Backup techniques for large amounts of data

ctviggen

Backup techniques for large amounts of data
« on: 15 May 2011, 02:07 pm »
I am currently using second copy (a trial version) to copy one 1.5TB drive to another.  When I go past 1.5TB, I'll likely have 4.5 TB installed in an unraid server (using three 1.5TB drives).  How would I back this up?  The cheapest option appears to be another 3 1.5TB drives, but what do I put the drives in and what programs can I use to back up over multiple drives (second copy does not seem a likely candidate, since the FAQ specifically recommends against this).

Thanks for any suggestions.

toddbagwell

Re: Backup techniques for large amounts of data
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2011, 02:26 pm »
What operating system are you using?
Once all the drives are installed into the array, you should be able to just copy from old to new, and the raid drivers in the box will sort it out. And, yes, at first thought, you'll likely need a second box... Synology and q-nap seem to have good reputations. I've been using a promise brand nas for 5 years with no issues.

I'm lucky to have a RAID array of 4 1TB drives which gives me 2.7 TB storage, and so i use 3TB single drives as backup, using microsoft's SyncToy program to keep things well, synced!

Let me know if i missed something
Todd

Some boxes will copy, but only to another of the same make & model.

I am currently using second copy (a trial version) to copy one 1.5TB drive to another.  When I go past 1.5TB, I'll likely have 4.5 TB installed in an unraid server (using three 1.5TB drives).  How would I back this up?  The cheapest option appears to be another 3 1.5TB drives, but what do I put the drives in and what programs can I use to back up over multiple drives (second copy does not seem a likely candidate, since the FAQ specifically recommends against this).

Thanks for any suggestions.