High fidelity wireless DAC/streamer below 2k

tommydoan84

High fidelity wireless DAC/streamer below 2k
« on: 24 Apr 2019, 05:40 pm »
Dear all,

I had several DACs including Schitt Modi Multibit, Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100. I did enjoy them for a while and time to look for a new change in term of sonic and new hi-res features. New DAC technology is increasing exponentially in the past years.

I just attended to Axpona 2019 hifi show in Chicago last week and audition several high end DACs. I was stunned at their sonic quality and how fast technology was evolved in the recent years. I'm a die hard fanboy for analog gig: class A tube amp, turntable, reel to reel machine. However, after i went to Axpona show this year and experienced it for myself, it convinces me that digital domain has come a very far and long way now. Digital can really compete head on to any top notched/high end analog system these days. Period.

Here's what i'm looking for at this DAC:
- Wireless is a MUST
- Be able to stream hi-res FLAC files from Qobuz at least 24 bit/192k. Higher bit rate is better 32 bits, 64bits up sampling capability, DSD, and/or MQA Tidal. MQA is not required for me since I'm going with Qobuz anyway for hi-res streaming.
- I don't need headphone preamp option

Here's something that meet my requirement and beyond : Cary DMS-600. I listened to this DAC myself at the show and their sonic quality is stunning! beats alot of its Vinyl LP counterpart any day. Another DAC that i really like is Lampizator Tube Dac
DMS-600 Network Audio Player | Cary Audio
The Atlantic DAC — LampizatOr North America
https://www.caryaudio.com/products/dms-600-network-audio-player/
https://www.lampizator.com/the-atlantic-dac-1

Both Cary DMS-600 DAC and lampizator Atlantic DAC are a out of my budget range so i want to ask if anyone knows anything similar to this with lower budget about 2k range or below would be perfect for me.

Any inputs are welcome and thank you in advance
Best regards,
Tom

fredgarvin

Re: High fidelity wireless DAC/streamer below 2k
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2019, 06:07 pm »
Here on cheap and cheerful, I think we are limited to -$450. I know the welcome thread says $350 for components as a limit, but the DAC list sticky is -$450.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2019, 03:07 pm »
Yes, as Fred noted guidelines are $350 for components.  No problem at all, I'll move it to the Discless Circle for you.  Navigating AC is always somewhat difficult for new members as it doesn't fit the normal forum mapping, it'll make sense very quickly.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2019, 03:46 pm »
I'm sure there are tons of things at that price point.  I have a Hegel H190 in a secondary system and I've seen a bunch of the prior models (H160) going for less than your budget.  Here's a review - https://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/hegel/1.html  and here's a used one - https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9e197-hegel-h160-solid-state

The only caveat I have with my H190 (for me personally and not necessary for everyone) is its limited USB functionality (24/96 but no driver needed) and it only does to 192kHz via DLNA and I have lots of DSD and some PCM over 192kHz.  Since it sits in a secondary system, I have a mini Windows 10 PC running JRiver with a USB to SPDIF converter so I can convert DSD to 176.4.  It sounds great.  I'm sure there are lots more choices and the Hegel of course is an integrated amp as well so there are other things without that built in.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2019, 06:34 pm »
......Both Cary DMS-600 DAC and lampizator Atlantic DAC are a out of my budget range so i want to ask if anyone knows anything similar to this with lower budget about 2k range or below would be perfect for me......
The short answer is no. There's a reason these dacs cost significantly more than $2k.  You can approach that price point for perhaps a used Lampizator Level 5 or Level 6, or a used Modwright Elyse dac. Those sound very good and may get you pretty close to what you're after.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2019, 07:40 pm »
Used is the best way to get what you want. I have heard both the PS Audio Perfectwave DAC MkII and the latest PS Audio Directstream DAC ($5999) in high end systems and both are excellent.

PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Mk II w/ Bridge & Upgraded - used $1875.
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9cj98-ps-audio-perfectwave-dac-w-bridge-da-converters

bacobits1

JackD

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2019, 02:31 am »
Teac NT-505 and you can solve the wireless issue easily with a WiFi extender. In your price range from HiFi Heaven and Sound Approach. Far safer approach than the discontinued PS Audio products and I own a Directstream Sr with Bridge II. 

Mike-48

« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2019, 06:12 am »
You are looking for the holy grail, and I hope you find it!  Not easy at 2K, especially if you are looking for a specific kind of top-quality sound.

My advice is, AVOID any PS Audio product with the original "Bridge" network adapter: it was DBD (defective by design) and inserted extra gaps between tracks -- extremely distracting when listening to some albums! PS Audio since has released the Bridge II without that problem, but that retails for $899 on their site.

Wireless is tough to make absolutely reliable. I found it worthwhile to get Ethernet installed at home, but that's not practical in all cases.

DACs are getting better, but also they are getting more expensive, and network streaming adds significantly to the cost, typically. (For example, the Bricasti stream receiver is about $2400 and the Auralic Aries G1 is a little more and neither has a DAC.) You might come close with a used DAC and a used Auralic Aries femto, say, but the problem with used is that you generally can't try before buying.

Two candidates said to be very good and in your price range are the Cambridge Audio 851N and the miniDSP SHD. Still, I'm dubious that either would have the sort of tubey sound that I associate with Cary and Lampizator.  (Another candidate might be the new Elac DDP-2.)

I do agree that digital is very much better these days. I wish you good luck in finding something to meet your needs!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 3 May 2019, 11:13 am »
I use a Netgear Powerline 1200 to extend my wired network to my music server, without any functional issues:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122673&nm_mc=KNC-MSNSearch-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-MSNSearch-PC-_-pla-_-Network+-+Powerline-_-Netgear+Inc.-_-33122673&msclkid=58bc577c600a1d8ec4c10bb077ecc099&gclid=COfH2Iic_-ECFaKUxQIdNjYGLg&gclsrc=ds

My only compliants are three extra LEDs in the listening room and the design of the case doesn't quite allow for use of the top receptacle by a grounded plug (without trimming the plug slightly).  Anyway should relieve you of needing a wireless DAC/streamer.

Current prices for used PS Audio DirectStream Juniors are at the edge of your $2,000 USD budget.  I enjoy mine.  Lots of digital input options (everything but BNC), makes all my music Redbook - DSD128 and MQA sound better (couldn't say that about a Schiit Gungnir MB), continuous firmware upgrades (uses FPGA versus over the counter chips), and backed by a good company (long history/strong customer support/deep R&D & manufacturing resources).

audioengr

« Reply #10 on: 3 May 2019, 04:34 pm »
This is what several of my customers use and they have compared it to many more expensive rigs, like Aurender N10 and Bluesound.  It's a killer combination that is very difficult to beat for less than $15K or $20K.  Top-tier sound quality:

Sonos Connect - $399

Empirical Audio Synchro-Mesh reclocker - $699

Empirical Audio Dynamo LPS - $899

Empirical Audio Reference S/PDIF BNC coax - $510

Total = $2.5K

It will stream anything that is not hi-res and is very reliable.  Good user interface.  You don't want to use the DAC inside, only the digital feed.

Now for the DAC.  I would highly recommend the Metrum gear.  They have solutions in several price ranges:

https://americas.metrumacoustics.com/product-category/digital-to-analog-conversion/

Steve N.

OzarkTom

« Reply #11 on: 3 May 2019, 09:05 pm »
Take a look at the Buesound Node 2i  for $500. You can buy one from Music Direct within 60 days if not happy. Stream Tune in, Tidal, Amazon Music, Qobus, Pandora, Spotify, and many others. If that is too cheap for you, look into the higher priced NAD units. I doubt if you would be dispointed by any of  these. Bluesoumnd is even run by Alexa now if you have an Echo Dot.

NAD is also sold by Music Direct with a 60 day return policy.