wonder what the price of that power strip is. 

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #142 on: 12 Jan 2021, 11:51 pm »
I wonder what the price of that power strip is.

genjamon

« Reply #143 on: 13 Jan 2021, 12:04 am »
Wow, ok nevermind

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #144 on: 13 Jan 2021, 12:14 am »
Wow, ok nevermind
Yeah stuff is pricey. I’m debating the PSM156 and trying to see if a vendor will do a demo or a return policy at least. Presently I have the Synergistic Research Powercell 8 UEF SE which I like but read so many things about the 156 I’m intrigued.

Early B.

« Reply #145 on: 13 Jan 2021, 02:48 am »
Yeah, with those prices, I'll wait on a 156 or 1512 to start showing up on the used market. If I get a 156, I'll use my existing power conditioner as the power strip for my subs.

Are those outlet covers removable? Seems like they would be annoying. 

genjamon

« Reply #146 on: 13 Jan 2021, 02:52 am »
Don’t get me wrong, the overall prices seem reasonable for me. I was only referring to my thought bubble about getting one of their power strips to daisy chain with my existing BPT. At $900, it seems like it would be more cost effective to just buy the big boy 156 and sell or repurpose the BPT to a second system.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #147 on: 13 Jan 2021, 03:12 am »
I think a regular power strip would be fine as long as the max current draw isn't too much.

AndrewA

« Reply #148 on: 13 Jan 2021, 10:24 pm »
There's a good deal more inside the 106/106DC than just six receptacles and some quality wiring.
https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/puritan2/

rareace

« Reply #149 on: 15 Jan 2021, 12:15 am »
I just got the 156 and have owned my AC3500-P for almost a year now. Needed another conditioner for my second system so decided to give the Puritan a try since everyone is raving about. First impressions is they are similar and I didn't notice it blowing away the Inakustik by any means. In fact I prefer the Inakustik with my tube amp as the 156 seems to make a transformer buzz. However with Solid State it is dead quiet. Curious to the folks that have owned both what the Puritan does better than the Inakustik? Maybe I need to burn the 156 more...Also looking to add a CAD GC3 ground box to the Puritan in the next few weeks to find out if there is an improvement.
-Alex

Big Red Machine

« Reply #150 on: 15 Jan 2021, 02:01 am »
The Inakustik is very good. The Puritan delivered more quiet in the background and more detail in the sound delivered. The Inakustik is #2 to me and these 2 way above all others. But if you have a different power concern, neither of these may be for you.

I cannot say I have less background noise with the added Puritan Groundmaster. I'll have to unplug it and give it a listen.

Cappy

« Reply #151 on: 15 Jan 2021, 02:53 am »
Inakustik inside:

Rx8man

« Reply #152 on: 15 Jan 2021, 03:28 am »
Blows away, crushes, destroys, upgraded, are way overused and exaggerated.   If the photo of the 3500P is indicative of lesser performance due to the innards, that proves no point either.

Both PC's are designed differently to address the same type of problems in a given system.

Early B.

« Reply #153 on: 15 Jan 2021, 03:41 am »
Inakustik inside:

What's underneath the board? A transformer?

Cappy

« Reply #154 on: 15 Jan 2021, 03:50 am »
A few more angles:

Wig

« Reply #155 on: 15 Jan 2021, 05:45 pm »
I just got the 156 and have owned my AC3500-P for almost a year now. Needed another conditioner for my second system so decided to give the Puritan a try since everyone is raving about. First impressions is they are similar and I didn't notice it blowing away the Inakustik by any means. In fact I prefer the Inakustik with my tube amp as the 156 seems to make a transformer buzz. However with Solid State it is dead quiet. Curious to the folks that have owned both what the Puritan does better than the Inakustik? Maybe I need to burn the 156 more...Also looking to add a CAD GC3 ground box to the Puritan in the next few weeks to find out if there is an improvement.
-Alex

Yes the Inakustik AC 3500-P was quite good in my system as well but the Puritan without any burn-in exceeded the performance of the Inakustik; when you can hear ambiance spatial retrieval, deeper/wider sound stage, tighter image focus and a more engaging listening experience.  That's a tangible emotion that's hard to get away from when you hear it and this was without the ground master which elevated things even further  :D

I evaluated both conditioners with a Coda Class A SS 18 Watts Amp and a Luxman KT88 Tube Amp and no hum or buzzing; I have found that manufacturers over torque things resulting in unwanted sounds... More refinement after 2 weeks of burn-in.

Wig :thumb:

AndrewA

« Reply #156 on: 15 Jan 2021, 10:45 pm »
A series of good photos here.
https://www.hifi-voice.com/testy-a-recenze/prislusenstvi-a-doplnky/2327-inakustik-ac-3500p
Scroll down.  I believe the only thing under the large black mounting board is a couple of wires.

But what might seem like an excessively large enclosure for what's inside doesn't mean that the unit doesn't work as described.  There have been many very positive reviews of it, as well as their cables.

However, my PSM 156 is staying put.

Chris Adams

« Reply #157 on: 16 Jan 2021, 03:34 am »
Has anyone been able to compare a PSM 156 with a PI Audio Uberbuss?

rareace

« Reply #158 on: 16 Jan 2021, 05:13 am »
Wig, did you try any isolation platforms for the Inakustik. When I placed a Relaxa 530 under it there was a huge increase in performance. I had to take it out and insert it twice just to make sure my ears weren’t playing tricks on me.
-Alex

Wig

« Reply #159 on: 16 Jan 2021, 06:10 pm »
Wig, did you try any isolation platforms for the Inakustik. When I placed a Relaxa 530 under it there was a huge increase in performance. I had to take it out and insert it twice just to make sure my ears weren’t playing tricks on me.
-Alex

Yes; 2" Maple platform and Symposium Acoustics Rollerblock HDSE with superballs.

My entire audio rack is suspended on Rollerblocks and each shelf is 2" of  maple and each component is sitting on Isoacoustics Gaia isolation devices; very noticeable improvements and allows me to hear discernable differences in many components or cables I routinely evaluate.  :D

Wig :thumb: